Boot up initialization

Started by attroll, May 23, 2021, 01:56:18

attroll

When I start Locus Maps on my phone it does this initializing process each time.
Is this necessary?
Or is there a way to get it to boot up faster?
I do not want to leave the map running in the background constantly because it will put a drain on my battery. I only run it when I need it.
Sometimes when I want to bring up Locus Maps quickly while I am driving to plot something I see before I get to far past it, this makes it impossible because it takes about 45 seconds to boot up.
Is there a way around this?

Rick
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Rick, I experience the same, but the reason on my phone may be the 200 OAM maps installed :-)
I typically run Locus as an Android service (see settings) 7 x 24. No battery drain induced by Locus, if it is not in the foreground and its GPS functions are passive.
Cheers
Michael
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
as Michael wrote, it is similar problem. The question is if the reason is the same.
In the case of Michael, it is a combination of the huge amount of maps, Android 11, and some weird unknown problem that case re-init of the maps from time to time.

Do you see in the loading dialog and info about what is the app doing for such a long time? Maybe there are just too many points&tracks on the map?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

Aha! So the reason Locus is slow now is the extra vector maps I've added. I've deleted the extra maps and speeded it up.
Is there no way to make the loading of maps more intelligent? Can Locus not be set to look only at relevant maps?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

John, give me please more info, mainly when was app slow in your case and what exactly you've changed.
Fact that I'm not facing any slowdown does not of course means, it does not exists.
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Since approx. version 4.0, I've found the app much faster in starting up, good job.

My situation is, a modest number of maps, but ~20,000 points, many outside the visible area.  Loading this many points used to be noticeably slow, but no longer.  :)
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: Menion on May 24, 2021, 20:19:03
John, give me please more info, mainly when was app slow in your case and what exactly you've changed.
Fact that I'm not facing any slowdown does not of course means, it does not exists.
I may be kidding myself but I had added a number of OAM maps to test various features, including Austria, Baden Wuerttenberg, Iceland, Australia, Ascension Island, Washington State, Yellowstone Park, and Locus had become much slower at both starting up and redrawing the map. The version 4 renderer (with OAM maps) seemed much slower than the version 3 one with Lomaps or v3 OAM. Deleting all those maps *seems* to have made a tremendous difference and I can now fling the map around again.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Viajero Perdido

John, do you have auto-loading turned on?  Locus seems to sometimes double-load OAM maps, turning light-green forests into dark-green ones as a side-effect.

Because of that, I have auto-loading off.  Maybe that's why, for me, the app is zippy.
  •  

jonny.blue

Wow, because of my long loading process (up to 10sec) I
- removed all unnecessary vector maps
- set autoloading to false
- set most points and tracks to unvisible

and reached now 1 to 2 sec loading time. :)
  •  

attroll

Quote from: Menion on May 23, 2021, 20:27:00
Hi guys,
as Michael wrote, it is similar problem. The question is if the reason is the same.
In the case of Michael, it is a combination of the huge amount of maps, Android 11, and some weird unknown problem that case re-init of the maps from time to time.

Do you see in the loading dialog and info about what is the app doing for such a long time? Maybe there are just too many points&tracks on the map?
Menion
What is is doing that is taking so long is "Reloading trips and caches:.
  •  

Menion

Tracks are quite complex objects, so in case, you have more tracks visible on the map, it may take some time. Also a loading of caches, mainly when more waypoints is visible on the map, may take some time.
  •  

attroll

I was just concerned and wondering why it took so long.
I have the same tracks and waypoints on a few other GPS programs that I use on my phone, and they load up instantaneously. It seems that there is a lot more processing that go on to load Locus Maps.
  •  

attroll

I figured that I could just leave the maps running in the background and it would eleveate the initialization issue when ever I went back to the map. I thought I read it somewhere that it would not keep initializing if I did that. However, that is not the case it still keeps initializing.
  •