Offline search accross all downloaded maps

Started by CodeDaemon, August 23, 2021, 11:49:34

CodeDaemon

The problem:
Somethimes it's hard to guess which region belonging some city, village or location.

Very often you even have no idea at which part of country located that location.

In Russia for example, 85 regions. And to find some rare location, you must choose a concrete map. Sometime it become a very tricky task.

And what if you want to find ALL location with same name in different regions(maps)?

I see no problem to do search across all available offline maps.
And that option would be very helpfull for many people, beucase it will introduce some kind of search automation.
  •  

Tapio

No problem. Offline Geonames is there for you. Unpacked text files go to Locus/data/geonames/
It is a per-country search. So, for Russia, whole Russia, not only Oblast. Kyrillic is included in the ru.txt file. I searched Спасск in my screenshot. HTH

http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

CodeDaemon

Quote from: tapio on August 23, 2021, 14:58:49
Unpacked text files go to Locus/data/geonames/
It is a per-country search.
So user should dig inside locus files in the storage? Do I got your idea right?
  •  

michaelbechtold

No. Have you tried Locus internal search? Many different sources at a finger tip. Item at the bottom is GeoNames. But you must supply the resp. files - once, as tapio advised.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: CodeDaemon on August 24, 2021, 17:22:56
So user should dig inside locus files in the storage? Do I got your idea right?
try: Locus main menu > Search > hamburger icon (top right corner) > GeoNames (bottom of list) > Search text.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •