Locus 4 pauses track recording on its own

Started by Steffen_MK, June 07, 2023, 17:03:19

Steffen_MK

Hello all,

on my Smartphone (Huawei Mate 20 Pro) Locus 4 pauses (showing the orange pause button) track recording on its own, but only when the display is  off. GPS keeps switched on - I think it's no problem created by the Android OS). The tracklog of Locus 3,running parallel, continues. The settings for track recording are similar in both Locus versions. Does anybody have the same problem?
Locus Map 4, User-ID: 07e0fc852e
  •  

Andrew Heard

Are you stationary at the time when paused? It sounds like the auto-pause feature although I've never seen it work for me.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Steffen_MK

Hallo Andrew,

thanks for your reply!

Auto Pause is not activated (see screenshot).
  •  

Menion

Hi, hmm what about track recording profile settings > Auto-pause, enabled?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Steffen_MK

Hi Menion,

thanks for your reply!

No, Auto Pause is not enabled (see Screenshot in my previous posting).

But in the parallel running LM3 Auto Pause was enabled, but LM3 did not pause the track recording like LM4. I think Auto Pause is not the problem, because working correctly it should start the tracklog when moving again. But the track recording remains in pause.

I forgot to mention:
LM4: Version 4.17.1
LM3: Version 3.68.1

Some additional information:

I have configured several presets: with the "Auto" preset the display stays on all the time, with the "Bike" preset I turn the display on and off with a single wave. When the display is switched off in this way, the track recording pauses after a certain time, not immediately!
Track recording with always on display works properly.
  •  

Menion

Hello,
why I missed your previous post > do not know, sorry.

It is really weird because I'm aware of only two situations when track recording may be really paused "magically":

1) new, not yet perfectly working, mentioned "auto-pause" settings
2) app was killed by the system, and later started manually again (after more than 10 minutes after it was killed) and the app automatically pause the previous recording.

Otherwise, it may be paused over the widget, by intent (so over Tasker etc), in the UI (side panel or dashboard). Hmm and this is probably all ...

--

I've anyway just generated a new Beta version for tests so I've added some extra logs related to the start/stop of track recording. If you find a moment, you may try to install it, then long-click on the app main menu button and enable  Setup logging > Log to file.

Then try recording as usual and after the issue happens, so after you notice an accidentally paused track recording, just stop the app and send me a log file from the Locus/logs directory. Info, when (exact time) issue happened may be useful.

Steffen_MK

Hi Menion,
Here some Screenshots from a short bicycle trip some minutes ago.

The restart of the track recording was done by me manually.

I will try your recommendations with the beta version.
  •  

Menion

Hmm wait, a visible error message is displayed only in the second case I wrote about before!!

It means that the system killed Locus Map app when running on the background so once you turned the screen on again, the app was restored but because of 10+ between kill & restore, the app automatically paused recording.

You have to exclude Locus Map from battery optimizations, "that's all".
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Steffen_MK

Steffen_MK

Hi Menion,

That's it!!! Thank you very much for this advice!

I did not consider that the Android settings are responsible for the pause-issue, because I have so often compared the Android settings for LM4 with those for LM4, and they were equal! But only LM4 had the pause-issue.

But:

Android had noticed, that LM4 is a much power consuming app. For LM3 there was no hint from Android regarding power consumption. I think the reason is, that since I have installed LM4, I rarely used LM3 anymore. Therefore Android did not classify LM3 as a power consuming app, but LM4 indeed and stopped only LM4, while the display ist switched off.

Thanks again for this helpful hint!

Greetings
Steffen

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion