Compass orientation

Started by ColoradoGeoHound, July 12, 2011, 18:28:28

ColoradoGeoHound

Locus has become my favorite application since learning it can do geocaching (and it does it really well).

I just bought a Toshiba Thrive tablet.  I was a bit worried that Locus would not take advantage of the higher resolution.  So the first application I added was locus.  All I can say is WOW!  The app looks good on a cell phone but it is absolutly stunning on a tablet.  Good work.

The only issue I have noticed on the tabel is that the compass only works in porttrait mode.  This is of course the best direction on a phone but on a tablet, it is easier to use in landscape mode.  I wish the compass would work this way.
  •  

Menion

hi,
  I also have tablet so i'm doing some improvements in this way. Not much because there is not much tablet users ... this will come later :). Anyway about orientation ... every phone creator use own system as I noticed ... so if you have rotated screen by 90,180, 270 degree in other way, you can fix this by setting correct values in settings -> sensors and bottom advanced settings. Try it ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kbfifi

Interesting! I own an Asus Transformer TF101. It's a known issue for the TF101's compass to have a seemingly constant offset. I tried your setting. Although I can get it right for say absolute north direction, turning the tablet to west direction shows a on screen direction to almost south.
Do you know if there's something else different between manufactures like units? Maybe a range 0-360, 0-720 or 0-255?
  •  

Menion

hmm this is weird. I'm sure here on forum is many people with Transformer tablet and I'm also sure they have this working. So, someone with working settings?
  •  

berkley

Gonna try this out this evening...
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

berkley

So here are my working sensor settings on Asus TF101:

• Use hardware compass => enabled
  • Use true bearing => disabled (but doesn't make a difference, if enabled)
  • Angle rotation modifier (portrait) => 270°
  • Angle rotation modifier (landscape) => 0°
These settings work for me, but there is a chance that they might work for you too. Without garantue, it's depends a lot about ROMs and locale...

That's it, you should be carefully inside a building, because magnetic influence is quite high there. Chances are better outside.

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

kbfifi

@Menion
Yes, weird indeed. When I turn clockwise (landscape mode) it is turning too slow: turning 90 degrees will give me about 60 degree direction change or so. Counter clockwise: 90 degrees gives me about 180.

@berkley
Thanks for your effort I tried your settings as well. In fact they were my old default settings. I only calibrated landscape mode to 308 degrees to my backyard's direction.

My TF101 has just been updated with the latest stock rom: IML74K.WW-epad-9.2.1.24-20120503, no root
  •  

berkley

Hi,

one question now, that i might have assumed you already tried this...
Have you already calibrated your magnetic field detector in Android system settings???

Cheers
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

yes I also think it have to be such issue. If in settings exist any option (don't know personally about it :) ), try it. Or try to calibrate it by flying with tablet in a room and rotating it etc :) - like here http://www.lgforum.com/how_do_is/how-to ... roid-phone you just don't need this compass app, just do some movement with your device
  •  

kbfifi

Good point guys,

I calibrated several times but the problem remains. Ok, maybe some other TF101 owners also have this problem?
  •  

berkley

Hmm very weird... Is this a Locus related problem or do you have it in other apps too??
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

kbfifi

I tried and found out it's also in other apps so it looks like it's more of an Asus problem...
  •  

berkley

I don't know, how skilled you are...

But maybe you should consider a factory reset...
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

kbfifi

Eventually I might do that. But I'd rather not :(
  •  

Menion

kbfifi, I'm sorry but I can't help much with it. Seems to be some hardware issue of your tablet I think, because you're only one who report such problem. Don't know if software update will help on this or factory reset. Anyway you're hunting caches with tablet in field? :))
  •