Locus Map Gold is too dark

Started by Wole, June 12, 2021, 16:08:19

JackRussel

I have a Samsung S7. A friend of mine also has an S7. Also tested after a factory reset.
Same problem.
Android 8, 11 and 12 are affected in my case.
Exynos and Snapdragon.

My S7 is older than the S10.
The S10 seems to be a fluke.

I could not see any connection yet.
  •  

michaelbechtold

I'm happy my S10 is not the only happy one in this community :-)

With JackRussel's finding, however, the overall situation stays weird. This thread is SO old that I do not recall if anyone has done an Android (!) system level debug log? In addition I'm not sure if all the relevant displayrelated events are caught and logged at all.
Anyone knows?

When it comes to Samsung: S21 and following models - not for me, as they lack micro SD cards.
The A5x or A7x series will be good enough for me, once my S10 gets too slow and worn, some years from now.
I will try to test an A52 with LM4 maybe next weekend and report (LM3 is already installed).
  •  

JackRussel

There has been no common ground so far. That is confusing.

- I have 2x Samsung S7, Android 8, DBT region code, factory reset/no factory reset --> problems.
Samsung S7 (Graf Geo), Android 8 --> no problems.

- Samsung S10 (Happy) --> problems
Samsung S10 (Wole and michaelbechthold) --> no problems

other devices with problems :
Samsung S20 and A52s (Happy), S6 S8 S10 S21 ultra (Wole), S7 (Menion),

other devices without problems :
S5 mini Android 6.0.1 (JackRussel), S8 (freischneider), S21 (para), A520 (Andrew Heard)

There is now really no common ground.

Maybe a poll would be useful.
I think for starters (device, Android version, region e.g. DBT/EU, security patch level).

Wole

I would take part in the poll.

For me there is also the fact that I had the problem on the S 10 + about a year ago. Since I then bought the S 21 Ultra, my wife got the old S 10 +. Here I did a factory reset beforehand and did not reinstall Locus.

After Michael Bechthold reported that he was running S 10, I just installed LM 4 on the S 10 + yesterday, just for fun, and it worked (see my post).

Can it possibly be because LM 3 and LM 4 cannot be installed at the same time? That's the only difference from last year's test.

I will test my S 8 again later, once with both installations and once with a factory reset and then only LM 4.

If the S 21 really works for Para, why not for me???
  •  

michaelbechtold

On my S10, both, LMP and LM4 are installed in parallel.
  •  

michaelbechtold

With JackRussels compilation plus Wole's latest update, we have contradicting effects for the same device.
But without a differentiating parameteer that could explain. Hence a poll can only help if we collect tons of settings, beyond what has been reported in this thread, and then try to find a pattern.
  •  

axelpix

I'm on the search for a successor for my good old S7 currently. Just tested a S22 lately. The first obvious thing that I noticed was the display dimming under Locus 4 way too low for reading it comfortably outdoors. All other apps stay at max brightness, except Locus and Google Maps. Looks like GPS apps are treated differently in the Samsung internal thermal management. The phone wasn't even hot yet, just shortly in max daylight.
I ended up returning the S22 just for that reason. It's sad as there are almost no other phones of an acceptable size on the market nowadays. Testing a Xperia 5-III in parallel. This is also dimming in sunlight, but only after getting hot and not restricted to GPS apps.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on May 16, 2022, 08:59:21
With JackRussels compilation plus Wole's latest update, we have contradicting effects for the same device.
That's the problem.

Wole did a factory reset (S10+) and the problems were gone.

I did a factory reset on my old S7 and only installed LM4. The problems have remained.
  •  

Wole

Axelpix:

I have the S21 Ultra. You can use Locus 3 super on this device. Oddly enough, nothing is insulated there. Readability in full sun is very good.

It's all about Locus 4. Basically, LM 4 just adds the web. If you don't need that, the LM 3 is a good choice.

Locus 4 runs e.g. B. on the Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro in full brightness. Nothing is dimmed here and the size of the display corresponds to that of the S 22.
  •  

Wole

I am attaching a photo of the phones from left to right Samsung S 8, S 10 +, S 21 Ultra and Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro to this post.

Even if the picture is not particularly good, you can see that the cheapest phone, namely the Xiaomi LM 4, is the best.
In the practical test I just carried out, you could at least see something on the S 8 and S 10 + (but you couldn't read the names of places, etc.) and the most expensive device, namely the S 21 Ultra, failed completely.

But the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro was able to inspire. Here you could always see the map very well, no matter how the sun was shining.

LM 3 is very recognizable on all devices.

Since, according to my Google research, other manufacturers apparently also dim their displays under incomprehensible conditions, there is hardly any future for LM 4 if nothing changes in terms of software.

Sure there will be other phones that do LM 4 well, but
for me the testing is now hopefully over and the decision is made: I'll stick with the LM 4 and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro for the time being.
  •  

jonny.blue

After all this discussion hope returns ...😉🤔

Installed LM4 beside LMP on my S10e ... and for me the unreadable screen with LM4 is still present. 😭

Deinstalled LM4 and work with LMclassic ... 🙄
  •  

axelpix

First question:
Someone indicated that setting LM4 to "Screen always on" might solve the issue on newer Samsung devices. Is this a solution that can be confirmed by someone else?

Second question:
During my tests with the S22 I noticed that the same behaviour (screen dims to ~50% brightness) also happens with the onboard Google Maps app. This led me to the conclusion that it might be the GPS activity that forces Samsung to better limit the backlight power. But if LM3 (LClassic) is still good, that's not the case. Can anybody confirm this consistency with Google Maps?
  •  

Wole

Regarding the first questions: I tested it, but it doesn't help.

Google maps also dims. But it is by no means due to the GPS, otherwise LM 3 should not continue to shine super.

Incidentally, other GPS applications such as TwoNav or OZI remain fully bright.

It's all down to LM 4.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Wole, you have a working and a non-working Samsung LM4 device (mine do all work ...):
- does the screen timeout on Android level define how fast the dimming occurs?
- to test for LM4 and for Google Maps
- closing PLUS Android killing the resp. other app
  •  

jonny.blue

Can anybody confirm this consistency with Google Maps?

Yes ... this is exactly the same problem like LM4.
  •