[APP] - version 4.8.+ ( 04/2022 )

Started by Menion, March 30, 2022, 15:24:43

slarti76

Hi Menion
I know, I've been coming up with this several times before, but I'm trying it again - perhaps now that Locus 4 is running more and more smoothly, you find the time:
It's about the MapShading: I'm still unhappy that the resolution of the shading is artificially lowered between ZL12 and 13. I posted screenshots before, could do it again, but it's easy to see for everyone. The difference is so stark that setting the Magnify Factor to 200% in ZL12 still produces better shading than ZL13.
One might argue that it's partly astethic, but at least for the Slope Shading, it is not: For snow tours in the mountains, the 30° slope level is the most important factor for avalanche risk assessment, and losing obviously possible resolution here is just a shame.
I know, speed can be a problem here, but for most modern phones it isn't, so it's just wrong to force the resolution-decrease for a specific ZL for everyone.
I think it would make a nice "Expert Setting" to be able to increase the ZL or turn this "Optimization" off completely.
What do you (or anyone else) think?
  •  

Andrew Heard

I have observed the same incorrect chart data ie. non zero speed in the chart when should be stopped.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

PiP > thanks all for the feedback. I did a few improvements over the weekend so in the next Beta, it will be a lot better!

@lor74cas
What exactly is the problem with the WMS map in this post? When I play with it, all seems to work correctly.

Recorded speed > this is an old problem with detection of the "not moving" behavior. You are correct that the app currently simply records a speed value received from the GNSS unit. What should be done is to, based on the device sensors (or by attached speed sensor), register movement and based on this modify speed values. The task to do.

@joeloc
Disappearing points: this sounds like a serious issue. There were no changes in the database system for a very long time. Hmm, sorry, no idea.

Restoring recording after crash: Do you mean the small "rec" button on the left above the menu & map content buttons? Interesting, I'm trying to simulate it and it is always correctly restored to the red button with small green <> white animation in the inner circle.

@luce
PiP is available only since Android 8+, sorry I forget to mention this.

WMS > which layers you have enabled? All I've tried looks ok, thanks.

@CabrioTourer
thanks for the description. You are right, current behavior is really weird. I'll look at it.

@slarti76
I did some benchmarks and spend some time on it.
Result: agree that difference is significant. Even that detailed shading is around 60% slower, I've moved limit from the zoom level 12 to 15! You will see in the next app version.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

lor74cas

Quote from: Menion on April 11, 2022, 14:22:04
@lor74cas
What exactly is the problem with the WMS map in this post? When I play with it, all seems to work correctly.
on the left is shown, on the right the data is not shown
opacity 100% on on the left, on right nothing
if we have more than one layer wich is the order?
and if we use also sat map as layer?

@lor74cas
Recorded speed > this is an old problem with detection of the "not moving" behavior. You are correct that the app currently simply records a speed value received from the GNSS unit. What should be done is to, based on the device sensors (or by attached speed sensor), register movement and based on this modify speed values. The task to do.
I think the only sensor you can count on is the phone's gps, currently there are points that are not taken into consideration due to the filters so the speed data should be calculated as the distance from the last known point and the current point and the time elapsed between their detection.
Currently I believe point A is detected with a speed of 10Km / h then one stops and so B, C ... F are discarded, then it starts again with G but it is detected when you are already moving again at 10km / h for this reason I think Locus assumes, at the point where one has remained stationary, a speed of 10 km / h.
For me it would be more logical that the speed was determined by the distance and time between A and G as it is an information not altered by the missing points like speed in the point.
It will not reach 0, but it will always be closer to 0 than 10.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: lor74cas on April 11, 2022, 15:57:25
I think the only sensor you can count on is the phone's gps
@lor74cas I politely disagree - the accelerometer sensor is very sensitive for detecting movement. It is used very effectively for movement activated alarm apps, and Locus compass. Movement detection on a modern Garmin GPS is more responsive & accurate than Locus for this reason. My cycling friends (many) Garmin devices will know within a second when the device is stopped or moving. At present with a stationary device there could be +/-5m noise or more in GPS position, and Locus will therefore assume small continual movement when actually fully stopped. A combination of accelerometer (optional setting) & GPS could potentially eliminate this error.

keen interest from others - see ideas like https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/using-the-gravity-sensor-orientation-sensor-or-accelerometer-to-move-the-map - 32 votes

https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/improving_gps_position_with_gyroscope_and_accelerometer - 19 votes
  •  

Menion

@lor74cas
have to agree with Andrew. GNSS is definitely not a reliable sensor. Also, because of this, the app suffers by many problems, not just speed but almost all other variables are affected. I computed speed a long time ago just as the difference in distance/difference in time = result was really bad  :). Jump 20m when standing still is not unusual and in 1-second frequency, it creates a really nice chart.
  •  

luce

My activated WMS layers are:

U-Bahn Bestand - Linien - generalisiert
and
U-Bahn Bestand - Haltestellen - generalisiert

The lines and stations look quite thin and small to me – but okay, using the zoom lock and then zooming in works for me :)

•  

Andrew Heard

Still the underlying www.useresponse.com help system (which Locus uses as for their help system https://help.locusmap.eu) RSS links are all broken, so I have added an "Idea" into their own help system. Funny (sad?) the only two categories are "Idea" & "Question", no "Problem" category, so it seems they don't expect problems in their own system or service.

https://help.useresponse.com/topic/31432-rss-feed-link-is-broken

It means there is no indication via RSS when someone adds a new help topic ;-(
  •  

Andrew Heard

The 3 RSS links have been fixed. That was quick. Maybe I should have contacted them a long time ago, but @menion isn't that an issue the Locus team would have been keen to get fixed too?
  •  

Menion

*** Beta version 4.8.2.2 published ***
- PiP fine-tuned
- and 11 other changes

@Andrew Heard
They have problems only as tickets > so only a private.

Anyway, thanks you've reported it! We also report issues there, maybe once per month and they usually publish a new version of the help desk system once a month, so I'm sure, it will be fixed with the next update.

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on April 14, 2022, 13:14:48
Anyway, thanks you've reported it! ...it will be fixed with the next update.
@menion - already fixed
  •  

razvaneduard

Locus Map 4.8.2.2

I tried navigation simulation and there is no voice instructions:
- I planned  a small route, Activity type Car, saved it
- in skyplot screen in top menu I choose simulation > track > and choose the saved track
The movement simulation is working but at turn point no voice instruction.

Is not yet fully implemented?

Thanks
  •  

balloni55

Thanks for dashboard toggle button 8)

dashboard and custom screen have identical icons :-[
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Viajero Perdido

I navigated (car mode) to a trailhead, no problems.  Turn-by-turn directions.

Once on that trail, every attempt to navigate to a point farther down the trail (bike or hike mode), resulted in guidance instead ... the style of guidance I never use, with a single square guidance icon in the upper-left.  And just "beep", instead of "after 20 metres..." that I was expecting with "navigation".  The trail is properly tagged in OSM (foot=yes, bicycle=yes) and hasn't changed in years.

I need to investigate this further.  (4.8.2 gold)

EDIT:  The named trail passing through N53 18.852 W112 57.329 in Alberta is interesting.  Those coords are roughly the midpoint of a single way of several kilometers, with appropriate tags for hike routing.  However, within that single way, some attempts at navigation give navigation, some give guidance (eg, from those coords west to the junction).  I can't figure out the logic.  (And should an app ever give you something different than you asked for?)  Same results on two devices.

Thanks in advance.  Not urgent; enjoy the weekend.  :)
  •  

Christian

LM4 latest Version
Statistics called from within Route Planer
little bit of easteregg :(
  •