How to manage your tracks and points on the desktop

Started by Marvout, November 30, 2020, 06:51:20

Marvout

I understand Locus is an Android app, and I'm seeing how powerful it is, but I do want to do planning on a bigger screen with a keyboard and mouse.

• What apps do you use to manage, create, and edit your tracking/routes/points data on the PC (Windows10) and then later sync that info into Locus?
  • How do you sync that information back and forth?
  • How do you keep a back up of all your data on the PC/off of Android?
  •  

JohnCNA

I use Garmin's BaseCamp software on my laptop. It has some very nice route and track creation and editing tools.

I can export multiple routes, tracks and way points to a single GPX file to Dropbox. Import into Locus and it separates the way points into a List and the tracks & routes into the Tracks section.

Going from Locus into BaseCamp, export a waypoint list and a track list to Dropbox and then import them into a single or separate lists in BaseCamp.

There is no option to sync automatically between the two.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Marvout

Saturo

Manage, Create, Edit with Qmapshack
Import/Export via Dropbox
  •  

jonny.blue

I use LM parallel in my tablet ...
There I can do all things on a bigger screen ... and with new sync function of LM4 both devices have (almost) automaticly synced points and routes.
  •  

freischneider

I wouldn't go to the old Garmin software. Locus Web is coming soon, then you can do everything via the browser. I manage everything in Locus. But also export my tracks to google Drive (Dropbox works too). You can set a data backup automatically. Then all tracks and points are saved.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Windows Garmin Basecamp still has a far more efficient track point editor (see screen cap) than in Locus. Sometimes I use BRouter web for route planning, but otherwise, I just use Locus for everything these days.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

ThomasD.

I use an android emulator (Memu) for running Locus Pro on my Windows PC. Used Basecamp for years and I am lucky to get rid of it. Now I have identical solution for planning and navigation.
Regards,
Tom
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Thomas, would you mind sharing the Android MEMU download that is working fine for you ?
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

ThomasD.

Regards,
Tom

tommi

Just another option possible with newer Samsung phones is Samsung Dex.
You connect the phone via USB to your PC and get a window (or fullscreen) with the screen of your smartphone. Actually you control your smart phone with keyboard, mouse and PC screen.
Using Locus for planning makes fun and there is no need to copy, sync, convert, export, import or anything else.

Teamviewer (control smartphone from PC) might be another option with the same benefits and working also for other smartphones.
  •  

Neoaliphant

Bluestacks emulator works great as well

also scrcpy which is usb cable screen mirroring is a great way to control phone from PC

Also anydesk works as well, which is similar to teamviewer

and motorola phones should be getting something like dex soon
  •