Locus Map 4, discussion (beta)

Started by Menion, December 22, 2020, 12:20:09

luce

Good morning,

imo the usage of the "Favourites" function would be easier if it was integrated into the new point screen, maybe in the three point menu.

Best, Lucas
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: luce on March 12, 2021, 10:03:36
Good morning,

imo the usage of the "Favourites" function would be easier if it was integrated into the new point screen, maybe in the three point menu.

Best, Lucas
Isn't that "Quick bookmarks"? Then it is not only related to POI. Eg I start other apps from their, with lat/lon as parameters.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

john_percy

The Overlays dialogue seems messed up to me.
1. If I use a vector map as an overlay, I would prefer to see the theme chooser button in the overlay settings screen rather than next to the base map. Is this possible?
2. If I change the overlay map ("CHANGE MAP" button) the map changes real time but the displayed name does not.
3. If I change the style/theme of the vector map overlay, I have to turn the overlay off then on again to get it to display the change
4. As previously mentioned, too many of the variety of overlay blend modes are disastrous. Src Atop works for me.
5. Max rescale = 100% results in no overlay for me. As a long shot, this may be to do with Locus dynamic resolution being different for the vector map and the raster map, but it shouldn't be like this for the user.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

michaelbechtold

1. If I use a vector map as an overlay, I would prefer to see the theme chooser button in the overlay settings screen rather than next to the base map. Is this possible? YES, please!
4. As previously mentioned, too many of the variety of overlay blend modes are disastrous. Src Atop works for me. Multiply, Src in/out I consider useless, not sure about the others.
5. Max rescale = 100% results in no overlay for me. As a long shot, this may be to do with Locus dynamic resolution being different for the vector map and the raster map, but it shouldn't be like this for the user.
Same for me with 100%. I normally use use raster over vector as well as vector on top of raster at 200 or 400%. Seems to depend on the display resolution and the new dpi mechanics (although I switched this optimization off
  •  

luce

Quote from: tapio on March 12, 2021, 13:16:24
Isn't that "Quick bookmarks"? Then it is not only related to POI. Eg I start other apps from their, with lat/lon as parameters.

Ah... sorry, you're right, in the English version it's called "Quick Bookmarks". And yes, this is not only related to POI. But the other way round... every POI has coordinates, so why not add this option to the POI context menu?

Choosing "Quick Bookmarks" from the POI context menu is more intuitive than tapping a POI, swiping the point screen away again, trying not to move the map (because that would change the coordinates) and then tapping "Quick Bookmarks", that's why I made this suggestion.
  •  

joeloc

Point overwrite crash is fixed. Locus still dies randomly once or twice a day while phone is pocketed away, just recording a track. Obviously, nothing will be recorded until you notice Locus has disappeared.

Apps can no longer hold wake lock in foreground services:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/179644471

https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung

has up-to-date info on samsung killing apps. Maybe it helps to find a workaround? I know you own a Pixel, but likely the majority of your users have Samsung. They will suffer the same fate as I. I am considering running a cronjob to restart Locus every 5 minutes to avoid losing too much of my track.

This is not beta related, it's a android 11 / samsung horror issue I presume.
  •  

Tapio

Ah that's what you do. IMO the centering behaviour makes a quick bookmark call already very easy, have a look:
https://youtu.be/2_55uJUKsNc
I don't see that problem of the centre getting lost. You tap somewhere on the map, the point information disappears, the map moves perfectly and the poi stays exactly under the centre.
Quote from: luce on March 12, 2021, 19:21:03
Choosing "Quick Bookmarks" from the POI context menu is more intuitive than tapping a POI, swiping the point screen away again, trying not to move the map (because that would change the coordinates) and then tapping "Quick Bookmarks", that's why I made this suggestion.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luce

Tapio

Quote from: joeloc on March 12, 2021, 23:14:36
As for the cronjob, there is this Tasker plugin for Locus, it allows to check Locus states, eg if it is recording. ie it offers variables to Tasker. Unfortunately it does not seem to work with L4, maybe you may reach out to the dev Falco.
EDIT: It works! I made a successful check on %is_track_rec_recording
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=falcosc.locus.addon.tasker

