Geocaching Features

Started by Menion, June 23, 2011, 06:45:58

l0ck1e

Thanks for implementing the 528ft radius into the 1.13 update, works great.

Sent from my GT-I9100
  •  

Menion

you're welcome. Enjoy ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "l0ck1e"Thanks for implementing the 528ft radius into the 1.13 update, works great.
Agreed, does work great, although I was confused how to remove them!  The "clear temporary objects" doesn't do it, but a restart did.  Is that intended menion?

I have one more feature request.  :)  You have field note support, but it's a manual process to upload it to geocaching.com.  I found that Opera will properly upload it (stock browser will not), but it'd be awesome if Locus could do it.  I'd think it could post the field notes file to the form in http://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx and then the user could do the normal work on the GC.com website to log them?

If you need any help here I could try, I've done a little of this in curl before, I could try to identify the fields etc to upload it in one go.  But not sure about authentication into the site etc...
  •  

Menion

ah damn, it's only wrongly identified. Try to draw for example one line together with circles and "remove temp map items" will work

about uploading. In way you say, it's illegal. That's why this isn't in locus yet. I have promise from Arcao (author of G4L), that he will add support for upload into addon, so I hope he will do it ... soon :)
  •  

l0ck1e

To remove the radius, I just went back through geo tools again, radius and selected the same database. Then they all turned off.

Sent from my GT-I9100
  •  

Menion

ah yes, I forgot on this .. this also works :)
  •  

Khaytsus

One more thing that would be nice if Waypoints on Geocaches stayed selected and were not considered Temporary items which are unselected after closing Locus.  If I solve a puzzle, I want to see the waypoints shown all of the time.  And I want them as waypoints within the cache, so that they stay together, don't want to create a separate waypoint in my Favorites or something for it.

It would also be nice if a waypoint could have waypoints.  If I'm placing a multicache for example, it would be nice to create the "master" waypoint, say the (to be) published cache location, and within that I have added the other waypoints associated with that.  That way they're all in one place.
  •  

Menion

Hello Guys,
  I don't want to start new topic for some geocaching features so I'll continue here (I also renamed this topic)

Firstly, are you satisfied with current geocaching tools? As I wrote before, I don't wont to program some solvers etc. but graphics computations, that's in what Locus can excellent

Second part, more interesting. I wrote to groundspeak a long time ago with request to their ability to use their API. They respond positively. Meanwhile Arcao started to work on Geocaching4Locus addon, so I don't even start to work on some online features into Locus. When I look on Arcao code, last update is more then month old, so I decided to start some work on my own. I firstly warn that I really do not want do some full support for geocaching (online) because I think current system in G4L (geocaching4Locus) is good, fast, working and should remain as is. Anyway I would like to create some features that aren't in G4L and that should be useful.

So I would like to introduce first implemented and working feature. Screenshot below tell you secret what is done :).

[attachment=0:1lg6si6d]device-2011-10-02-204231.png[/attachment:1lg6si6d]

Current system works only on groundspeak.com testing server. They have to confirm my work and after that, it will go to public server. Till then I would like to implement some more (one at least) feature that should be more then useful so I'm asking what you guys miss most ... online logging? tell me ...
  •  

Khaytsus

Awesome!!  That'll help a lot with 1000 waypoint PQ's that won't get emailed out, I have stuck with 500's so far so they can get emailed, and honestly probably will continue to do it (I combine some 20 PQ's into one master then split out into areas around my state with no dups) but I can see this being really useful to download PQ's I don't currently have.

Here's a list of what I'd really like to have, not available in G4L..

Refresh of current geocache (latest coordinates, logs, etc are usually what I'm after, but update the whole record)
Logging of geocaches (F, DNF, Note, Needs Maintenance, _AND_ Owner Maintenance if possible)
Logging of pickup/dropoff/visit/discover of Travel Bugs (not sure if this is in the API or not)

That reminds me..  I don't do a LOT with Travel Bugs, but does Locus support them at all?  It'd be nice if there some Travel Bug inventory for waypoints (per cache record in PQ) and for the user (assuming user would have to input them, then Locus could mark them as in inventory or not).  It'd also be nice to be able to log picking up a travel bug while logging a cache.  Or an associated request I saw in another thread; the ability to take a picture and add it to a geocache or waypoint, I tend to take pictures of travel bugs and their tags.

BTW, to expand on the logging requests above, I'd love to be able to do Owner Maintenance on the fly on the phone, in fact for some reason this seems to be the on-the-fly logging I do most often in order to get the cache back online.
  •  

babi

These are really good news from menion!!
- I agree with Khaytsus with his first point - "refresh" feature will be great.
- Online logging will be great as well.
- I really miss one thing - images in listing! Will be great to do that automaticly with cache downloading.
  •  

stebu

Sounds good so far.

My top priority would be the display of N closest geocaches (= active POIs). A list or a method to access them on a custom screen.

I do not do PQs, I have my closest caches in .GPX file, that I can upload to my web page. So a configurable "PQ server" (=web url/xyz.zip) would be nice.
  •  

wvb

yay!
This is great news!
The feature I would like most is online logging, turn a Field Note in Locus to a log on GC.com website in a few clicks.
If this would exist I would no longer need the seperate Field Note upload I mentioned in the other thread.

- Turn Field Note into online log in a few clicks
- refresh a selected cache (redowload all info but keep existing Field Notes en normal notes)
- show near caches on map and select 1 to import to Locus (instead of import 20 at once)
   I mostly cache on the go, I arrive somewhere, check for caches, import 1, write a Field Note and log it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

paraflyer

Wonderful news...IMHO your app is really the best of all and the support is the cherry on a pie, Menion. :-)

In addition to the other suggestions I'd like more to have the ability to upload the field notes with a click. Currently I'm uploading the file to my dropbox and import it on my computer, but these steps are long. Switching to dropbox, click on "upload", select selecting-app, search the folder, search the file, select it, upload and then downloading it on the computer to import.

I could also imagine to have an opt-in auto-upload feature. Maybe after each log or once per hour the field notes could be updated to the server. This could save some clicks.

Nonetheless your app is also great without these features. :)
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "stebu"Sounds good so far.

My top priority would be the display of N closest geocaches (= active POIs). A list or a method to access them on a custom screen.

I do not do PQs, I have my closest caches in .GPX file, that I can upload to my web page. So a configurable "PQ server" (=web url/xyz.zip) would be nice.
Okay, I'm confused ;)  You don't do PQ's, but you have your caches in a GPX.  You create the GPX manually, or from loc files, or?

BTW, is anyone here using bcaching?  I have my caches copied there, but I really never use it either.  But what tools I've had which can use bcaching can also directly access GC.com so I've never had to either I guess.
  •  

Menion

fine guys, so

already done are Pocket Query downloading (and importing) from web and Field notes uploading

I'll try to pass some testing from groundspeak and release app with these features. How long it may takes .. don't know.

About other features ... I know that updating is improtant, but I still hope that this will be done in addon. Many features that work directly with geocaches is already there so I don't want to do same functionality ...

and thanks for nice words. Just don't create from me some proud monster ;)
  •