Gesture control confusion

Started by GusGF, September 06, 2021, 22:41:16

GusGF

Why in Locus when gesture control is engaged, a password lock screen pops up if you try to access other functionality on your phone. Makes no sense to me. I want to be able to control my phone easily using gesture control and get to other functionality outside of Locus without having to type in my password. It's maddening!!

Secondly, auto screen on/off functionality when approaching a turn or nav point seems to be tied in with gesture control and in my settings it doesn't look like you can have one without the other?? Am I wrong if so how do I have screen on nav without gesture control (esp if the above problem persists and there is no easy solution)
  •  

Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

GusGF

Yes I've read the thread but it's of no help to me. First of all gesture control turns off my screen but it does not turn it back on  :-\  And faffing about having to follow the process below is a PITA!

turning on by power button OR finger print sensor
pressing down button
then pressing back button
then finally access to LM nav screen

When you are cycling it's a dangerous distraction esp when you are trying to navigate.

Also I cannot get my Samsung to turn on the display when a turning is coming up. I have Screen on/off control ENABLED and all 3 tick boxes for Guidance/Navigation are ticked!

Incidentally tried out Komoot and it worked like a dream but I prefer LM as it's cheaper looks better BUT I can't get the damn thing to work on my phone  :-\

If I can get Komoot to alert me of variations in my route why can't LM?
  •  

GusGF

Just to say this morning I tried Osmand after installing it and half an hour later had it up and running more or less the way I wanted it. Still needs a few tweaks but there were no lock screens to fanny about with. So with little or no effort I've managed to get Komoot and Osmand to run with little hassle and both alerted me to turns using a combination of voice and auto screen on alerts. But I'm still struggling with Locus Pro and cannot get it to do the same reliably or at all as is the case presently. 

•  

Menion

Hello GusGF,
just a quick check: open device system settings > Security > Device admin apps > is here Locus Map enabled as admin? Should be, otherwise, it is not able to turn the screen on automatically.

OsmAnd and Komoot turn the screen on automatically when approaching a crossing? Then they should be in this menu enabled as well, are they?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

GusGF

Hi Menion,
Quotejust a quick check: open device system settings > Security > Device admin apps > is here Locus Map enabled as admin?
Yes I can confirm it is active under device admin apps.

QuoteOsmAnd and Komoot turn the screen on automatically when approaching a crossing? Then they should be in this menu enabled as well, are they?
Actually no they are not. I tried Osmand this morning on my commute to work and only briefly went through fine tuning the settings last night after installing it. The only problem I had with it this morning was there were too many notifications for turnings or route changes which got a bit annoying but as I say it was my first outing with it. Again Komoot I only tried once and it worked pretty good.

The only reason for trying these apps was I thought maybe there was something up with my phone. I prefer the LMPro interface by far and the clean look of the maps. Also the rendering speed is noticeably faster than Osmand. But this is all useless if I can't get LMPro to work properly.
  •  

Quote from: Menion on September 09, 2021, 23:32:38
Should be, otherwise, it is not able to turn the screen on automatically.

@ Menion ? = Should be, otherwise, it is not able to turn the screen OFF automatically.
= To say, screen OFF command triggered directly by the Locus map app.

As long as you than stay active in the Locus app only (without request for any other external app use like texting) Locus will not ask for a PIN.

So why the screen ON (for GusGF) does not seem to work ? No idea. 
I tested Locus screen ON without any device admin rights = All OK and fine as usual  :)
(The screen off than was only steered by the usual Android display time out)

Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

Menion

Ah, right Willy @0709, you are of course correct. Device admin access is necessary for turning the screen OFF, not ON, thanks!

Oki, one major question: do you hear navigation instructions in the Locus Map? It is a key event that triggers "turn screen on".
  •  

GusGF

QuoteAs long as you than stay active in the Locus app only (without request for any other external app use like texting) Locus will not ask for a PIN.
That's not my experience at all unfortunately. But that's probably because I have to turn the screen on manually as auto on is not working for me.

