Android 11+, changes

Started by Menion, November 26, 2021, 12:13:57

michaelbechtold

Even on the migrated Tablet the SRTMs are in their original place. EXT SD, but not in the private structure,
Menion might be able to tell pot. difference in performance.
  •  

Menion

@freischneider
SRTM data needs fast access when you use hill-shading. Anyway, truth is that HGT files that are currently used should be cached in memory, so it should be slow only for this first-time app to use it. I'll have to do some benchmarks, but if you do not feel any difference when using hill-shading, no worry, and use it directly from the SD card.

@michaelbechtold
thanks for the summary and help with this complicated topic! The current state is definitely not a final version. We will be updating also based on the problems and support on the help desk!

Difference in performance > as mentioned in second topic - it will need some benchmark to verify the real impact on battery and performance.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Tapio

I am not sure. I think, after moving "maps" to the external storage the map in "Preload global map" wasn't configured any more.

Here I zoom from the global map into some random area, which is not cached. Hillshading is on and I use Sonnys 24mb hgt files. SRTM on ext sd (those are "NM" cards on Huawei). Map is OAM V5, Device is Mate20X.
I don't think it was faster on int sd. Definitely alright for me.
https://youtu.be/e0dnk8q71Gk
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

michaelbechtold

Same global map thing in my migration. But easy fix to set it right manually.
  •  

Menion

Yes, there may be a few more settings lost (like a global default world map) when moving the map. I never expected that something like this will happen so on a few places in the app are used absolute paths. Sorry ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 07, 2021, 12:54:24Same global map thing in my migration. But easy fix to set it right manually.
Of course, just thinking about newbies or people being unaware, it's after all a setting that you usually set and forget...

michaelbechtold

Quote from: tapio on December 07, 2021, 16:42:36
Of course, just thinking about newbies or people being unaware, it's after all a setting that you usually set and forget...

True.
  •  

michaelbechtold

I have not tried a migration with totally different root level map folders in place.

Something like /ExtSD/OAM or /IntSD/World, outside /Locus.
Will Locus migrate them all? Automatically?

Somebody has experience?

For sure @Menion can tell :-)
  •  

Tapio

@Menion, please take note! Message from C. Ghisler, tcmd dev.

https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=407841#p407841

QuoteTry asking the author to use Android/media on the SD card instead of Android/data. The app should be able to access this folder without special rights, and other apps can write there just fine.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: tapio on December 12, 2021, 16:18:24
@Menion, please take note! Message from C. Ghisler, tcmd dev.

https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=407841#p407841

QuoteTry asking the author to use Android/media on the SD card instead of Android/data. The app should be able to access this folder without special rights, and other apps can write there just fine.
Maps in the media folder - that would be awesome. Well, not awesome compared to pre-A11 behaviour - one might ask what's the point for Google to enforce all these changes, when there's still a folder that can be accessed freely? -, but still. If it works, I'll take it!
  •  

Hi Android 11 users.

Can you have a small test for me by Android 11 pse ?   Someone ?
Download open Andromap by a browser ( Ex. Andorra).
For the next actions (I) do use the Cx Explorer (recent updated)  (or any other capable explorer)

By Cx explorere unzip the Andorra.zip into:
Folder Downloads > folder mapsVector > folder Andorra > = Andorra by 3 files
Also  you can dowload a theme. Do not unzip !
Put the zip in Downloads > (example in) the Folder mapsVector.

Install the Cruiser app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gr.talent.cruiser&hl=nl&gl=US

Open the Cruiser app:
By the Cruiser hamburger menu:
Select map > open maps > open maps (or add maps) > By Cx Exlorer (or other) > set Downloads > mapsVector > Andorra > Andorrra_oam.osm.map > set.
The Andorra map should show up now. Map displays correctly ?

By the same Cruiser map menu you can select a standard map style
OR
Install a theme this by the same procedures by using Cx Explorer. (Do not unzip but directly slect theme.zip !)
In the Cruiser map menu you can set the thema map layers. Display correctly ?

I do know that Emux the dev from Cruiser and Kurviger app had a change about a year ago in order to prepare the transition to A11 where he replaced the app file explorer than by an external file explorer. (helper) (Emux  recommanded than to use Google Files for these actions)

https://forum.kurviger.de/t/app-storage-access-framework/4409/20?u=0709
https://forum.kurviger.de/t/app-storage-access-framework/4409/28?u=0709
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

karlchick

Hmm... I'm experiencing very slow performance access from lm4 after relocating all my maps/themes etc from their ext_sd root folder you
To their own lm4 ext_sd private folder. Lm4 takes along time to load now with a blank screen for 15-25secs, opening the themes menu is slower and drawing the maps is significantly slower, to point that I would consider it almost unusable.

I kept a copy of the files and restored them after the move, since lm3 is still using them in the root directory. Lm3 is still running fine and snappy, no delays loading or using themes menu.

I was going to uninstall lm3, since I don't want two copies of my maps, and lm4 was looking OK, until now. Now I find using lm3 more of a joy...

Is there a known issue for this performance hit? I don't want to put all my maps on internal memory as they are over 32gb.
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

michaelbechtold

Maybe a really dirtry trick could help - 50:50 chance; I'd guess:
I found that when you move maps/Vector to extSD, LM 4 still screens intSD private mapsVector.
x-plore, Solid explorer and TC can work wizth intSD (on many, maybe not all) devices.
So you may copy the theme folder to intSD. I found x-plore can delete folders on extSD. Hopefully, after a deletion of the themes from extSD Locus would use the ones found on intSD mapsVector.
The mapsVector SETIING however should stay with extSD inside Locus, becasue there is no other way to get maps to extSD...
Good luck
Cheers
Michael

PS: I found the same pain on my Tab S6 lite (also reported it), but have not found time to try above (because it only came to my mind when I read your report :-)
  •  

karlchick

Well I tried Michael's suggestions:

• moving the themes to IntSD in private folder (while custom folders still point to ExtSD, did not work. Even worse it took ~120 secs with a blank screen on loading, and there was only the internal theme available.
  • I notice there were an empty set of Locus folders in IntSD\Locus\ etc, tried moving them there, say result
  • Lastly I moved them back to the ExSD\android\data\men... folder and then it returned to the slow loading of about 20secs (~10-15 of blank screen) and still very slow to use...

So.. still looking for a solution/improvement.

I really don;t understand why LM4 was working fine using everything on ExtSD before the Android 11 relocation thing, and now is really sluggish? I sometimes get a pause and the android OS kicks in and asks if I want to close or wait for locus map... never did this before moving the data to private folder...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

michaelbechtold

I understood from earlier posts that the access to EXT SD content is less efficient and the order API calls are no longer available. I saw that too, when installing themes on ext SD via Locus Actions from OAM. Hence my dirty idea. Pity it did not work.
But it would be up to Menion to always look at int SD mapsVector for themes, even if the maps are on ext SD.
@Menion: what is your judgement, pls. ?
  •