Android 11+, changes

Started by Menion, November 26, 2021, 12:13:57

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 14, 2021, 11:49:42But it would be up to Menion to always look at int SD mapsVector for themes, even if the maps are on ext SD.
@Menion: what is your judgement, pls. ?
Sounds reasonable, and I additionally think the theme folder name is just a historical, but ugly thing (mapsVector\_themes). I'd even drag them up one level, so that we may have all extra content on one level...

Maps\
MapsOnline\
MapsVector\
MapsVectorThemes\
SRTM\
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: tapio on December 14, 2021, 13:06:23
Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 14, 2021, 11:49:42But it would be up to Menion to always look at int SD mapsVector for themes, even if the maps are on ext SD.
@Menion: what is your judgement, pls. ?
Sounds reasonable, and I additionally think the theme folder name is just a historical, but ugly thing (mapsVector\_themes). I'd even drag them up one level, so that we may have all extra content on one level...

Maps\
MapsOnline\
MapsVector\
MapsVectorThemes\
SRTM\
+1
It's always a pain to set up syncs (e.g. with FolderSync) that sync the themes but not the (big) map files.

karlchick

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 14, 2021, 11:49:42
I understood from earlier posts that the access to EXT SD content is less efficient

What I do not understand is that I haven't changed anything. Locus Map was working with everything located in \ExtSD\Locus\mapsVector (maps and themes) and all that has changed is that now all those files are located in \ExtSD\Android\data\menion.android.locus\files\Locus\mapsVector.

Why should moving and using the exact same files from one location in ExtSD to another make such a difference to the performance? LM3 is still using the \ExtSD\Locus folder and performing as expected. I've seen others complain about the performed on LM3 after the relocation of files...

I guess I can't move the files back to \ExtSD\Locus since this is now marked as not allowed in the app... besides I will eventually hit a problem when I need to add new maps or uninstall/re-install the app...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

michaelbechtold

From Android 11 on (API 3ß+) it has been GOOGLE breaking working solutions by their silly and shortsighted changes.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys, give me please some time till the end of the week. I'll then answer all questions. Thanks for understanding.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bluealek

So I managed to move the maps to the private folder both on my Android 11+ phone and tablet, but on the tablet (Samsung A7) I had to do it via my Windows laptop. None of the three suggested third party file managers can do the job completely. X-plore comes the furthest - it can open all of the folders and view the content, it can even create new folders within them, but can't copy the file contents  :-\

My question is - does anybody know of some file manager that actually has full control of private folders on Samsung A7 tablet? Or some other Samsung tablet, I suppose they all work similarly. It would really be helpful if I had full control over the files, without the need to resort to an external device for it.
  •  

michaelbechtold

There is a difference between int and ext SD private folders.
Google did not only create this mess by they new policy, they also failed to implement the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in a consistent way.
Hence even x-plore which has this permission cannot  write files to ext SD private folders, but it can create folders ...
PC USB connect is the only way so far.
  •  

slarti76

If it wasn't so braindead, it would even be funny that Google allows app X to access internal data files of app Y on intSd, which cannot be accessed without Android, while disallowing it on an extSd, which you can always just yank out and attach to a Windows machine where due to exFAT you can do whatever you like wherever you like...
  •  

michaelbechtold

Well, this access required this strongly regulated permission.
To me the braindead thing is to forbid access to root level folders. For sensitive stuff they could and should restrict access to private folders. And app developers should use these places for sensitive stuff.
But something like /Locus was never private in the sense of secrets or security challenge.
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 16, 2021, 12:57:40
Well, this access required this strongly regulated permission.
To me the braindead thing is to forbid access to root level folders. For sensitive stuff they could and should restrict access to private folders. And app developers should use these places for sensitive stuff.
But something like /Locus was never private in the sense of secrets or security challenge.
Maybe you can request an exception from google for less sensitive data. I would write to google. But I do not know a contact person.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

michaelbechtold

Only Asamm could do that for Locus, but they said Google is not responsive or supportive, so they did not try.
Hopefully the approach via /Android/media will work and be performant on both, int and ext SD. Then, with some other smaller changes the pain and turmoil should be over.
Fingers crossed!
  •  

Menion

Summary of the current state ...

So after a push and push on the Google support

- Locus Map 4 passed a request on "All files access" (don't ask me how this is possible, probably some India guy had a bad day). So the latest app on Google Play has temporary!! exception. We have a little more time to prepare better on limited access now.

- Locus Classic (Locus Map Pro) request was declined. Currently we are waiting on another attempt, but as expected, this should not be allowed to such kind of app at all

- latest Locus Map 4 already has enabled support for /sdcard/Android/media/menion.android.locus/maps(Vector) directory, so feel free to try it. Just insert maps there, the app should load them automagically during (re)start.

Feel free to ask if something is not clear.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Tapio

Quote from: Menion on December 21, 2021, 10:08:18latest Locus Map 4 already has enabled support for /sdcard/Android/media/menion.android.locus/maps(Vector) directory, so feel free to try it. Just insert maps there, the app should load them automagically during (re)start.

Thanks. "Some indian guy" - hrhrhr.

Please (if not already happened):

a) add support for the media folder in the UI (prefer it over Android/data)
b) support Android/media on Android <11

So all users use the same places, makes support easier. I'm on Android 10, but I want to migrate all my stuff to future-safe places.

Question: AFAIK if files are in the private folder under Android/data, they are deleted when uninstalling Locus Maps, we all know this is a big deal if we have tons of Maps and SRTM files there.
Does this also apply to Android/media?
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Menion on December 21, 2021, 10:08:18
but as expected, this should not be allowed to such kind of app at all

Given the unprofessional carelessness of the Google architects, I can agree only in principle, but not in practical terms. They simply forgot use cases beyond pictures and videos, and ignored hard performance requirements when it comes to SD.
Hence I consider it just adequate that as a temporary remedy they grant such permission.
And if /Android/media show prove to be the magic wand (fast in any case, no delete at uninstall), then they should have promoted that as "best practise" for above use cases.

Fingers crossed ...
  •  

tramp20

Hi,
how can I force Locus 4 and Locus classic to use android\media\locus...?

Sorry I had always rooted smartphones (now LOS 18.1 Android 11) and without these new problems I did not follow these threads.
Bot now I have a new Sony Xperia 5 ii (Android 12) and for the next time without root :-(
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •