Geocaching Features

Started by Menion, June 23, 2011, 06:45:58

dibrial

A text calculator function (a=1,b=2,...) with a sum of char which can reduce the word value to digit would come in handy.
Also a way of filling in the found numbers (A,B,C,D,...) into a coördinate would be nice to have in the app (WP calculator). I now always have to use another app to make these notes and then type in the end coördinate of the multi cache.
  •  

Menion

Hi Dibrial,
  sorry but I'll really do not do this. I'm focused on things that use maps and similar ... as you wrote, for this exist few specialized programs and it will take really a lot of time to create this functionality and I rather invest this time into some more ... "map". Maybe later ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

stebu

After release 1.9 the draw circle seems to work more consistently.
I have a minor suggestion: When I want to draw a circle from "any point", I have to use the "Edit" button to make the changes to the coordinates. If I just edit (click on) the coordinate fields and change their contents, my changes do not stick on the resulting circle.
This is not a user friendly way; next time I need the circles, I'll probably make the same mistake again:(
  •  

Menion

thanks! same problem was also in line draw. Fixed now
  •  

dibrial

I missed the option to draw a line with only 1 coord, azimuth and length during a cache today. Could this be added?
  •  

Menion

you mean a line from one place? it same function as projection isn't it?
  •  

dibrial

You are right. This would also work, but it is an extra thing to do. I only needed the line to visualize it crossing an other line. Not an extra point. I have done this via a projection and then draw the line as you suggested.
I think it's more easy to draw the line without the new WP, but this solution will be sufficient.
  •  

dibrial

As a geocaching tool I would like to have a tool to create a new point as midpoint between two points. This is especially handy when visualizing a triangle midpoint using the draw line tool. Midpoint of a triangle is an often used feature with geocaching.
At the moment I have to use other tools to calculate, then write the coords on paper and afterwards enter them in Locus.
  •  

Menion

done ;)
  •  

dibrial

Another great addition to the GC tools. I hope to use it soon. Thanks. :)
  •  

Khaytsus

The tools you have added are quite nice, have a few suggestions. First, the circle tool is metric -only, if distance is set to feet the circle tool should match.  :)

A few suggestions around finding caches. A shortcut to mark a cache found, change the icon to one indicating it is found, optionally adding a note, and moving it to another catalog would be great for us data junkies. I like to keep all the caches I find for future reference, often because I am placing a new cache on the fly or such, and would be nice to have a shortcut to do these things.  :D

Another thing that would be nice is an option for showing a 161 meter/528 foot circle around waypoints so to see where one can place a cache in highly dense cache locations.

And for placing caches another nice feature would be the ability to average a new waypoints and see deviation etc, and stop the averaging when I am satisfied the coordinates are good.

Cheers!
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "dibrial"A text calculator function (a=1,b=2,...) with a sum of char which can reduce the word value to digit would come in handy.
Also a way of filling in the found numbers (A,B,C,D,...) into a coördinate would be nice to have in the app (WP calculator). I now always have to use another app to make these notes and then type in the end coördinate of the multi cache.
BTW, you might try GeoCache Calculator - http://www.appbrain.com/app/gcc-geocach ... isbehr.gcc

It has a zillion cache-related tools in it for such things.
  •  

l0ck1e

Hi menion,
Firstly I'd like to say what a great app Locus is and I try to show my support where I can. I've purchased Pro and vector maps which again is a great adding.
I use locus alot for caching, both finding and placing and its with the placing part that has got me wondering.
I know it possible to draw a circle from within the cache addon function but would it be possible to add an additional function that allowed you to draw a 528 feet circle around multiple points in one go, like a batch operation.
Incase you are not aware, this is the limit set by groundspeak which you are unable to place another cache within.
This would help greatly when placing a series of caches.

Sent from my GT-I9100
  •  

Menion

also requested in Khaytsus post ... so added and will be in next release
  •  

l0ck1e

Thanks Menion, and that is why Locus is such a great app because of the excellent dev support and speed of implementation.

Sent from my GT-I9100
  •