Geocaching Features

Started by Menion, June 23, 2011, 06:45:58

Menion

Good day to all,
  what about to add some more support for geocaching? Looks that a lot of users are GC fans so ...

I created yesterday new functionality "Draw circles" where you can define place and radius and it will draw circle on map. Some caches needs to be solved by drawing few circles or distances and intersection is place of some result. So what next? I'm not much experienced with geocache hunt so I need to hear, what other things should be useful. I also do not want to create some "solver" program. For this exist many much better programs. I just want to use map and help with solving cartridges that needs some "drawings" ...

EDIT: so I added also ability to draw lines from point to point. And because setting two places should be hard with actual system, I also created ability to pick point from map ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

MedoMys

Thanks for geocachers support ;)
If I can discuss improvements - I think more user friendly would be to draw lines and circles this option to include to "tools" for any waypoint. Ie. tapping the point be able to draw a circle from that waypoint, or select a waypoint as the start / end point of the line. Because solving GC problems mostly projects from existing waypoints, not from any new coordinates. Or, include option "existing waypoint" for picking up starting waypoint.

And I suggest the issue, which is used perhaps the most in GC - designing waypoint by azimuth and distance from any waypoint. Ie. in tools after you tap the waypoint to enable the "project new waypoint". I've noticed this option in menu for picking up point for draw circle or line, but there is not able to project new waypoint by azimuth/distance when creating new waypoint. Or am I wrong ?
  •  

scinkk

designing waypoint by azimuth and distance from any waypoint - I vote for it :)
  •  

Menion

guys, this is already there for a relatively long time ... try to add new point and next to coordinates press "news->projection"
  •  

stebu

Very handy! But...
Can I ADD a waypoint? Now it seems that the projection moves the original goecache to the projected point.
Sometimes you are not sure about the projection data, so it would be nice to be able to plot several projection points around the actual cache.
  •  

Menion

wait for next release, I did some more useful improvement to GC Tools, so discuss about functionality is shifted after first public GC Tools release ;)
  •  

durian

Just tried the circles, I was wondering, will there also be a way to take away a circle again, apart from exiting the whole application?

There was also a problem, after I exited the app, and started it again, drawing a circle would not show anything anymore. But then I had no satellite lock anymore, but I choose the centre of the map as a midpoint. But no circle was drawn.

-peter
  •  

Menion

I actually published version on market so try there. Anyway removing of circles is by "menu-> tools -> remove ..." ... as usually :)
  •  

durian

Of course, I had forgotten about that menu option  :oops:

I was wondering, would it be possible to have a line also when you project a point, like in the "draw line" option? So it would be a bit like a combination between line and projection, maybe with an extra option in the popup menu.

-peter
  •  

Menion

hmm will this be useful? It's no so hard to create on one side, but on another this should be more complicated then useful for me. I think, there is still easy way, to on few click create line between two point. And to be true ... how often you'll use this function? :)
  •  

durian

Not so often :) I just thought it would be a logical addition :)

-peter
  •  

Menion

ok :) when I'll have nothing to do, I'll add this also :)
  •  

wvb

I'm also checking out the Geocaching features of Locus.
I really hope you also like Geocaching and will add/enhance these features because the combination of vector maps and maps rotation make it ideal for it :)

I hope I can find some time to test it this week and will surely give feedback and ideas (if I have some :) )
  •  

Menion

Yes I like Geocaching, that's why GC have so big support in Locus, enjoy testing and let me know. I expect that these function will be used by every cacher once per year, but should be useful :)
  •  

netzzitrone

There is something that i miss.
Its not only a gc-feature. Searching/filter POI by name. (the only thing i saw is filter poi bei category)
And its sometimes very difficult to distinguish between waypoint of different cache. maybe different color? or a thin line between the Cache symbol an the relatet waypoint.
  •