Locus Map Gold is too dark

Started by Wole, June 12, 2021, 16:08:19

Wole

Hello Michael Bechthold,
thank you for your post. You are right when you say that it is difficult to identify the problem because there are so many different software combinations.

Nevertheless, in my opinion it is a problem with Samsung and / or LM 4 and occurs with all Samsung devices.

I have for excample bought the Xcover Pro a second time on a trial basis, only installed LM 4 there and the same problem again.

Yesterday evening I borrowed the S 20 from my daughter-in-law and installed LM 4 there. Today at noon I'll test it in the sun. I'll add a little post tonight.

Of course, as JackRussel notes, it is always important that the device is attached to the bike and that the perspective is always the same. Only then can I compare LM 3 and LM 4 and recognize the serious differences.

Once again, when Menion takes his old S 7 out of the blue and has the same problems there, that's very telling.

Only good luck and cheers really doesn't help here. I stick to the fact that a solution has to come from the developer.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys, the discussion here is not necessary.

As I wrote, I'm well aware of this issue. I've compared all major parts of LM4 and LM Pro that differ and can't find any reason why it should affect screen dim. I've also updated all possible libraries that the app use and still no difference. It has to be some issue on the Samsung (if on all devices or not is not important now), but it has to be somehow connected to anything in the LM4 app ...

So for now, I blame my code, but ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Wole

Hi Menion,
thanks for your clarification. I assume that the problem is really being worked on and will wait and see.
  •  

jonny.blue

Hi,
maybe the problem has started with introduction of dark/light theme settings (and internal reaction of LM4 according to settings)

In LM3 this doesn't exist ...
  •  

JackRussel

I have found my old Samsung S5 mini with Andrdoid 6.0.1.

I have made the same tests after factory Reset. But no problems with LM 4.2.1. The brightness stays at 100%.

Maybe it is a help for Menion.

•  

michaelbechtold

Very interesting, indeed ...
Did it show the problem BEFORE the factory reset?
Did you backup Locus settings from the one with the issue and use them in the S5 mini?
Are the Android settings the same - as far as this is possible between very different versions?
Cheers
Michael
  •  

JackRussel

@michaelbechthold

Sorry, no.

The S5 is agonizingly slow and I have forgotten it.

Therefore factory Reset, out of the box, no Android preferences.
Then install LM4 without profil. Also here out of the box and no preferences.

But Wole said that he had also made a factory reset.
  •  

Wole

Quote from: JackRussel on July 30, 2021, 08:36:37
But Wole said that he had also made a factory reset.

Several times!!
  •  

michaelbechtold

Used a virgin Google account to avoid settings and other history being inherited?
  •  

Wole

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 30, 2021, 11:12:05
Used a virgin Google account to avoid settings and other history being inherited?

No, I used my normal google account.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 30, 2021, 11:12:05
Not virgin, but

my S7 and S20 same Google Account.

S7 of my Friend different Account, my S5 mini different Account to all other.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Any chance to do a factory reset on the S7 and use a virgin Google account?

There are (at least) 4 dimensions where - from an architectural point of view) the trigger for the problem can come from:
1) device model(s)
2) Android settings
3) Locus settings
4) Locus code
Or a mix of above, to add insult to injury.

What we know so far:
- no smoking gun from #4 (alone, maybe unknown combination effects)
- no smoking gun from #3, but not targeted by testing, as far as I see
- #2 is intransparent to me - what happens in the underground of Android and its settings  when you re-use an existing Google Account after factory reset? I do not know.
- does the device model alone make it? I do not recall all the tests by various people. I.e. is there a model that works for one and does not for another?
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 30, 2021, 13:30:34
I have now decided to do a factory reset on my S7. I will report as soon as I have the results.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 30, 2021, 13:30:34

There are (at least) 4 dimensions where - from an architectural point of view) the trigger for the problem can come from:
1) device model(s)
2) Android settings
3) Locus settings
4) Locus code
Or a mix of above, to add insult to injury.
On my S7 I have made a factory Reset. Same problem like Wole.

Before S7 factory reset : Many years no Device reset, Google settings very restrictiv, many apps,
-> Display darkening

After S7 factory reset :
Android 8.0.0 Out of the box,
no Google  settings (all original)
new and clean Play Store Account,
no Android  settings,
no Apps
only Locus 4.3 App no profil, no Locus settings

-> Display darkening (test with brightness meter)

For me there are only 2 reasons :
1.) Locus code
2.) Different Firmware versions

Sorry Menion. I know, it is not easy.

So for now I'll stay with Locus 3.x but LM4 is better.  ;D ;D

•  

Wole

At the moment I also only use LM 3. For the pure navigation I don't see any big improvement in LM 4, but I think the web tool is very good and would like to use it in the future.

So I hope Menion can solve the problem.

In this respect it means for me: wait and hope.
  •