Handy Data Transfer - SD card - all maps lost!(?)

Started by LinoCl, June 18, 2021, 10:24:06

LinoCl

I have a new handy and want to transfer the maps to the new one.
Because I store all my maps at the old one to a external SD card, I mention, that I just put this SD-card to the new handy and at new handy set "Locus Map Pro", that the maps are as the SD-card ...
(so I make no additional backup...)
The old handy say, that the storage location on SD-card was /Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/files ...
After then putting the SD-Card to the new handy the folder /Android/data was complete empty  :(
-- it seems during installation of Android, the folder was cleaned ....(?)
at the new handy Locus Map Pro installed a folder system under /Locus/... direct at top level of SD card, but even empty ...

Any idea, to get my maps back?

Thanks for all help, Clemens.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Sounds like really bad luck, Clemens.
This /Android/data location is the unsafest place for an install, regardless if on external or internal SD  (and Locus  documentation and I think even the installer warn about the deletion in case of de-install).
Moving an SD from one phone to the other can be like wiping the /Android (may differ with different vendors, though).
There may be a chance to recover  the SD data via a PC plus an SD card undelete software. In any case I would remove the SD for now and NOT store new stuff on it, because that may prevent above recovery.
  •  

c.s.g.

If you do not have a backup of your maps on the external sd card I am afraid your are lost or have to download them again from Locus Store, OAM, ....

Here you can find the recomended way to move Locus to a new phone. Maybe this tips comes to late for you.
  •  

c.s.g.

Here is an updated version of the "Howto move....."
  •  

michaelbechtold

Agreed, that the maps can be handled via other approaches. I was concerned about the valuable personal data like tracks and points ...
  •  

LinoCl

Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 18, 2021, 12:14:49
Sounds like really bad luck, Clemens.
This /Android/data location is the unsafest place for an install, regardless if on external or internal SD  (and Locus  documentation and I think even the installer warn about the deletion in case of de-install).
Moving an SD from one phone to the other can be like wiping the /Android (may differ with different vendors, though).
There may be a chance to recover  the SD data via a PC plus an SD card undelete software. In any case I would remove the SD for now and NOT store new stuff on it, because that may prevent above recovery.
Hi Michael,
thanks for your feedback and suggestion ....
The /Android/data location was chossen by Locus Map iteself .. (and not from me!) by changing the standard internal storage to external SD card storage .. ! --> so this seems for me a big gap of the app during this time ...  This was about some years before, when I install the previous handy ...
-- it seems to be that is now better solved with the standard location at /Locus directly under the root of the SD card.

I have some luck, because I find the SD card that I used in my handy about ~3 years before (I buy a new SD card) and can recover all maps that a have at this time, so now I only lost the maps, that I buy during the last ~ 3 years, but this was not so much ...

Thanks to you and all others for help and suggestions ... I hope I remember, when I have to transfer all data next time :-)
  •