Do you also use OsmAnd at the same time?

Started by ColdAutumn, January 26, 2023, 16:54:19

ColdAutumn

In addition to Locus and OsmAnd, is there an more excellent app? ;D
Can we discuss this issue? ;D  ;D
 ;)
  •  

ThomasD.

I started Android navigation on my motorcycle with Osmand, but switched to Locus Map after 1 year. Reason was the Locus database and the better route planner. Never used Osmand again.
The only situation where I don´t use Locus is car navigation with simple A-B routing. There I use Magic Earth.
Regards,
Tom
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ColdAutumn

freischneider

I wanted to have only one app for all outdoor activities and not different ones and every time I have to think how to do it in this app.
Here was only Locus Map that covered everything. and after 6 years I am of the opinion that there is no better in this area.
For car navigation use Google Maps, in this area is simply the better choice.
When I go hiking or .... I choose a parking place in Locus Map and then select Google Maps for navigation.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Viajero Perdido

For geocaching support, there is only one choice.
  •  

Saturo

I use osmand for everything exept geocaching.
If osmand would support this too, I wouldn't use locus anymore.
  •  

ColdAutumn

Quote from: ThomasD. on January 26, 2023, 18:11:52I started Android navigation on my motorcycle with Osmand, but switched to Locus Map after 1 year. Reason was the Locus database and the better route planner. Never used Osmand again.
The only situation where I don´t use Locus is car navigation with simple A-B routing. There I use Magic Earth.

May I know which version of Locus you are currently using? LM3 or 4 ?
Thanks.
  •  

ColdAutumn

Quote from: Saturo on January 26, 2023, 21:40:56I use osmand for everything exept geocaching.
If osmand would support this too, I wouldn't use locus anymore.

Osmland seems to support cached maps:
Menu -> Download maps -> Local,
The first thing you can see is Standard maps( vector)
Keep scrolling down and you will see: Online and cached tile maps
Sorry, this forum doesn't seem to be able to post pictures?

Of course, its cache map is actually not fully understood by me.
I still use Locus, but Osmand has some advantages that I like, for example, global ocean depth.

Thanks.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys, interesting discussion. I've moved it to "Free chat" category where it belongs I believe :)

Anyway, are there any serious advantages of the OsmAnd compared to Locus Map? Some time ago, OsmAnd was made mainly for navigation and nothing more. Over years, both apps have more and more in common, but both do things in different ways.

But because I've never used OsmAnd (what a surprise  :) ), I'll be interested in the major advantage you see in it, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Agus

Hi. I have been on this forum for a while and have never posted anything.

I practice mountain sports and the application I started using was OruxMaps until recently that I do it with Locus Map 4 and Locus Map Classic.
The advantage of Locus over OruxMaps is its ease of use and very intuitive. Oruxmaps is more complex, but the advantage is that it supports SHP, I use that format in many layers that before I need to convert to be able to use in Locus, it would be interesting that it supports that type of file.
  •  

Menion

Hi and welcome :)
It is more about OsmAnd than OruxMaps. OruxMaps is very close to Locus Map, but it is not so actively developed, and hard to say what are Jose's plans.

SHP files are fully supported in Locus GIS app. I do not think it belongs to Locus Map app as it is format focused on GIS & mapping.
  •  

Agus

Oh, sorry. I forgot to comment about Osmand+, I tried it last year for a short time. It didn't convince me, for my mountain sports and Geocaching I prefer Locus.
I don't doubt that Osmand+ is a good app but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I convert the SHP with Locus Gis but I would have liked to be able to use them directly in Locus Map.
  •  

ColdAutumn

Quote from: Menion on January 27, 2023, 08:24:47Hi guys, interesting discussion. I've moved it to "Free chat" category where it belongs I believe :)

Anyway, are there any serious advantages of the OsmAnd compared to Locus Map? Some time ago, OsmAnd was made mainly for navigation and nothing more. Over years, both apps have more and more in common, but both do things in different ways.

But because I've never used OsmAnd (what a surprise  :) ), I'll be interested in the major advantage you see in it, thanks.

I also used OruxMaps earlier. After a period of time, I discovered Locus. After that, I discovered OsmAnd.

I think these three softwares are professional standards. This is compared to the Map App used by ordinary people such as Google Map.

When I found Locus, I quickly gave up OruxMaps( If the OruxMap person sees it, I must say sorry.).

Osmand's advantage I think is the map data itself. It includes too many map data I like, such as global depth data.

The advantage of Locus is the management of geographical data. The current map is really weak, so Locus can easily switch different maps.

Such as:
https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/30589-today-the-offline-search-feature-still-seems-to-be-in-early-beta ;D  ;D  ;D ;)  ;) 

But OsmAnd does not directly support image map calibration. This is a pity.
And OsmAnd's processing speed of offline maps seems much faster. Locus seems to be significantly slow.

Locus and OsmAnd are all my favorite, I don't know if there are better apps.

Thank you for your great work!
  •  

ThomasD.

Quote from: ColdAutumn on January 27, 2023, 03:49:19May I know which version of Locus you are currently using? LM3 or 4 ?
Currently LM4. I switched from LM3 as of supporting the delelopers and better synching between devices. You can do this with third party apps, but the internal synch is way easier.
Regards,
Tom

siolpa

I have recently established it. I attempted it about 2020, but it was not functioning well. Currently, both the wired USB and Wifi TCPIP approaches are functioning very well.
  •  

Menion

Willy, we've known each other for a long time, fortunately. Otherwise, I would delete your post as spam :D.

I have nothing against discussions about other apps, but this looks to me a little too much. Plain info with a link in the OSMAnd topic, without any clear explanation why? ...
  •