Does Locus classic no longer support SVGs?

Started by jusc, August 14, 2023, 16:33:49

jusc

Hello all,

after a long time I now come to deal again more with Locus. I still have an older version of Locus Classic 3.33.2 that works well with the V3 maps and a theme I developed on my old Galaxy S2. On the new S23 Ultra runs the version 3.69.1 of Locus.
Unfortunately SVG patterns are not displayed there. If I swap an SVG for a PNG the pattern is displayed though. Can this be the case?
for example: Pattern is not shown:
<lineSymbol src="file:patterns/cliff.svg"  dx="1" repeat="true"  repeat-gap="0dp" scale="0.5" scale-icon-size="14,1.2" />
After the exchange of cliff.svg to cliff.png, it works:
<lineSymbol src="file:patterns/cliff.png"  dx="1" repeat="true"  repeat-gap="0dp" scale="0.5" scale-icon-size="14,1.2" />

Can that be?
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

Hmm, V3 engine is still the same good old modified MapsForge library shared in Locus Classic and also Locus Map 4 and used also for V3 LoMaps that use SVG icons. Simply: I do not know a reason why it should not work.

If you need to use V3 maps, share a theme with me and I'll try to look at it. But V3 maps do not have a future and I'm only waiting on the moment, usage of these maps will be so low, I'll be able to remove support from the app completely.

Petr shared tools to convert V3 themes to the new V4. So if you are interested, it is here.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

@menion
Did you not change the SVG engine at some stage? I remember I had trouble in the past making sure my SVG icons were sufficiently simplified to work in Locus. I think that changed at some point, unless I just simplified them myself in Inkscape as a matter of course.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: jusc

Menion

Hmm, good memory! You are of course correct. As I see, together with the bigger update of the V4 engine, in 06/2022, SVG system was united for both V3 and V4 engines.
So yes, it is possible that something in your icons does not work correctly and some update of these icons may help. Thanks @john_percy .
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Hello,

I understand and I can test this.
@John, can you give me a hint what you changed in the SVGs?
Thanks in advance
Regards J.
  •  

john_percy

As best I can recollect:
In Inkscape
- Ungroup everything [Objects]
- Simplify paths until just before the drawing visibly distorts [Path]
- Clean up document [File]
- Save as Plain SVG [File]

In SVGCleaner
- Use defaults

But I don't know which are the key steps. It was just trial and error for me.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: jusc