Cannot open any Waypoint after updating to Android 11.1

Started by bongo, May 31, 2021, 14:10:15

bongo

my device updated to android 11.1 today.
after all done, locus opens as before, but i'm no longer able to open any waypoint imported to locus.
so i deleted all waypoints and reimported them using the geocaching4locus addon.
no matter if i directly try to open a waypoint from the live map or if i first import some waypoints, disable live map and try to open then, i first get a black screen for quite a long time and then locus crashes without further notice.
when restarting locus and trying again to open a waypoint, every then and now the waypoint really opens after quite a long time (may take several minutes), but then i cannot switch the tab within the waypoint view...und after some time, locus crashes again. but usually, locus already terminates during the black screen phase.
i never had such issues while running android 10.
after a first crash of locus, then often locus immediately (while starting up) crashes again when trying to restart it.
i guess that this might have something to do with some authorization settings, but i cannot find something that looks wrong.

my folder settings in locus are:
locus folder: internal
the two map folders (maps and mapsVector) point to the appropriate folder under /locus/ on the external flash card, while all other pathes point to the internal flash (under sdcard/Locus/)

do i need to reconfigure something or is this a locus bug that will be fixed soon?

thanx for your help!
  •  

Menion

Hello bongo,
are you using the latest Locus Map Pro version from Google Play?
If so, send me please "User ID" that is visible in the app main menu > About app > Info tab.
Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bongo

•  

bongo

hi menion
is there already any progress on this topic?
how does the id i sent you help in debugging?
thanx!
  •  

Menion

Sorry, I was a little bussy  :-X

Thanks for the ID. The problem seems to be caused by some blocking access for the geocaching spoilers directory. In the next version, this should be a little improved. Anyway, for now, you may try to rename your Locus/data/geocaching . This should help. The app should then create a new directory. If the problem was caused by the update and some kind of "permission" problem, it should be fixed then. Weird ...
  •  

bongo

hi menion

i unfortunately have no good news ;-(

i deleted the geocaching folder under Locus/data, and on the next startup of locus, the folder was recreated and everything looked fine.
so i started to add html files to a folder structure below Locus/data/geocaching, and with just a few files, this looked fine.
but after adding a few hundred files, i again cannot open any waypoint, no matter if this one has an associated html file or not.
then after deleting all html files, it works again.

my test showed:
- with about 200 html files, it works but takes quite some time to open a waypoint
- with about 500 html files, it takes forever and finally crashes

as a comparison:
before updating to android 11.1 (was android 10), i had between 30'000 and 100'000 html files and it worked fine.

so unfortunately, this issue is not solved at all ;-(
  •  

bongo

looks like i'm a step forward now.
file and folder operations seem to be extremely slow with android 11, even if only internal memory is used.
so far, i had my html files and images spread over a folder structure to work around limitations from older file systems (e.g. 65k limit of fat32).
so this seems to be the reason now for the non-working waypoint access in locus.
when i copy all html files to a single folder under locus/data/geocaching instead of having a folder structure, locus can open them in about no time.
so this really seems to be a workaround for this issue ;-)

unfortunately, this brings me to a next issue which i will bring up in an another thread.
  •  

Menion

Hi, hmm so the problem seems to be not a number of files, but the fact, they are spread into multiple directories/sub-directories? I've also read and got many reports that the filesystem on Android 11 is slower than on previous versions. I can hardly do something about this fact, anyway, if the problem is with the structure, there is a chance.

If you will be willing to invest a little more time into this, big help should be packing all your problematic data ('geocaching' directory) into a zip file and sharing it with me, so I should try to simulate this issue on my own device.
  •  

bongo

hi menion
as having a structure instead of having all files within the same folder is no longer a real advantage (is no longer required as the days of fat32 are gone), i would for sure be able to adapt my scripts to change this.
but anyway, it's no more really possible to copy the files then to the android device in an acceptable time because of another android 11 issue (mentioned in the other thread).
so there's actually no pressure from my side to solve this as there are other android issues to be solved first.
but if it's really helpful for you to have a big set of html files in a structure, please let me know. then i can generate it for you.
  •  

Menion

Oki, thanks for the offer. For now, I do not need data for the test, because most probably, there is currently nothing I may do to speed up loading of the files.
  •