[APP] - version 4.18.+ ( 8/2023 )

Started by Menion, August 02, 2023, 12:37:41

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on August 05, 2023, 12:23:56PC browser goes to GD folder from Aug 2nd, version 4.18.0, not 4.18.1, even on PC.
Or do you have a MAGIC link instead :-) ?
Sorry, my bad, didn't see it's about the .1 :(
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on August 05, 2023, 07:31:02
Quote from: slarti76 on August 05, 2023, 00:25:57Problem with SRTM/HGT:
I downloaded some 1" elevation data from here: http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem1d.html

Go for Sonny's LIDAR DTMs instead. Much better than SRTM.
Thx, seems to work with that. Still perhaps worth looking into whether the (other) data is buggy or Locus...
  •  

TrulloF

Theme selection doesn't work at all in latest version for me. Where do we need to put them? Updated Play version over AfA one accidentally.
  •  

TrulloF

Quote from: TrulloF on August 05, 2023, 19:17:36Theme selection doesn't work at all in latest version for me. Where do we need to put them? Updated Play version over AfA one accidentally.
Fixed it by choosing folder in app again. Moving files to android/media wasn't enough.
  •  

Menion

Ah damn, .1 version on Drive! I was releasing the version at Friday afternoon and forget on it (still a manual task). Since Saturday I`m on a small vacation, but I`ll try to connect home and upload it tomorrow. Sorry!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lor74cas

Hello, in the daily forecast detail panel it would be useful to have a link to the next and previous day at the bottom, avoiding having to go back to the main forecast menu each time.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luce

Marek Scholtz

Hi guys,

@freischneider @Graf Geo @Andrew Heard @Tapio @joeloc

thank you for your feedback, that at least red push pin works. Now, we have updated also POI handling to new Google Maps format and hopefully they won't change it in a month. If you encounter silly URL in search window in the next release version, check if you are on latest Google Maps version and if yes, let us know.

Jan Čapek

@joeloc @michaelbechtold

Guys, I think you already forgot that our old search definitely wasn't the same as the one available in Google Maps app/web. You describe it as it was and we ruin it with new search. In fact, that "bike shop" example was completely unusable before as it is now. I understand what could be the ideal state, and believe us, we know the importance of the search capability.

So,
1) The new search what we introduced this year is far from final. Even thanks to your feedbacks, we have clear vision what should be our next steps in order to significantly improve it. But for summer, we had to relocate our limited resources also to other tasks. We plan to get back to it during fall.
2) Yes, it is technically possible to implement Google Search/Maps API (not the one which was in app before), but if we did "just" that, it would bring several MAJOR downsides for us, not mentioning that it would still don't fully replicate search experience as on Google Maps. Some of these are for example limitation of use by only portion of our users, queries limits, inability to search our own/future content and interconnectedness with it, costs, and so on. So we anyway had to start with revamping our own search platform from the ground which will be able to get several search feeds together. What you have in the app now is its first iteration.
3) iOS is definitely not the reason why we choose this path, it is much wider than that. Remember, to find shops in the city around you, Google will always be ahead of us. We are not aiming in exactly same direction as they are. Only after we reach the point when we are unable to do improvement on top of current solution and still be too week in some search use-cases, we will merge it with another search provider to get better results.
4) Smart search MUST be able to return result >1000km far away if it might be relevant. You can already filter results to your map area. I don't consider this to be problem, I believe all issues related to this is rather that search is unable to find places what you expect to find (for example those around you). And this is matter of improving search in general. 
5) There are few main areas to work on now.
- The current implementations of POI category search and search by POIs names are too separated now
- improvements of "search dictionaries" so it will better understand what user want to get
- better data for determining POI significance.
- better work with different languages
These might have significant impact, but they will be tough to conquer, so which us luck.

@Andrew Heard
6) Topic with sharing data from Google Maps is only indirectly relevant with search capabilities. First, it is not "meant" to be used this way - it is implemented primarily for sharing data via emails/messages etc. where receiver ends up on Google Maps again. Note, that not many of other navigation apps registers this command and shows itself in such sharing dialog. Locus Map is, and we are trying to overcome this by parsing provided data and in case we can't determine its location, we throws its name to search.

But Google recently changed something and what previously partially worked now throws unusable URL to search field. Current app version didn't change anything in this and as Marek stated above, he already fixed it again for new upcoming version.

As stated above, our priority is now to get better search relevance on top of data we are working with, which might increase change you find shared location from Google Maps in Locus Map. Indeed parsing name from Google Maps might probably work better even with old Google SDK which we used in the app before. On other hand, we will have hard time to pair the result with data of POI in our DB with this approach. So the final solution to this remains to be seen, I can assure you we are aware of your feedback in this.

Jan Čapek

•  
    The following users thanked this post: slarti76

Saturo

I need the Afa Version and get into trouble when downloading from Google Drive.
Hitting the download button effects nothing and clicking the linktext leads to a 404 Error.

I have checked it with every browser on my phone.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

@Saturo & @Tapio
APK files are already on Google Drive since yesterday and it seems to work correctly. Which file are you unable to download? Give it a second try, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Graf Geo

Correct. Download and installation of version 4.18.1 afa from GD works fine.
Thanks, Menion.
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

jonny.blue

Quote from: Saturo on August 08, 2023, 19:39:29I need the Afa Version and get into trouble when downloading from Google Drive.
Hitting the download button effects nothing and clicking the linktext leads to a 404 Error.

I have checked it with every browser on my phone.

Same problem for me ...
  •  

Tapio

Works fine (Google Drive app), I was just stupid and checked the beta folder instead of the release one.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •