- list of news of public versions
- Public versions
- Beta versions

Versions
2. 8. 2023 - Locus 4.18.0
4. 8. 2023 - Locus 4.18.1
15. 8. 2023 - Locus 4.18.2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

freischneider

Sharing with G-Maps does not work. I select a store, restaurant in Maps. In the opened POI I then go to Share, there I select Locus.
The whole thing is now passed to Locus in the search and this finds nothing.
If I make a long click on the map in Maps, a red poi is created. If I go there to Share and select Locus, a Locus is created at this point a temporary point.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Graf Geo

I can confirm this.
However, if you use Google Maps in the browser, it works.
SG S10, Android 12

Andrew Heard

Sharing of my own created "red push pin" from GMaps to LM4 now works - thanks! But sharing of existing GMaps POI doesn't work/ has different behavior to 4.17. Now LM4 Search will display the shared link as text, for example https://maps.app.goo.gl/zmQaPsNkSRVfqtDn6, and display "No search results" rather than moving to that point. When I open this example URL in my web browser, it displays the correct POI.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a

Menion

Hi guys, sharing points from Google Maps does not work for years as I know. Somewhere in 2021 maybe even later, they changed the format and the information app receives can no longer be simply converted to any text or coordinates.

Or you had a different experience with Locus Map 4.16-?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lor74cas

Hello,
"add: option to hide all other tracks except the currently active one"
useful, but a little too hidden in the track menu under tools, an icon on the track info header would be better.

Be aware that if you use my attached icon you have to pay me the rights  ;D
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on August 03, 2023, 08:11:37Hi guys, sharing points from Google Maps does not work for years as I know. Somewhere in 2021 maybe even later, they changed the format and the information app receives can no longer be simply converted to any text or coordinates.
What about then at least adding support for PlusCode? That can be copied from Maps with one tap and surely be parsed by Locus search without ambiguity?!

T-mo

Router Source online
  • with Google I always get a request-error
  • with graphhopper I get this error when end-point is not set at street but at building. Moving it slightly by some meters all is fine. So solvable if you are aware of possible troublemakers. Maybe optimisable.
  •  

T-mo

Quote from: Andrew Heard on August 03, 2023, 00:56:16...But sharing of existing GMaps POI doesn't work/ has different behavior to 4.17. Now LM4 Search will display the shared link as text, for example https://maps.app.goo.gl/zmQaPsNkSRVfqtDn6, and display "No search results" rather than moving to that point. When I open this example URL in my web browser, it displays the correct POI.
I guess that is about PlaceIDs and requires API-usage, if possible at all.
This can not be simply decoded or parsed like simple MapURLs with lat-lon. Currently only sharing a nearby set marking seems to be of help.

Tapio

Quote from: slarti76 on August 03, 2023, 13:18:55What about then at least adding support for PlusCode? That can be copied from Maps with one tap and surely be parsed by Locus search without ambiguity?!
++
You may be interested in my Pluscode<->Latlon converter. Supports both types of Pluscode. Works locally, except Pluscode with city name needs a www lookup.
Intermediate Tasker users will know how to use this function. https://taskernet.com/shares/?user=AS35m8kdDIMDeveQcQfRglam%2Fah1mTW%2FWcg05FZ39c0i1q%2F77iY3E7cIwxCkXqJTaTA%3D&id=Task%3AfGPS_Pluscode
See: https://youtu.be/N5vhMGWpFs8
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on August 03, 2023, 08:11:37Hi guys, sharing points from Google Maps does not work for years as I know. Somewhere in 2021 maybe even later, they changed the format and the information app receives can no longer be simply converted to any text or coordinates.

Or you had a different experience with Locus Map 4.16-?
@Menion - strange, different to my experience, it (red push pin) had worked ~4.16, stopped working ~4.17, and is now working again. I only started using GMaps recently as a workaround for the broken LM4 online search experience which I now find frustrating. Sorry to complain, but it's just how it feels.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: slarti76 on August 03, 2023, 13:18:55What about then at least adding support for PlusCode? That can be copied from Maps with one tap and surely be parsed by Locus search without ambiguity?!
@slarti76 - thanks, hadn't used +codes before. Still slower (many more taps) than direct "share" of a point from my testing:
  • drag POI details down a few times
  • tap on "See all"
  • tap on +code (very little visual feedback BTW)
  • switch back to LM4
  • open Search (maybe side panel button)
  • paste clipboard (maybe more steps here)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: T-mo on August 03, 2023, 17:53:23I guess that is about PlaceIDs and requires API-usage, if possible at all.
This can not be simply decoded or parsed like simple MapURLs with lat-lon. Currently only sharing a nearby set marking seems to be of help.
@T-mo - thanks - I guess an "ordinary" user like me doesn't know those IT details, and just "expect" that tapping the GMap Share, then selecting LM4, will seamlessly work. Unrealistic expectation I guess, but tell that to the confused user - what is the purpose of the "Share" button otherwise?
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on August 04, 2023, 01:21:38but tell that to the confused user - what is the purpose of the "Share" button otherwise?
Transporting one fixed format information to another user. This cannot work for inter-app communication, with target app being an unknown entity for the sender.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Andrew Heard on August 04, 2023, 01:17:34
@slarti76 - thanks, hadn't used +codes before. Still slower (many more taps) than direct "share" of a point from my testing:
  • drag POI details down a few times
  • tap on "See all"
  • tap on +code (very little visual feedback BTW)
  • switch back to LM4
  • open Search (maybe side panel button)
  • paste clipboard (maybe more steps here)
Yeah, agreed, but
a) if we don't have another always-working solution,
b) surely no problem with parsing (well-defined as far as I understand)
c) at least last two steps could be improved if Locus adds a PlusCode support by automatically inserting clipboard content in search field (if it parses as PlusCode).
Heck, Locus could parse the clipboard when opening the search and automatically switch to PlusCode if it parses.

Honestly, I'm a little diappointed how the missing ability to correctly share positions from Google is waved away here. Menion et al should be aware that this is an ability that is absolutely crucial for "normal" users. OSM is nice and well, but let's face it, GMaps will always be more up-to-date. Rarely anyone relies on OSM POIs alone, so we all search stuff in GMaps all the time and want to easily enter the points in Locus. This is not something to just say "hasn't been working for a while, so what?"...