Locus Map Gold is too dark

Started by Wole, June 12, 2021, 16:08:19

Wole

I use Locus Map pro 3.5 and Locus Map Gold on Samsung XCover pro and Samsung S 10 +.

When the sun is shining, I can't use Locus Map Gold for the display is too dark. On both smartphones I disabled "adaptive brightness".

Locus Map pro 3.5 always runs with max. brightness.

Can anybody help me?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
you probably use dark mode on the Locus Map 4. Check app settings > Controlling > Display > Dark theme and choose a "Light" theme here. Does it help?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Holger

Wole

Thank you for the answer. I will try your suggestion. I worked with "System" till today.
  •  

Wole

Hi Menion,
unfortunately the problem is still there.

There must be somewhere a problem in the software, for Locus Map Pro is running super.

I now decided to deinstall Locus Map and use in future only Locus Map Pro.
  •  

Menion

Please provide some screenshot of the Locus Map Pro and Locus Map 4 so I may see a problem. Maybe if you use some Xiaomi devices, they use some weird own system how to force a dark mode to apps, so check device settings and try to exclude Locus Map from this weird feature.
  •  

Wole

Hi Menion,
here two photos on which you can see the problem: LM 3 bright, LM 4 dark.

Fortunately another member has the same problems. See the answer of JackRussel to my post (https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7417.0) in the German forum.

It seems that the problem is on all Samsung devices (I tested S 6, S 8, S 10, S 21 ultra and Xcover pro).

I only can use Locus Map Pro but not the new Version.
  •  

Menion

Hi Wole
thanks for the screenshots. On the screen with darker LM4, it looks like even a top and bottom system control panels are darker, right? The app can't affect the brightness of these panels!

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how app may affect brightness of your display  :-\
  •  

Wole

No, not only the panels are darker but the whole app is darker than LM 3.

If you can't find the reason, I will further use LM 3. Thats great.

Thank you very much for your efforts.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: Menion on July 01, 2021, 22:25:37
On the screen with darker LM4, it looks like even a top and bottom system control panels are darker, right? The app can't affect the brightness of these panels!
Hi Menion,

same Problem here. Samsung S20 FE 5G. LM4 Gold 4.2.1

The whole Display gets darker. Within 20 seconds the Display gets perhaps 20-30 percent darker and the Display is no longer readable.

There are no Difference between automatic Display brightness and manual max. brightness. The Display gets darker.

It seens that LM4 ist the Cause.

Without LM4 : If I cover the light Sensor with my Finger, the Display gets darker. If I take away my Finger, the Display gets bright, up to max brightness. Readable in the Sun.

The same procedure with LM4. If I cover the light Sensor with my Finger, the Display gets darker. If I take away my Finger, the Display gets bright but not to the max brightness. Not readable in the Sun.
The Problem stays if I close LM4. I start other Apps but the Display don`t gets the max. brightness. No difference on manual max. brightness. No Difference after Phone Standby. The Display stays darker.

I have a Workaround. That shows the Problem with LM4.
The Display gets darker with LM4.
Then I take LM4 in Backround (Backround is necessary, close LM4 is not necessary).
Then I take the Phone in Standby. (no Restart necessary)

Immediately I wake up the Phone.
Then I get out LM4 and the Display shows max. brightness. 20-30 sconds and the Display gets darker.

Then I repeat the whole procedure.

Thanks a lot.

P.S.:
I have found a little connection.

All tests with manual max. brightness (automatic off) on my Samsung S7 (same problem) and on my S20.

With LM4 the Display gets darker, like above. In my opinion it seems to be a problem with the read area  (max. brightness), /see the Screenshots.

With LM4 the brightness ist falling down to high brightness (without red area).
But all other apps stay in the red area on max. brightness.

My S7 has a little difference like my S20. With LM4 the Display gets darker.
If I change the App the brightness rises to max. brightness. Without Workaround. After 10-20 seconds the max brightness is reached.. Standalone.

LM3 on my S7 keep max. brightness.
  •  

JackRussel

Hi Menion,

do you have found the problem or it is impossible to finde the reason for the dark display ?

I have maked another comparison.

Same Smartphone, Samsung S20 FE 5G, LM 4.2.1

Two Photos with the same preferences. f8, 1/160 s shutter speed, ISO 250
A directly comparsion in one Photo

The dark display is mainly visible (or not readable) when the sun shines directly on the display.

I am surprised that more Samsung users do not have these problems.

Samsung S7 with LM3 = no problem
Samsung S7 und S20 with LM4 = problems

Give a sign if you need more comparisons.

Thanks a lot

P.S.: Sorry

Left photo was recorded immediately -> brightness normal
Right Photo after 1 minute -> brightness dark , unreadable in the Sun

•  

Wole

Hi Menion,
I am also still interested to know the reason for the problem. I also can't believe, that other Samsung users  don't have these Problems.

The problem must have it's reason in the app for LM 3 works correctly.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi all,
Ihave a S10 and a Tab S6 light. Both do not suffer this problem, neither for LM4 nor LMP.
I could imagine that a mixture of screen timeout settings and energy saving modes may impact the behaviour.
But then why differently for LMP and LM4?
Good luck and cheers
Michael
  •  

Wole

I have the Problems on S 8, S 10+, XCover pro and S 21 ultra.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 16, 2021, 19:47:29
I could imagine that a mixture of screen timeout settings and energy saving modes may impact the behaviour.
I have also suspected.

But I have switched off all or the most energy saving settings. Shown on this page : https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung

I have excluded Locus from the optimization.

The next problem ist that my Samsung S7 with Android 8 has other energy saving modes as my S20 with Android 11. I do not understand the relationship.

I am surprised that not all Samsung users are affected. Therefore I will delete Locus and after a new installation I will try a original profil and preferences without my old profil.
  •  

Wole

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 16, 2021, 19:47:29
Hi all,
Ihave a S10 and a Tab S6 light. Both do not suffer this problem, neither for LM4 nor LMP.
But then why differently for LMP and LM4?
Good luck and cheers
Michael

I also own a S 6. So I just installed LM 3 and LM 4. LM 3 okay, LM 4 starts bright and becomes after a few seconds darker. So I say, all Samsungs have a Problem with LM 4.
  •