[MAPS] - Vector maps

Started by Menion, July 17, 2011, 09:49:21

psuk

Is it possible to convert Garmin .img to .map? TOPO Czech in Locus (or Android) is my big dream :)
  •  

CaLocus

I want to import my own map data, but I am having trouble converting to the *.map format.

I have working osm files ready, but when I use Osmosis and MapFileWriter to convert, Osmosis output is telling me "Please provide valid bounding box via command line parameter 'bbox=minLat,minLon,maxLat,maxLon'."  

Does anyone know  where to put the "bbox" command line parameter?

Thanks,
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "CaLocus"Does anyone know  where to put the "bbox" command line parameter?

Thanks,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis
Regards J.
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "dreamteam"A qucik question: For larger countries you have several files for downloading. Are those different files "connected" that way that if I move from one area to another that I see it or do have to manualy switch between those maps.

as far as I know it works with offline raster maps if you put the maps in a subfolder.

@menion,
does that work with vector maps too?
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

no, this have to be done on mapsForge side. If they will be too slow, I'll start work on vector maps rendering engine by myself but I hope that this will not be needed
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

oiorokko

Thanks very much for the vector maps addon.

Still I have a question about the freshness of the vector maps availible in the addon. Yesterday, when I downloaded Estonian map the date was a few days earlyer (2nd of September or so).
How often will these vercor maps be updated?
  •  

Menion

I don't know exactly yet. Generating of whole world takes around two days now, so I wanted to update maps once a month or two. I think this will be enough for most countries. And if anyone need some fresh map, I can of course generate this one specially.

I have also some troubles with generating few places. Did anyone tried Russian map? It always stop at 60% no matter what settings or computer I use ...
  •  

oiorokko

Once a month will be more than enough I believe. Thank You very much.
  •  

CaLocus

Quote from: "jusc"
Quote from: "CaLocus"Does anyone know  where to put the "bbox" command line parameter?

Thanks,

Thanks Jusc,

But I already looked at //http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage and I could not find anything specific on the formating or placement of the bbox parameter except under "--write-pgsql (--wp)" and that is not what I want to do.  Everywhere I place it in the "--rx file=test.osm --mw file=test.map" command I get errors that the "bbox" is not a recognised type or does not exist.

Does anyone else have to add this command-line parameter to Osmosis?
  •  

mmcyklo

Hi Menion,

I purchased vector add on and downloaded Czech Republic. I was approx 250 MB, but when I use it it still downloading when move map or change scale. Does it mean that I need to dovnload tiles like in online maps? I tried it but app says it is not possible to download it. I thought that when I downloaded those 250 MB I have full CZ vector map in PDA..

Thx a lot for info!
  •  

Menion

it surely have. Are you sure that it's locus who still download something? You may try disable connection (airplane mode for example) and I'm sure all will works fine ...
  •  

jones12ax7

Quote from: "psuk"Is it possible to convert Garmin .img to .map? TOPO Czech in Locus (or Android) is my big dream :)

If Locus is not an absolute requirement you can convert .img to .nm2 with Mapedit and use it with Navitel. I do it with Brazilian maps. Of course, Locus is far away much better than Navitel....
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "CaLocus"
Quote from: "jusc"

Thanks,

Thanks Jusc,

But I already looked at //http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage and I could not find anything specific on the formating or placement of the bbox parameter except under "--write-pgsql (--wp)" and that is not what I want to do.  Everywhere I place it in the "--rx file=test.osm --mw file=test.map" command I get errors that the "bbox" is not a recognised type or does not exist.

Does anyone else have to add this command-line parameter to Osmosis?

Maybe, i didnt understand you correctly , but are you looking for this:

Extracting bounding boxes

One of the basic use cases is extracting a subset of OSM XML from a large downloaded file. You might have downloaded the world OSM (planet.osm) and want to extract some region, or maybe you have a country extract downloaded but only want one city. The simplest way to do that is by extracting a rectangle.

An example that extracts Nürnberg and some area around it from Germany - or maybe world - OSM:

bzcat downloaded.osm.bz2 | osmosis
  --read-xml enableDateParsing=no file=-
  --bounding-box top=49.5138 left=10.9351 bottom=49.3866 right=11.201 --write-xml file=-
  | bzip2 > extracted.osm.bz2

This approach uses bzip2 directly for extracting and compressing, as it is claimed to be more effective than the built-in archiver.

The easiest way to get coordinates is to doubleclick the spot you want coordinates for, then click "Permalink" and grab data from URL field.
Regards J.
  •  

mmcyklo

Quote from: "menion"it surely have. Are you sure that it's locus who still download something? You may try disable connection (airplane mode for example) and I'm sure all will works fine ...

So, I tried without internet connection (Airplane mode), but still tiles seems downloading. So, most probubly it is only reading data from this downloaded file:) Unfortunately not so quick..
  •  

mmcyklo

Any news reg possibility to use .img?

As now Locus is able to handle vector maps, I guess it is only question to allow .img format.

Then Locus would be the best Android map app ever!!!

Menion, how about this challenge ;) ?
  •