I was also doing alive checks for a while with a beep every 5 minutes, because my prior device crashed and rebooted quite often and unnoticed by me.
  •  

Raddino

geocaching refresh problem

1) open geocache from map (imported in locus)
2) do not scroll down to see more cache detail
3) puzzle icon in botton bar > refresh cache (aktualizovat keš)
4) after refresh some parts of cache are missing (D/T, logs, WP, size, attribute, listing,...)
5) you need to swipe down to hide GC detail, click on the cache again and listing will be again visible
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2021, 13:30:27
@joeloc
As I see, for time downloading there is already set a 5 minutes timeout! I believe this is really long enough. What about contacting the guy behind this solution?
Apparently it's not long enough, otherwise it would work, wouldn't it? After all, the map sort of works as an online map... minus your tile rendering from cache bug that you keep denying :-). How often do you retry to grab a tile when a request times out?

How about a button "retry forever until manual abort" on the 1st error then?
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: tapio on March 13, 2021, 15:52:12
Quote from: joeloc on March 12, 2021, 23:14:36
As for the cronjob, there is this Tasker plugin for Locus, it allows to check Locus states, eg if it is recording. ie it offers variables to Tasker. Unfortunately it does not seem to work with L4, maybe you may reach out to the dev Falco.
EDIT: It works! I made a successful check on %is_track_rec_recording
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=falcosc.locus.addon.tasker

I was also doing alive checks for a while with a beep every 5 minutes, because my prior device crashed and rebooted quite often and unnoticed by me.
I am using live tracking with audio beeps for that purpose. No more beeps... Locus is dead. Still miss that from time 2 time and lose my track recording. It's just a nuisance while biking obviously... but can lead to a bad situation easily with more "serious" activities. Backtracking on a glacier in a whiteout without a properly recorded track can become surprisingly deadly.

Locus was always rock solid until Android 10 on Samsung Galaxys, now on 11 it's hit and miss. It's likely not menions fault, but still his problem :-).

Thanks for that Tasker thingy, will give it a try later.
  •  

Rainman2de

I have got an issue with Locus since I own it and this is several years and this issue prevents using Locus for me much more.
It appears when I import GPX-Tracks made in Komoot into Locus. These Tracks are displayed just perfect on the Locus-map. The point starts when i start the navigation on this track.
It seems like trackinformation are getting lost. Curves are flatened and so on.
My old workaround was to replan the track in Locus routplanner.
I now discovered that i just can make a new waypoint in the routeplanner and set this waypoint at the beginning of the track. This is important. It does not work if the point stays at the end of the track where it is usually inserted.
It seems as if the whole track gets recalculated then and navigation after that is just perfect.

Could this recalculation just be made automatically on imported tracks?

I guess i am not the only one with this problem.

On the attached screenshot you can see the green line as the original komoot track and the pink line is the navigation line from locus without correction
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: Rainman2de on March 14, 2021, 22:42:44
I have got an issue with Locus since I own it and this is several years and this issue prevents using Locus for me much more.
It appears when I import GPX-Tracks made in Komoot into Locus. These Tracks are displayed just perfect on the Locus-map. The point starts when i start the navigation on this track.
It seems like trackinformation are getting lost. Curves are flatened and so on.
My old workaround was to replan the track in Locus routplanner.
I now discovered that i just can make a new waypoint in the routeplanner and set this waypoint at the beginning of the track. This is important. It does not work if the point stays at the end of the track where it is usually inserted.
It seems as if the whole track gets recalculated then and navigation after that is just perfect.

Could this recalculation just be made automatically on imported tracks?

I guess i am not the only one with this problem.

