Trouble importing a multi-file GEMF map when moving to Android 11

Started by mark03, November 25, 2022, 01:13:00

mark03

I recently updated my phone to Android 11 (LineageOS 18.1), very innocently assuming that I could just copy my existing raster/vector map directories to someplace where the new Locus Classic install would find them.

Close to a full day later, I managed to transfer everything off of the SD card using adb, so it could be formatted, which seems to be a requirement for it to work with the new Android version.  After that headache, I transferred my maps and mapsVector directories back to the SD card and set about making them work with Locus.

Well, obviously, this was only the beginning of my troubles, thanks to Google's "scoped storage" feature :-\

So, I cannot use adb to push my map files into the Locus data directories (because "security"...).  The blanket import functionality in Locus (taking all of the maps at once) also seems not to work.  Finally delving into the official documentation, it looks like I need to import maps one at a time from the maps manager.

This is where I am currently stuck.  I can import maps which consist of a single file, no problem.  But the map I really need is a ~20 gigabyte GEMF which is split into 11 files. If I select the first file in the sequence (the .gemf file), that gets moved into Locus' data directory and appears in the map list.  But it is missing 90% of the data, which is in the .gemf-1, .gemf-2, etc. files.  I cannot find any way to make the importer take these files too.  The file selection dialog does not allow multi-select, only one file at a time.  And importing a .gemf-n file by itself does not work because it is "not a map file."

Any help would be appreciated.  I had no idea this would become such an ordeal :o    Thanks google...
  •  

michaelbechtold

SAF sucks indeed, big time. At least in combination with Google's crazy politics, not to grant freedom of access to Apps like Locus.
Anyway, there might be a workaround for you.
x-plore is able to read and write to the /Android/data private folders on INT SD. Last time I checked it could not do the same for EXT SD (which you are going to target).
The question is if you have enough spare space on INT SD to host those tricky gemf maps and maybe some other to temporarily store those maps on INT SD via x-plore (or adb), then let Locus do the move from INT to EXT SD.
  •  

mark03

In the end I was able to gain access to my GEMF maps by moving them with adb.  The trick was to place them in the Android/media tree on the SD card, which does permit write access.  I'm not terribly happy with the resulting file system hierarchy, with maps scattered around three different directories, but it works.

Well, it mostly works.  Importing my Lomaps one by one, the ended up in the same directory, and Locus thinks they are all part of Europe, whereas they are actually a mixture of European country maps and US/Canada state/province maps.  At least they are all accessible.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Adding "_split" as suffix to the folder name will keep those maps seperate.
I doubt that works with the default mapsVector and maps folders, but it does with the others.
Never tried the /Android/media structure with that (undocumented) feature, though.
  •