Show position using Network provider

Started by spawny, December 27, 2010, 16:22:54

spawny

Hey,

is it possible to show the position using only the network stations? So it would show an approximation of your current location. Advantages are that it is fast and uses much less power consumption. This would be often enough if you just want to find out where you are (in a city) not needing the very correct position.
  •  

Menion

spawny,
 I thing that when you don't want to use your gps and want only network/wi-fi/cell-ID ... you the disable gps in system. When you do this, you'll see that Locus use your network location. You can also see this when you enable gps in locus, green circle will be displayed almost immediately. Green circle is position from network. When you receive position from GPS, green change to blue!

enough? :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

spawny

Yes, enough ;)

Just one more technical question: It seems that an active data connection is needed when using network/wi-fi/cell-ID - mode. Is this correct or should it also be possible to determine the location without data traffic?
As far as I know Google needs to download information about surrounding wifi-hotspots in order to determine your location later in offline mode. Therefore they do have a special database of those wifi hotspots and their location ... is this similar to the network mode? Or am I seeing something wrong here?

Thanks already!
  •  

Menion

hmm,
  I'm not sure from which sources, android system takes it's location. For taking position from Cell-ID, I think you don't need to have internet data connection. It's just basic trigonometry from power of phone signal. There is question about position of sending towers...

Position taken from wi-fi signal, pretend just connection to wi-fi network, but it do not mean that internet connection is also available. So, I'm not perfectly sure how whole this basic network location think work, but it will be weird, when internet connection have to be available!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •