show name of POI in map

Started by ysop, July 01, 2011, 18:35:57

ysop

The name of the POI is not displayed anymore when the red cross in the middle of the map hits the POI. Where is the setting for this feature? Who can help me?
  •  

rijackson741

"Settings", "Map", "Show labels". Set it to "On hover".
  •  

ysop

I tried this already, but it does not work; when going with the red cross over the icon it becomes larger but the name of the POI is not displayed.
I do not see the name of POI since I imported more than 10000 POIs. Deselecting this POI group does not help. Also name of POIs of a group with 100 POIs are not displayed anymore.
  •  

Menion

hmm this is weird. There is also possibility (in preferences) to set font size and color, so don't you have some really small font there? If not, you should try also reset all preferences in application. Maybe this should help
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ysop

I think there must be a relation to the number of POIs;
I have deleted a group of POIs and then imported them again; the names are shown again;
but after selecting the group with more than 1000 POIs no names are displayed anymore;
  •  

ysop

but I tried this once more - without success; it's really strange
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "ysop"I think there must be a relation to the number of POIs;

I have very many POIs. I have one category alone with over 34000. But I do not see this problem. I have never tried turning them all on at once though. Are you doing that?

As a side note, when I select some POIs in a category with a very large number I do sometimes get a FC message. If I select "wait" the POIs show up OK on the map, so this is not a big issue, but since the subject has come up I thought I would mention it.
  •  

ysop

Yes, I am turning all of them on at once. My biggest group has 12000 points. But even if I deselect the large group the names of the smaller group with 100 POIs are not shown anymore.
  •  

Menion

heh, what shall I do with this? :) ... did you tried (as I suggested before) to reset Locus settings in application (you may save it before) or just change font size for this? I have no similar problem on all three phones I tested because of it
  •  

rijackson741

I don't have a category with 10000 points, but I tried turning two on, one with 5760 points and one with 6174 points. I don't see the missing names problem. If I turn them on from the data manager screen I do see another problem, that I mentioned above: if I back out of the data manager screen too fast then I get a FC warning. If I select "wait" it's OK though, so not a big deal. If I turn them all on from the "points" tool on the right panel it says "working" for a while, and they turn on.

I do also have a category with 34500 points. I can't turn all of these on though. Locus does not seem to like such a large category very much (It even took a very long time to import the points). If I go into the category from the data manager it takes a little while sometimes, during which time the phone screen is black. Then I can turn on some of them (say the first 100), and exit. I get the same FC issue as above, but if I wait it works OK. And I do not see the missing names. When I selected all the points I could exit the category OK, but no matter how long I waited I couldn't exit the data manager. Eventually I gave up, and killed Locus. If I try to turn them all on from the right panel it says "working" for a long time, and then Locus Force Closes (no option to wait). I think the time taken to enter the category is related to the number of points already turned on, because when I turned on all of the points in one of the 6000 point categories and then tried to enter the 34500 point category the screen went black for so long I gave up and killed Locus. I guess if you have a real need to see 34500 possible parking places all at the same time, Locus might be the wrong app.  :roll:
  •  

Menion

yes, 34500 is really too much. Problem with force closing is because I was still lazy to add some "loading dialogs" on correct places. Anyway loading of so much point crash Locus on low memory. There is no place to handle all these data. It's simply too much. Some phones have more memory available to one application so it can handle more points. It's mainly separated by resolution so for example Motorola XOOM, can handle twice more data per application then N1, so I tried load around 50k points and no crash ... but yes, app was really lazy. I in last version improved a lot speed of loading and unloading of points, so I hope you fell it a little when you manage so much points at once
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"I in last version improved a lot speed of loading and unloading of points, so I hope you fell it a little when you manage so much points at once

Yes, I did notice that in fact. Thanks  :D

I have tried to find a way to split the very large category into smaller ones, but without success. I would need to split it using a bounding box, and I can find no tool that will do that  :(
  •  

rijackson741

OK. I did split the UK parking to make it more manageable. See here: //http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=655&p=4324#p4324

Now I can turn on all the S England parking; about 17000 points. It takes a while, but once it's done I do not see any problem with the names.
  •  

ysop

I am now back from vacation where I used Locus very much with a lot of pleasure!
I have not seen the problem anymore. In the first time I have only selected a few POIs but later more and then all of them without problems. At the end I cannot explain the reason for what I have seen. Sorry for making the trouble.
  •  

Menion

no problem. sometimes some bugs are really mystery :), anyway I'm really glad you enjoyed vacation together with locus :)
  •