Locus map 4 errored out while importing locus classic data

Started by east542, July 29, 2022, 22:16:57

east542

I've been using Locus Map classic for many years and saw that version 4 is out, so want to give it a try. However it errored out of the automatic import process that came up when I first installed the app.

How do I manually get Locus Map 4 to restart/retry the import process?

•  

Menion

Hi, sorry for the delay (vacation).

Does this issue still exist? If so, you may try a manual start of this action in the app Settings > Misc > Default directories. Here should be an option "Load Locus Map Classic data". In case, there will be any error, please post a screenshot here, thank you!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

oblanke

I'm having the same issue when trying to tansfer maps and data from Locus  classic to the new silver or gold version
Trying the transfer from the new Locus app doesn't change a thing.
The old Locus classic was still installed and is running as before...
Screenshot of the error message is attached (Error code 12521)

Would like to have your help - 10 day holiday biking tour planned in 10 days..

Thanks

Oliver
  •  

michaelbechtold

Which device?
Which location of Locus base (INT or EXT SD)?
  •  

oblanke

It's on a Google Pixel 5 which unfortunately does not have an external memory card slot  (so it's internal storage)
  •  

michaelbechtold

OK, then some usual suspects do not apply.
Good thing is, that LMP 3.x still works.
Maybe you should try LM4 without migration - I do not recall if this is still possible.
Then reorganize things manually.
Needs some tools like x-plore and some Android/IT knowledge beyond UI swiping ...
  •  

oblanke

This might be an option (I haven't tried) - one of the reasons why I tried the migration ist that in is obviously neccessary to do that to get the discount on LM4 silver when coming from LM3 pro...
I'm not an absolute beginner when it comes to Android but with this situation I don't have a clue how to solve it...
Maybe it's a bug in the migration script..?
  •  

michaelbechtold

You might open a ticket in the help desk (you can open that directly in LMP itself).

The discount is NOT dependant on the technical migration step. The key thing is the same account for both, LMP and LM4.

When you do not want to wait for a ticket resolution, you can manually COPY (just to be safe) the Locus structure to /Android/data/menion... LM4 place. In case you have hugh SRTM and map data, I would exclude those in this first copy step. In the second step you can MOVE them to /Android/media/menion... of LM4 (then they are not visible to LMP any more - I hope Menion will improve Locus to use /Android/media/Locus rather than with private path soon! Then they could be shared).
These /Android/media places are screened for maps always, under the hood.
  •  

oblanke

Thanks a lot - I will try both
1)  open a ticket to maybe get the problem solved for others
2)  try the manual file  movement (does copy works as well?) to get LM4 running

In LM3 you could add variable folders to include your local vector maps (which I use mainly and have a lot of those) - is that the same in LM4..?
In that case the shift of the maps files would be unneccessary because LM3 and LM4 could possible share a /user data/maps-folder?
  •  

michaelbechtold

As long as you are not in Android 11 and up, you are flexible re. locations, then you can also forget about /Android/media, as you have freedom of choice, and LMP and LM4 CAN share maps easily, from the same folder. Not sure about Android 10.
Which Android does your Pixel have?
  •  

oblanke

That's probably a reason - my Pixel is on Android 12
  •  

michaelbechtold

OK, then the /Android/media for the maps is the best way.
File managers like x-plore can handle them, in and out.
  •