Web planner / portal

Started by Menion, February 12, 2021, 20:32:44

michaelbechtold

Sonny has provided 1" LIDAR based DEMs for most of Europe. And size difference is not some %, but a factor 8. That is costly, because most of the Locus users are from those areas in Europe ...
I think mountain freaks do know Sonny anyway, and know how to put those 1" files in place. Don't they?
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: michaelbechtold on April 09, 2021, 11:02:58
Sonny has provided 1" LIDAR based DEMs for most of Europe. And size difference is not some %, but a factor 8. That is costly, because most of the Locus users are from those areas in Europe ...
I think mountain freaks do know Sonny anyway, and know how to put those 1" files in place. Don't they?
Surely an old nerd, mountain enthusiast like me, knows how to do it on his phone, but it's not for everyone. Nor can I do anything about the data in your cloud, or maybe I can ?  ::)
"That is costly, because most of the Locus users are from those areas in Europe ..."
I can also read it this way: if there are many users who will benefit from it, then the cost may be even more justified.
But of course I see things as a user, I understand that as a company you need to evaluate costs and benefits

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

Viajero Perdido

@janaton, thanks for the detailed reply.

Using a cookie to open the planner at the last viewed location would be perfect.  Using browser-reported location would be fine as a fallback.  (I disable browser location because VPN breaks it.)

Search is working well and I'll admit I won't need it much, if the app remembers my last-used location.  I just found it odd at first, that the icon never gets enabled.  It's reasonable.

Web fonts are just a minor irritation.  This motivated me to find a Firefox extension to selectively enable them for sites/tabs that really need them.  In my world, that's this app and one other site.  Anyway, not worth a redesign if you have other tasks in the queue.  :)

Thanks, VP
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: michaelbechtold on April 09, 2021, 11:02:58
And size difference is not some %, but a factor 8. That is costly, because most of the Locus users are from
@michaelbechtold - but if that x8 more data is only on the Locus web server, not a user's device, then it is a win-win? The user gets better elevation accuracy when synced with online LoRouter routes and Locus can offer an even more compelling reason to use their online LoRouter & Live Sync, maybe even locked to Gold subscription?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

lor74cas

The maps on the web portal are generated with the contribution of OSM. But OSM has by its nature a continuous updating of the maps, Locus instead has periodic updates. For this reason the last update date should be viewable.
The same maps whose paths have undergone changes, for example in the nodes, can give rise to changes in routing.
I made some changes on OSM that also affect routing, obviously on OSM they are applied immediately, while on LocusWebPortalPlanner not.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

freischneider

As far as I know, the data will be updated 2 times a week. That should be enough.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

lor74cas

Quote from: freischneider on April 11, 2021, 15:26:26
As far as I know, the data will be updated 2 times a week. That should be enough.
Thanks, I think the map needs a legend and this information is placed somewhere. Latest update xx / xx / xx - Update freq. 2 weeks
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

lor74cas

The drawn track gets confused in some parts of the map as the color is very similar. I suggest using a dark border with the current fill in order to better distinguish the drawn part from the present one.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

nibby

Will it be possible to edit a saved track but also show other tracks at the same time?

like you can with the app on the phone

I want to link together some tracks I have on the computer but dont have the option to show other tracks to do this.
  •  

janaton

@lor74cas issue with broken elevation calculation should be solved (in some rare scenarios there were missing elevation for bridges). Thanks for pointing this out.
  •  

voldapet

Only brief comments to older posts related to problems in online LoMaps
@Missing power station - we can't quickly fix it because the data are missing in source vector tiles (we use data from Thunderforest where the tiles are hosted)

@Holes in contour lines - the same reason as power generators. Online LoMaps are hosted at Thunderforest and we are limited by vector tiles provided by Thunderforest. Unfortunately, the source data contains these "holes". We know about other errors in contour lines in Himalayas or Siberia. We've already reported it, so I hope it'll be fixed ...

I only mention that we can customize the content for offline LoMaps but online maps depend on Thunderforest data and it can be complicated to improve the style or fix some issues.

Thanks, Petr
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: janaton on April 15, 2021, 16:20:15
@lor74cas issue with broken elevation calculation should be solved (in some rare scenarios there were missing elevation for bridges). Thanks for pointing this out.
Pay attention also to the tunnels, the height difference of the mountain above is calculated.
https://web.locusmap.app/en/?planner=LYDwrgzgbgghBGBTA+gTSgBwGIBsBWMA3QDID2A6gIY4DWAlgHYDmA3IUA

But you are in good company Garmin does the same  ;D
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Hennes

Is it possible to import a gpx file in the web planner? (In order to edit it afterwards)

Otherwise the only solution would be to import in on the mobile device and than sync it.
  •  

Andrew Heard

When https://web.locusmap.app is first displayed, or refreshed, the #1-point textbox isn't selected, so the mouse cursor is a default arrow icon instead of a cross icon. The user is therefore prevented from quickly adding their first point to the map, which is confusing. I suggest the #1-point textbox is selected by default.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

raadoo

Hi, I'm new in this topic and haven't read all posts (but have been using Locus for 10 years, now I'm gold and decided to add my 2 cents).

1. There should be personal points  option next to routes. You should be able to show all poits from selected folder as it is implemented in mobile app. You should be able to select any point as a start, via or finish of a planned route.
2. You should be able to show any set of selected routes on a map (as it is implemented in mobile app)
3. Edit route - not only details but the route itself as well
4. When you start to plan a route you default type (walking) is already selected and you cannot change type afterwards. IMO it's not user friendly.
For now my impression is that web planner is inferior to mobile planner and a map in mobile app. Inferior in terms of number of features missing and some existing features are better polished in mobile Locus. But first of all I like Locus and really appreciate your work, progress and direction! :)
  •