Problems with "screen off" function and biometrics

Started by Graf Geo, August 05, 2021, 15:54:52

Graf Geo

I have always had "unlock the screen" activated in Locus. This works fine.

If I switch off the screen classically via the on/off hardware button (or the screen deactivates after the timeout), I can unlock it afterwards without any problems via biometrics (fingerprint) if I want to switch to another app or to the homescreen.

Since it is more convenient for me, I have placed the "screen off" function in the sidebar. The result of this function is that I then always have to unlock the screen with PIN if I want to switch to an app other than Locus. Biometrics is then not possible.

This is very annoying and the function makes little sense to me. Why is this the case and is there any solution?

SGS10, Android 11, LM 4.3.2 – same problem on SGS7, Android 8, LM 4.3.2
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

freischneider

I also noticed something about the screen on / off.
I am using a BT remote control and am using Expert Settings / Hardware Controller.
Now I noticed that if I turn on the screen and want to turn it off again immediately (2-3 seconds), it doesn't work. After switching it on, I have to wait at least 6-8 seconds until I can switch it off again.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Menion

@Graf Geo, this is interesting. When turning off by this side panel function or automatically during navigation > both methods use exactly the same function, so there should be no difference. Or at least I do not see it. I'm also testing it on my own SGS7 and no problem. "Screen off" clicked in the side panel simply turn off the screen. After turning back on, the app is visible without a "screen lock" screen.

Sorry, I do not know what else I may do here. Same with the problem reported by @freischneider, sorry guys.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Graf Geo

Hello Menion, thank you for the answer.

I am not sure if there is a misunderstanding: Locus itself is not affected. If Locus is running and the screen switches off (whether after a timeout or via the hardware switch or via "Screen off" in the side panel), the display can be reactivated by touching the screen or pressing the on/off hardware button and Locus is displayed again and can be used.

The difference applies to all other apps and the device itself. Normal behaviour without Locus: The screen lock is always activated. After a timeout or via the On/Off hardware switch, the screen is deactivated and locked. If I want to reactivate it, I have to unlock the device. I use my fingerprint for this (PIN entry is only required every 1-2 days).

If Locus is running and the screen is switched off, Locus is of course excluded from the screen lock. But everything else is not. If I want to go tot he home screen or to another app, I have to unlock the screen, of course. That's how it should be. If the screen turns off via timeout or if I turn it off with the on/off hardware switch, I can use biometrics to open the homescreen, for example. But if I use the "Screen off" function in the side panel, I am always forced to enter the PIN.

Here are two screenshots to illustrate the example of the SG S7 (the same thing happens with the S10, except that the fingerprint sensor is integrated into the display.):
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Menion

Thanks for the very precise explanation. So in the first working case, you let the system turn the screen off, not the Locus Map over any other method. Hmm, then this problem is caused by how Locus Map itself turns the screen off.

I'm checking how the app turns the screen off and you are correct > current method exactly defines that a secured unlock mechanism will be required after turning the screen back on. And as I see, there is no other mechanism how the app may simply turn the screen off.

As I see, the only other option is to set brightness to 0 and temporarily set the system display timeout to the minimum value. Little hack that may work ... we should try it later as it seems to be too risky to do this change before bug-fix release.

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •