Locus without Google?

Started by Gorkde, June 21, 2023, 15:39:48

Gorkde

Will any version of Locus work without the Google services?

Since totalitarism is on the rise I want to use a Google free phone.

Since Locus is my most used app and it could be a replacement for Google Maps then I would like to know if it needs the Google Services to work.

Would it for example work with Graphene OS?
  •  

Menion

Hello,
Google Play services are used in some cases (purchases of subscription directly over the app, Google-assisted GNSS location), but are not required. This is correct in the case of Locus Map 4. Locus Classic needs Play services to verify the purchased license.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gorkde

So there's no way using the old Locus which I still use?

If I understand correctly the new one would work (imstall, run, GPS positioning etc.) but some few features wouldn't.
  •  

michaelbechtold

•  

Nadja

So I switched to CalyxOS end of last year, but I moved my app-settings over to the new phone as root. This worked fantastically well, Locus has been working ever since.
My wife just switched 2 days ago, but she never rooted her phone. She installed Locus 3 from scratch and 'lo and behold, it doesn't work, because it's trying to call some PlayStore license check I suppose. I didn't even know this was a thing with non-in-app-purchases. CalyxOS only has MicroG and Aurora store - no Google Play Services. Is there anything that can be done to stop that license-check if you're not root? It's annoying enough that In-App purchases don't work, but having no Locus? Ewww  :-[
  •  

Menion

Hello Nadja,
interesting that root might have an effect here. I do not think so to be true. Maybe you are using a different version of the MicroG or you are using some cracked version of Locus Classic? Do not know. Anyway Locus Classic (former Locus Map Pro) should not work without Google Play & PLay services system. Locus Map 4 on other side should be fully working without Google stuff and license may be purchased as a voucher code also without a Google Play.
  •  

Nadja

Quote from: Menion on July 05, 2023, 19:06:16Hello Nadja,
interesting that root might have an effect here. I do not think so to be true. Maybe you are using a different version of the MicroG or you are using some cracked version of Locus Classic?

I'm definitely not using a cracked version. If so, I'd use it on my wife's phone, apparently, because I instead of asking here  ;) I have the same with some other paid apps: they work on my phone, if I installed them from my old phone's backup as root, but they don't work on my wife's phone. I also get regular updates for Locus from Aurora (Play Store client) and I'm using the stock MicroG version that comes with CalyxOS. The only difference to my wife's phone is that it was rooted (it's not any more), because I didn't want to lose all my apps' settings.

Locus 4 doesn't really appeal to me, otherwise I would have changed already. Been using the good ol' Locus for about 11 years now, so making any switch at all is tough now :-\
  •  

michaelbechtold

Not sure how Locus manages the license check. If that is done once and the result is stored in a highly "private" location, a copying under root could replicate really 1:1 and so Locus would not "ask" again.
Menion could tell if above is feasible.
  •  

Menion

Interesting Najda. I`m sorry, but I can`t help here. What Michael wrote should not work. License check can`t be moved to another device so some backup of restore won`t help.

As I wrote: a check for a license is done at the start at the app and should be done no matter if your device is rooted or not. Fact, that it does work on your rooted device is a mystery to me.

Generally, I have a bad experience with MicroG and if anyone had problems with an app license before, I always wrote the same: "sorry, can`t help here".