QuoteOki, one major question: do you hear navigation instructions in the Locus Map? It is a key event that triggers "turn screen on".
I'm going to have to check that on my next ride which will probably be Monday :)
  •  

GusGF

Well got a chance on my way to work to test out Locus in accordance with what you said:
QuoteOki, one major question: do you hear navigation instructions in the Locus Map? It is a key event that triggers "turn screen on".
And I have to say it worked brilliantly. I've no recollection of ever turning off voice navigation previously when things went wrong, but today when I definitely did turn voice off, the on-screen nav simply didn't work. When I turned voice nav down to 0 via the OS, the on screen prompts continued to work.
So now my question is why is it not possible to have on-screen prompts with voice nav turned off? What if you wanted to listen to music without being constantly interrupted and just wanted to rely on those screen prompts?
  •  

Menion

Why it is not possible? Good question. I never had this need and do not remember any other user who needs this as well. The app works quite well even if music play and sound notification are usually a lot more useful than just screen turned on (that may be easily overlooked).

Anyway, what convinced me now is that disabled sound affects screen on/off functionality without an obvious reason. So I've just updated this system and in the next version, the screen on/off should work also in case, no voice is selected, thanks.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: GusGF

GusGF

Quote from: Menion on September 14, 2021, 07:40:05
Why it is not possible? Good question. I never had this need and do not remember any other user who needs this as well. The app works quite well even if music play and sound notification are usually a lot more useful than just screen turned on (that may be easily overlooked).

Anyway, what convinced me now is that disabled sound affects screen on/off functionality without an obvious reason. So I've just updated this system and in the next version, the screen on/off should work also in case, no voice is selected, thanks.

Super! Looking forward to my next guided ride  ;D
  •  

GusGF

QuoteAnd even more very nice features are o so deeply hidden into this app. Some of the most very useful tools by config.cfg (imo) are not presented  by their most favorable default settings and so mostly are still unknown secrets. Sin.

No sound no screen on in the  DE forum was reported and was solvable by using the attached voice mute. Hardly anyone noticed this user solution anyway. 

https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7016.msg60213.msg#60213

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Mi A2 Lite met Tapatalk

Have seen the odd mention of a config.cfg file. I imagine this would have to be edited on the PC then sideloaded. Was there any supporting documentation with this?

That did occur to me yesterday about having a muted voice option but as far as I know this couldn't be selected or just didn't exist.
  •  

https://docs.locusmap.app/doku.php?id=manual:advanced:customization:config&s[]=config&s[]=cfg

You can edit this config.cfg file directly in your phone.
Read it carefully and edit only when you understand what it means. 

Anyway, if the config.cfg file is accidentally deleted, Locus will rebuild it to the default settings, of course your personal edits and changes will be lost.

Recommended: Edit by Notepad ++ (Android app).

You can of course differ on what the best default settings are.
But the following are in my opinion some nice Locus gems that most users 'miss'.

My preferences.

# NAVIGATION
# --------------------------------

# times for command when Locus notifies (in seconds), default is 15|35|300

navigation_announcements_times=15

Why?
I don't want to have useless or too much TTS twaddle. Less by a single command is just better.

# Turn off "Turn off if idle" when screen is turned on by gestures (default: false)

turn_on_screen_by_gesture_disable_auto_screen_off=1

Why this?
Entering a complex (city) area I expect a continuous map display, this triggered by a single gesture proximity wave and only at the next wave switching back to the normal automatic screen on/off mode.

# set speed for moving cursor on map when GPS is off (in m/s) (default: 0.0)
# - value <= 0 switches off this function

speed_for_moving_cursor_when_gps_off=5.0

Why this?
This way you can comfortably test by gps simulation (gps OFF and then move the map over the central map indicator) if your audio TTS or Voice channel works properly and this without any need to go outside. If the simulation works well, it will therefore also work very well in the field too.

UPDATE by newer actual Locus versions.
There is one more additional possible pitfall that causes the GPS to automatically  switch back "ON" in the simulation. Therefore check the following in the Locus main menu.
-Long press the Locus main menu button >Tap Expert settings >Expert settings than do appear in Locus Map menu settings.
In the Expert settings > Navigation / Guidance > Enable GPS for guide:  set OFF !

Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: GusGF

GusGF

Thank you some excellent suggestions there  :)
  •