Locus reports 650 meters Uphill Elevation on a lake trip!

Started by svartbjorn, June 19, 2011, 20:54:16

rijackson741

OK. Sounds good to me then  :D
  •  

Menion

heh, I forget on this. You have to kick me sometimes ... :) ... joe remind me this, so altitude filtering added. To be correct, light filter was already there (without it, results will be much worst) but now you can select stronger version. So test it, and if results will be still weird, I'll try to create some more "clever" filtering method
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joeloc

The most clever "filtering method" would be using the pressure sensor. Or offline DEM data. Or online DEM data. Or a clever combination of everything that is available :).
  •  

Menion

we'll see ... for now, this is a progress
  •  

joeloc

looks cute :)
  •  

joeloc

this new filter is not applied to imported tracks i guess.

when i import a track from gpsies.com (eg http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=mympxdsbzetublrl ), the climbing is still very wrong. gpsies shows it correctly though.
  •  

Menion

no it isn't. I'm thinking that current filter system is wrong and I'll have to rewrite it. Currently, I'm changing data that i get from GPS, and that's wrong I think. I should store original data to database and only display and use improved data by selected filter. I'll think about it ...
  •  

joeloc

I agree. Storing original data is better.

You could also store barometer reading with every point and do something useful with it later :). I know it's a bit hard/impossible to work on, if your own device doesnt have a pressure sensor. Might still be worth to at least keep it in mind for later. I believe pressure sensors will become quite common in the future. googles new flagship phone has one too.
  •  

Menion

hmm , I forget to change my labels, galaxy nexus is home because I had too much reports on some issues on ICS ... so I'll add it also, but later. This will really need to improve some more things. Also some heart-rate monitors will be needed so I'll take it at once ...
  •  

Matthy_47

Dear Menion, happy new year first off all.  ;)
What about the possibility of using the pressure sensor? I would really like to see this in Locus...
Thank you
Matthias
  •  

Menion

Thanks Matty ... I'm right now work on it ... he :D

... just thinking how to implement in best way ... just settings to enable/disable and result will be modified altitude by the pressure? hmm ...
  •  

joeloc

I think you need to calibrate it. That could either be manually by the user entering current altitude or automatically. You could eg take the first 5 gps heights when a new track is started and calibrate the sensor with that and then only use pressure data for heights.
  •  

Menion

yes, that's what I want to do ... calibrate it by GPS altitude, anyway question is whether there is need for some screen with info or all should be done on background, which is what I'm currently doing
  •  

joeloc

Background is nice most of the time i guess. However, in case of a serious weather change, calibration must be repeated. Manually?

Also, there might be circumstances when the gps altitude value is simply bullshit. Like in a canyon or or when climbing a huge vertical rock face or whatever.

I think, in the end, a manual calibration screen is sometimes required. It should allow entering the altitude but also allow using the current gps value.  Users can call this manual calibration when they thonk they need it (weather change or difficult gps signal conditions).

Or locus shows it when it fails at automatic calibration, eg because the gps measurements are too far apart.

All garmin devices deal with it in some way. They also have different modes later, ie some are better for flying and some for hiking. I dont really know what they do exactly, it might be worth some research.
  •  

joeloc

Its quite a complex topic really, just reading a bit.

http://www.gpswiki.de/dwiki/begriffe/barometer has some valuable info on how garmin treats it. U.fortunately in german....
  •