GEOCACHING

Started by courdi95, June 30, 2011, 11:34:29

courdi95

Hello,

I am re-discovering the power of Locus, and all the new functions and modifications .... following an update of the version on my Dell Streak.

Until now, I was using Locus as a companion software of c:geo, but now that c:geo will not be maintained, I was looking to back to Locus as some friends told me that Geocaching functions was also available in Locus ! I am premium member, so no trouble to use Locus with my favourite pocket queries ! and I support your will to increase such functions !
  •  

Menion

good to know :) nice topic but why it?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Ok, maybe I can "abuse" this thread for a question:

I just became a premium member at geocaching.com just to test the functionality of pocket queries along with locus. It works, but the hint from the description is not displayed. I read in another forum that gc.com made changes to their export format so maybe that's the problem? Or is it me?  :D
  •  

wvb

If you click in the key on the bottom left when opening the cache in Locus it is displayed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Ted Quinlan

boah, thanks a lot. Don't know why i didn't see that. Cool feature, better than encryption .... :)
  •  

Karl Asriel

I just wanted to register my thanks to the developer. Locus is a great app for geocaching. I've used plenty of others on Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile, but Locus is my favourite.

There are two main reasons why Locus is great:

1. The moving map aspect is very versatile: It can show live OSM maps when there's a data connection. And downloaded OSM maps when there isn't a data connection. And I'm able to use my archive of British Ordnance survey maps too, by using MAPC2MAPNET to convert them for Locus. Three map applications in one!

2. It's easy to use Geocaching.com Pocket Queries: Just import the zip file and display the listings for geocaches directly in Locus. It saves having to use a separate app.

There are three geocaching facilities I'm currently lacking via Locus. I could get them via other apps (sometimes breaking the Geocaching.com terms), but actually I think they are better provided centrally by a Geocaching.com API than by app developers:

1. Storing the correct coordinates for solved mystery/puzzle caches.
2. Storing spoiler pictures.
3. Finding nearby geocaches.

So what I think Locus needs is not major development, but for more people to know about it!

Well done on a great app. :-)
  •  

Menion

hi Karl, thanks for nice words

your point 2. and 3. isn't possible with actual legal system, but till start of august, I expect change in spoiler thing, so we'll see. About point 1, Locus support import of caches with "final" waypoint. So if you use some software like GSAK or GeoGet, you may add solved location of cache as final waypoint, and Locus will during import fix cache location to correct place
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •