Locus running on Ticwris Max?

Started by VAdam, January 11, 2022, 20:34:42

VAdam

Hello,

does anyone have any experience running Locus Map (either the oldschool Pro version or the new 4 one) on this hardware ( https://aliexpress.com/item/4000960829594.html )? It's presented as a smart watch but it is basically a phone running on older Android version.

I would rather see its use as a bike computer :) So I'm interested in any experience anyone could have. But especially how rotating the screen with Locus running works there (as I imagine having it in its vertically elongated position on stem or handlebars would be the best, whereas the original intended position on your wrist is horizontal). Also how precise its GPS location works. And maybe also how well its display could be read during sunlight and if the whole thing could be actually easily attached on a bike or certain level of DIY-ism is required...

From the usually mentioned downsides, I am aware of the obsolete Android version, but if my only use will be just for maps, I prolly don't care if it will be hacked :)

The battery duration should be much better than any existing bike computer.
  •  

VAdam

Ok, reply for anyone coming after me, wondering the same question. I bought it after all and so far so good, although my experience is still limited.

- my concern about correct screen position was not necessary, it can be always tweaked with a help of apps like "control screen rotation" for any mount.
- a propos mounting: it is very nice size for an average stem, it fits both my gravel bike and cross/touring one, even without moving away front light holder which is right next to it on bars.
- screen brightness when almost maxed out seems to work fine during daylight, but I still need full-on sunlight to confirm that.
- overall, former Locus map pro works on it really well, incl. all my presets and dashboards. One drawback contrary to proper phone is that map rotation according to your direction doesn't work so smoothly.
- the other drawback is GPS in general. It is definitely worse quality than my phone, but comparing it actually side by side, I realize even the phone one is far from being ultra accurate. Ticwris one occasionally makes you "ride through buildings" and look drunk with its zigzag patterns. I would say it's perfectly fine for navigation (unless you go geocaching etc.), but track recording lacks a bit because of it.
I will try to improve it by ordering Qstarz BT-Q818XT Bluetooth GPS Receiver and linking it together, but it will prolly take ages before I receive it (will update the thread once I do).
- battery consumption is most likely reasonable, I was kinda expecting even better efficiency, I'll see more after I start to ride all-day trips again. Once I connect it with the aforementioned bluetooth GPS receiver, it should be better (bluetooth reportedly eats much less battery power than GPS and Qstarz seems to have capable battery on its own according to reviews).

If you are curious about anything specific, do not hesitate to ask.
  •  

VAdam

Some pics so you can have some idea about the GPS tracking. It's not so bad, but typically you could get this difference:

Ticwris average but noticeable inconsistency:

The same part of the route recorded by my phone:

And just to illustrate extreme discrepancy of Ticwris (there were only like one or two places like this in 26 km long ride):

Yet again the same part of the route recorded by my phone:
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: KuchKuch

Menion

Hi Adam,
really interesting info, thanks for sharing.

What is your "feeling" when using this device? Seems to be quite heavy to have it on the wrist. Also what about battery consumption during track recording, any estimates?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

VAdam

It feels heavy indeed, I'm not sure I would like to wear this on my arm for a longer period. But my intended use is solely on the bike, therefore mounting it on the stem or handlebars (as can be seen in this post: https://www.facebook.com/locusmap/posts/4308202595933572 which actually inspired me to look into the specific Ticwris Max product in the first place).

One important con I forgot to mention is its touchscreen - it is a bit finnicky, it doesn't react to every touch as expected and that becomes more evident when you need to press small button or pinch zoom the map. Again, this doesn't bother me when I need it mostly for showing me map for navigation and recording my actual route. But I would strongly advise against using it to plan your trips as that will be a pain. The same step down in comfort which you have by using mobile phone instead of regular computer could be expected here (when using Ticwris watch instead of a mobile phone).

As for battery consumption: let me report back once I use it more thoroughly, but the test ride was cca 26km (about 2 hours moving time, 3 hours altogether with stops for shopping etc.) and my battery went from 100% down to 80% (wifi and bluetooth turned off, GPS on obviously, recording my track and I also sent my signal out for Locus live tracking feature).

Menion

Thanks for extra info!

I believe it may be useful for others so I've created special category "Devices" for similar topics.
  •  

lor74cas

Hello,
I do not want to accuse anyone, but only to make a consideration:
I am perplexed when I see devices of this type when almost all of us have an old smartphone in some drawer that no longer use and could be used for these experiments. We can make our contribution to the environment by reusing what we no longer use instead of buying objects that tomorrow will be technological waste to be disposed of.
The toy seems to me too big to be used on the wrist, too small (in my opinion) to be used as a navigator.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Menion

This is a very valid point and I'm a little shame, that I had not written this before (about a more responsible approach regards new devices). Thanks lor74cas!

So the verdict for this device: does not worth it. Rather re-use older phone  ;)

•  

VAdam

Sorry, I don't really agree and I did my research before buying this thing (unfortunately no one in Locus forums said anything about it before I added more info myself after the purchase).

At this point, I have my first own mobile smart phone (before that I had one discarded by my gf). The current one is pretty good but it's too heavy and bulky and I don't want to drain my battery each and every day due to navi while going for multiple days long trips. The old one has already destroyed battery and screen (which could be fixed indeed, but its Android is 4 I believe and it can't be upgraded), plus it's still bulky.

So I wanted a dedicated small device but most specialized bike computers seem like crap to me and overly expensive on top. Considering the fact I don't care about external sensors (for speed, cadence or biological measurements), I just need nice map for navigation and be able to record my routes, this seemed still as one of the best options. If I had known all the info I have now, I might still consider it, the only deal breaker is the need for proper external gps tracker (and bonus knowledge is the realization even my phone hasn't been recording gps signal as well as I expected).
  •  

Menion

No need to excuse yourself Adam. There are always many reasons why anyone purchases a new/another device and it is his choice. I just agreed with @lor74cas, that many times, people purchase something that is really not necessary. But this is another story ...

So altogether, you are satisfied, perfect. I still think the info you provided here is very useful, thanks for this. I'm sure, many people may find it useful because as you wrote, there is not much info about this device.

•  

lor74cas

I also agree "No need to excuse yourself Adam" mine was a general thought not referring to your specific case, mine is professional deformation due to 20 years of work in the waste sector.

For my experience to limit battery drain with locus or other navigation app I use airplane mode. If your device does not need any radio connection consider this option to limit battery drain. But if you need to pair it with an external Bluetooth dongle you have no more this option.

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: VAdam

KuchKuch

@VAdam

Can I ask why you specifically chose this device as a bike computer? I need a small and light device that runs Locus that has a similar purpose as the Garmin Edge 530 can't fully meet my requirements and wondered if you had considered the Unihertz Jelly 2? If so, why was it ruled out? I'm just making sure I haven't missed something before I buy the Unihertz Jelly 2 myself.
  •  

Andrew Heard

I had never seen these Ticwris or Unihertz Jelly devices, so thanks very much guys for sharing your experiences.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •