[APP] - version 4.0.+ ( 30. 3. 2021 )

Started by Menion, March 30, 2021, 07:22:08

Menion

@Andrew Heard
Problem is that you have more than one point on the map. Reduce it to 0 or 1 and it will work.

Street names, if I remember correctly, they are visible when computed over GraphHopper. I've already tried to use offline address search, but it seems to be too slow on this task for now. But yes, agree, this is something we should look at it finally  :-\
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on April 16, 2021, 21:55:07
Hi guys,
new version MapGooglePlay_4.0.2.3_1007_beta ready for weekend testing.
Well, played around with the syncing, back and forth, Route Planner, Track Editor - couldn't find any wrong behaviour whatsoever!  ;D ;D ;D
Thx a lot, happy you could squash this bug!

Just one tiny thing about auto-sync again: Somehow my tablet doesn't always notice there were changes. Two situations:

• Locus stopped on tablet, editing a track on phone, syncing; then start Locus on tablet: No auto-sync, have to sync manually. This I can reproduce on the tablet, but the other way round it seems to work.
  • Locus running on both devices, screen on. I edit on phone, sync, but no auto-sync on tablet. I think it worked once or twice, but I'm not sure. The other way round, it always works.
No idea what could be different. Only thing that comes to mind: My tablet is always in flight mode (no SIM), but with WiFi active (I know, it probably makes no difference, just superstitution that might save some battery). So if auto-sync doesn't run when flight mode is on, not looking at the WiFi state, that might explain it.

But apart from that, I'm happy now  :)

slarti76

Two more things:

Switch track and point details
I like that you can now switch back and forth, but it's not intuitive. It would be best to have the button switch from point to track in the lower left. I see the problem that then the point buttons are different for trackpoints and POIs. But for me, that would be less important.

Deleting in Track Editor
I still have the problem that in Track Editor, after deleting several single points or sections, at some point the track disappears and I have to leave/re-enter Track Editor.
Menion, sorry I always have to bring this up ;)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on April 17, 2021, 06:40:07
Problem is that you have more than one point on the map. Reduce it to 0 or 1 and it will work.
@menion - thanks for reply, but now I am more confused - how can a route be generated (completed) if there is only 0 or 1 points in existing route? My route example had 2 points so far. I am just curious/ testing as I have no real use-case, but if the function is there it should be more intuitive so reduce the Locus team support load.

Quote from: Menion on April 17, 2021, 06:40:07
Street names, if I remember correctly, they are visible when computed over GraphHopper
ahh - GraphHopper - ok, But now BRouter/ LoRouter is the default navigation source, lots of users will have the same confusion & question. I wait in hope. Should I start a help topic for voting?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: slarti76 on April 17, 2021, 15:30:27
Well, played around with the syncing, back and forth, Route Planner, Track Editor - couldn't find any wrong behaviour whatsoever!  ;D ;D ;D
the Cloud Sync doco should be improved (written) asap so users like in this topic https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7334.msg63206#msg63206 & https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/24280-cant-save-a-planned-route-to-library-on-web-planner don't get confused/ better understand how it operates/ don't have an unnecessary bad experience/ don't loose data or have duplicated data ==> give undeserved reviews. Bad ratings don't help anyone.

Viajero Perdido

Quote from: Andrew Heard on April 17, 2021, 23:59:43now I am more confused - how can a route be generated (completed) if there is only 0 or 1 points in existing route?
I had the same confusion, with nothing more than an error message to guide me.  I assumed (like others?) that you use that function after you've drawn the route to your destination, then it [does something magical] to get you back.

No, that's not the intent, you eventually figure out.  May I propose, "Suggest round trip"?

In areas with few roads/trails, sometimes 15km turns into 80+.  Is 15 the one-way or round-trip?  Who knows?  But often, I get far more distance than I expected.  Though in one experiment, it showed much wisdom in choosing a route, only lightly longer than requested, to a major viewpoint and back.  :)

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Viajero Perdido on April 18, 2021, 01:41:43
I had the same confusion, with nothing more than an error message to guide me.  I assumed (like others?) that you use that function after you've drawn the route to your destination, then it [does something magical] to get you back.

No, that's not the intent, you eventually figure out.  May I propose, "Suggest round trip"?
@Viajero Perdido - thanks so much - finally after a year I understand how this feature works - I had asked Menion a year+ ago when feature first implemented but never understood why it always failed.

"Suggest round trip" - yes better than "generate". How about "Suggest new round trip" to emphasize it really is a complete new route with just an optional starting point added by the user?

So to follow-up:

• Why does this feature need an internet connection? It doesn't work with offline LoRouter. Maybe it uses GraphHopper - I see (1st time ever for me) the navigation itinerary has proper street names!
  • If TWO or more points are already set, please improve the unhelpful/ misleading error message "place A point on the map to define the start of your trip" - this implies adding another point, which clearly isn't going to work. Maybe "To suggest a new round trip, please add at most one starting point"?
  • Now imagine a user not happy with their 1st attempt to suggest a new round trip, so they change the distance, direction or profile parameters, and tap "Suggest" again. This time they get the same unhelpful message. Workaround - just tap Undo - easy when you understand what happens "behind the scenes". Or could Locus silently perform the Undo itself to make a more pleasant experience for the user?
  • The suggested circle (see screen cap) could be a little smaller so it is completely visible. Maybe this is only a tablet-landscape issue. It wasn't originally evident to me you could influence the suggested direction of the route because the arrow head was obscured under the top heading "Generate round trip".
Otherwise it looks like a very nice feature!
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Quote from: Andrew Heard on April 18, 2021, 02:28:58
"Suggest round trip" - yes, slightly better & shorter text too.

In English, "Route Dreamer" might also work, as in, dream up a plan.  :)

Planner for when you know where you're going,
Dreamer when you're open to ideas..

And if I may offer an idea for an enhancement...  Route Dreamer sometimes routes me right out the other side of the local wilderness area, suggesting I add kilometers on country roads before returning to the green area and finally returning to the start point.  In bike- or walk mode, I'd much rather spend time inside the green area than on a dusty farm road.  Just a wild idea; simple matter of programming (SMOP), right?   ::)

Or...  "Route Suggester".  Sounds a bit quirky, in a good way.  Since you already have "Offlinizer", it would fit right in.
  •  

Find inspiration here. Has streetname info and multiple route select.
https://www.plotaroute.com/makemearoute
Registration is free and you already get 3 free test attempts.
Download as gpx track + waypoints > Select Directions. (Locus compatible)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Mi A2 Lite met Tapatalk

Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5

Tapio

Quote from: slarti76 on April 17, 2021, 16:56:17
Two more things:

Switch track and point details
I like that you can now switch back and forth, but it's not intuitive. It would be best to have the button switch from point to track in the lower left.

Yes, an intuitive toggle needed. I cannot even find the way back from point screen to frack screen, it seems well hidden! v 1007 here.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

@balloni55
#160: fixed & improved, thanks

@Andrew Heard
hmm, maybe after five years > LoRouter based routes will have set Street name for navigation points!

There is no support regards this "Round trip" feature yet :). 0 points > app will use current map center, 1 point > use this. it then generates a round trip in direction and closes to the defined total distance. Try it, it is simple ;).

Anyway thanks for the nice suggestions in the following post. I'll look at it. I also hope, that Radim finds some time and creates a little more robust in-house solution based on LoRouter that should support what I consider more important - a round trip over at least two (or more) points.

Documentation: don't blame me, it is a task for Michal! And as he does not know what to do sooner (80% of time spent on the help desk), it will take some time ... anyway big "FAQ" blog post will be published this week.

@slarti76
thanks for the tests!
Notification about sync, so-called "push notifications" are currently not completely in our control. It is a service from Google that uses "Google Play services" installed in every Google-supported device. So I really hoped, there won't be any troubles to fix ... hmm, your tablet ...

I'll try to play with more devices at once a little later. Currently, I test mainly web & one device.

Switch track <> trackpoints - I'll think about it.

Track editor > added to "Todo"

@Viajero Perdido
"Round trip" feature is again something not complete in our control. It is a feature that offers GraphHopper service and it simply allows from a single defined point, azimuth and expected distance, "generate/suggest" a "round trip", nothing more.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

lor74cas

ROUND TRIP:
I used to play with the "round trip" feature, but after the first wow effect I decided it was absolutely useless. Who would ever rely on a random rotation function around a point?
It is not possible to define preferences of any kind, be they historical, naturalistic or cultural, so rather than relying on a random function my choice at a crossroads would be that of the road I like best, at least it would be based on my choices.
Unless real utility can be found for this feature, integrating it with the options I wrote above (and all the complications of the case), it should be removed, useful and solid functionality better than things like this that do nothing but generate doubts in users.
Those who use a GPS and map device usually want to rely on certainties, not on a roll of the dice.
But this is just my thought, maybe someone else found it useful, but for now I haven't seen a single post.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

freischneider

Quote from: lor74cas on April 20, 2021, 08:03:45
ROUND TRIP:
I used to play with the "round trip" feature, but after the first wow effect I decided it was absolutely useless. Who would ever rely on a random rotation function around a point?
It is not possible to define preferences of any kind, be they historical, naturalistic or cultural, so rather than relying on a random function my choice at a crossroads would be that of the road I like best, at least it would be based on my choices.
Unless real utility can be found for this feature, integrating it with the options I wrote above (and all the complications of the case), it should be removed, useful and solid functionality better than things like this that do nothing but generate doubts in users.
Those who use a GPS and map device usually want to rely on certainties, not on a roll of the dice.
But this is just my thought, maybe someone else found it useful, but for now I haven't seen a single post.
There are people for whom this function is good. It's people who don't know what they want. Or people who travel a lot and have been everywhere in the region. And therefore no longer know where to go. It is important for them to just see something new. These people love the function.
There are more and more people like that in Europe.
Personally, I always look for a tour with Outdooractive, Komoot, etc. I then use this as a template and plan my tour based on personal references.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: 0709 on April 18, 2021, 18:56:27
Find inspiration here. Has streetname info and multiple route select.
Registration is free and you already get 3 free test attempts.
Download as gpx track + waypoints > Select Directions. (Locus compatible)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Mi A2 Lite met Tapatalk
Thank you for this link!
I like the way they calculate the ETA, it's something Locus (app and web) needs to improve.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

slarti76

Quote from: lor74cas on April 20, 2021, 09:47:14
I like the way they calculate the ETA, it's something Locus (app and web) needs to improve.
I'm not sure what they're doing there, but nobody, really nobody who regularly hikes or bikes would think in this way. The usual way to think is "300m up/hour, 500m down/hour", something like that. I don't know how many meters I have to go forward while going 1m up? And then measure this with 2 decimal places (1m up is 7.92m forward)???
Maybe a nice UI, but please no such nonsense in Locus. Perhaps you can calculate well with these inputs, but your result will be as bad as your input is.
  •