GPS activated on screen on when Locus running in background

Started by auric, July 20, 2011, 15:31:47

auric

Since the update to version 1.9.2 ME, Locus got this behaviour:
  • start Locus
  • Enable GPS
  • Hit home button, so Locus goes to background without quitting it
  • After a small amount of time, you'll see the system GPS notification icon disappearing and GPS being disabled (good! Locus isn't active and I have the setting "Disable GPS" enabled)
  • Hit the power button (screen off)
  • Hit the power button again (screen on)
Even before you actually unlocked the screen, you'll see the system GPS notification icon appear again and even though Locus is still in the background, it has just activated the GPS.

Open Locus again, then hit the back button. Confirm that you want to quit Locus. The GPS icon disappears. Screen off, screen on and the GPS stays disabled.
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

Menion

thanks, should be fixed now. Need test anyway. There is so much possibilities ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

wldbest

Actually, I explained the same problem.
(in my previous posting)

But my posting was so focused on crash & reboot,
I think the fact as described is not conveyed as it is.

I had exactly the same problem.
I thought It is strange but normal.
  •  

Menion

hi, this should be anyway fixed now ... did you have still same problem in last two versions??
  •  

halloboerni

I have the same Problem (1.9.4). In the systemconfigurations i have activated the GPS. Then i start Locus Pro and I see the GPS notification "GPS activated". If I close Locus after a small time I see the notification "GPS deactivated", but in the systemconfiguration the GPS still is enable.
  •  

Menion

you're describing little bit different "problem" then auric. Anyway in my experience, it sometimes takes few second (5 - 10) till gps in notification bar disapear ... for your stay enabled forever?
  •  

halloboerni

I am sorry, that was my bad. I misunderstood the function "enable GPS/disable GPS" in Locus.  :oops:
  •  

Menion

hmm you're not the first. Anyway this function in locus do not change any settings in system. ... so everything in your case works fine? :)
  •  

halloboerni

Everything fine. Thank you for the great application and the exemplary support.
  •  

auric

I'm sorry to report that the issue isn't entirely fixed yet :-( Not in 1.9.3, not in 1.9.4
However, I can see the improvement :-)
  • Start Locus, hit home button, screen off, screen on: GPS stays off until you activate Locus again (jay! Fixed!).
  • Start Locus, start recording, hit home button: GPS stays on (of course). Go back to Locus, pause recording, hit home button, screen off, screen on: GPS is enabled (which is not the desired behaviour)
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

guest1042

I have quite opposite problem concerning GPS. It is possibly result of some changes in code fixing the problem from topic, so I continue this thread.

* set "time between GPS locations" to anything > 0
* use Locus Pro
* quit Locus Pro
* start using Google Maps
From now on GPS is activated every X seconds. :)  It looks like GPS is still controlled by Locus Pro in some way.

BTW. There is a way to fix the problem activating  "GPS Status" program for a moment. Still, the problem exists.
  •  

auric

.. and I'm sorry but v1.9.6 still has my problem as well :-)
I open Locus, start recording,  hit home button, open locus,  pause recording, hit home button: GPS off. Then I turn off screen, turn on screen and GPS is enabled even before unlocking the phone...

:-(
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

Menion

hmm I forgot on this issue. Thanks auric. As I told few times, it's going to be really complicated all these on/off possibilities, anyway should be fixed now!

About ytpl problem, this is some special case of CM7 as I see. Settings in Locus should not have to have influence on GPS behavior in another program. It's non-sence. So if this happen to you I really suggest no to use "time between ..." settings!
  •  

guest1042

I investigated the problem using different GPS program called "GPS Logger" which activates GPS every x seconds. Google Maps behaves exactly the same way. So it is CM7 and/or (more like) Google Maps error. I think the problem appears when another application (like Locus) uses one of the LocationManager methods (requestLocationUpdates?). Of course, this is only my suspicion.

BTW. Do you use call LocationManager.RemoveUpdates() method when application is closed?
  •  

Menion

fine, good to know. And yes, I use removeUpdates() because only thanks to this I disable GPS
  •