On the attached screenshot you can see the green line as the original komoot track and the pink line is the navigation line from locus without correction
This topic is not for General Issues, it is for Beta only. General problems and questions can be asked here.  https://help.locusmap.eu/

There is already a suggestion for improvement for your problem. Simply vote for it or write further ideas.
https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/navigation-from-track
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Menion

@0709
Hi Willy, I probably do not get all your points.
Anyway:
- your file imports correctly to me. I do not see any problem, not even with the GIF image
- the increasing size of the "Locus/data/import directory > I know, this is terrible behavior  :-[
- improvements in export/re-import > this will have to wait a little more, sorry

@dyoghenes
Why you would like to attach existing points (LoPoints) to track during track recording?

@luce
hmm, an interesting problem with the volume. I'm unable to simulate this issue on own device but found something in the automatic bug-reporting system. Seems you are not allowed to change volume in case, Do-not-disturb mode is enabled in your device. I've improved this method so it should only display some ugly warning, but app should not crash anymore. Give it a try in the next version, thanks!

@john_percy, @michaelbechtold
thanks for the feedback regards the "Overlay" system.

1. interesting idea. Currently, I see main problem that map theme is unique across whole app. So the button in the overlay dialog change also theme for the main map, not just for the overlay.

2. this seems to happen only when picking from "recently used" section right? Fixed, thanks

3. nice, thanks. Fixed

4. blend modes were reduced some time ago. I simply can't remove some of them based on discussion here. It needs some deeper analytics and check which are really not used. So maybe later.

5. good point and exact explanation John! Interesting problem. Technically, when Locus Map decide to set base raster map rescale to 200% (and vector maps remains at 100%), raster map simply can be used at X/100%. If I disable this "100%" option in selector, it may still cause a problems on huge-DPI devices where base rescale for raster maps may be +-300%.

For now, in the dialog will be at least visible base scale parameter for the overlay so it will be easier to see reason why overlay is not visible. I'll anyway think about better "solution".

@joeloc
there is still something wrong with your device. Please double check device settings, there have to be some more optmization settings. Don't you have any other app that do some memory optimizations?
My colleague Jan has S10 with A11 as well, and he does not have any issue with latest app version(s). Anyway as you pointed on topics in Android issue tracker, as well as many many topics on the internet, over-optimized Android devices are causing huge problems, not just to Locus Map. Unfortunately ...

Killing apps together with overcomplicated system internal memory/SD card is making me mad and forcing me to waste weeks of time testing and searching for hacks that may work ...  >:( :o

About heatmap: yes, I'm keeping denying it because I'm unable to simulate any problem. I was playing with your heatmap today during improving of the overlay dialog and now it works fast and without any problems.

I'm not against any improvements in loading of online maps, but only in case, it makes sense. Here, you use some russian server to hack Strava heatmaps. There is no reliability, no certainty that server will work tomorrow and I already received few compains from the map providers that ended with blocked custom user-agent for online maps in latest app version. So sorry, I do not plan any improvements here for now.

@tapio
ah, this is really nice usage of quick bookmarks :)

All existing add-ons should remain working. Locus Map 4 is for them (add-ons) still Locus Map Free, so no problems are expected.

@Raddino
thanks for the report. Exactly this was already reported by @balloni55 some time ago, but unfortunately I'm still unable to simulate this problem on own device ... weird  :-\.

@Rainman2de
this probably happens because imported track does not have any navigation instructions, so app simplify track a little bit and try to generate instructions based on it's shape.

Re-calculation after import: something similar is planned, but it really is not so easy task so it will take some more time. Anyway, my main question: why you import track from Komoot to navigate in Locus Map? Why do not using navigation directly in Komoot or plan your route in Locus Map?

And as @freischneider wrote, this topic is mainly for finalization of new LM4. Thanks for understanding.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luce

john_percy

@Menion wrote:
1. interesting idea. Currently, I see main problem that map theme is unique across whole app. So the button in the overlay dialog change also theme for the main map, not just for the overlay.

You already have a screen with two themes, one for the main map and one for the overlay, but now I see it's only shown if overlay is v3 and main map v4 (or vice versa).

@Menion wrote:
4. blend modes were reduced some time ago. I simply can't remove some of them based on discussion here. It needs some deeper analytics and check which are really not used. So maybe later.

It's not just that they are not used but that some don't work properly, at least for me.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •