No auto switch between raster and vector maps

Started by NickJP, September 10, 2020, 02:03:03

NickJP

Locus 3.48.0 on a Pixel 4 running Android 11. I have the OpenAndroMaps world 1-9 raster map installed (http://download.openandromaps.org/maps/world/W1-9-J70.mbtiles) and also their vector maps for Australia and Europe. If I'm in one of the detailed vector maps, and zoom out and then pan across to an area not covered by the vector maps, all I see is a blank white screen where the map should be. Zooming in or out at this point makes no difference. I have to select Maps off the main menu and center the world raster map from its three dot menu to get it to appear, after which I can see the map for the area that was previously displaying as blank.

Conversely, if I have the raster map displaying, and pan across to an area for which I have vector maps installed, Locus doesn't switch to the vector map as I zoom in. The only way to get the detailed vector map is to again select Maps off the main menu and center the vector map off its three dot menu.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi NickJP,
assuming that you use this world map as pre-loaded global map (advanced map feature setting), you should check your offline map settings: automatic map loading needs to be switched on.
For me this combination works like a charm.
Fingers crossed for you.
Cheers
Michael
  •  

NickJP

Thanks, I had automatic map loading enabled for both raster and vector maps, but what I hadn't enabled was pre-loading of the global map. Once I turned that on, the auto switching between the global map and the vector OpenAndroMaps started working.

However, there are still problems switching between vector maps. Here's what I see when from my home location in Australia I search for Valence, which is on the France_South map, so I'm switching from one OpenAndroMap to another. I have to do a zoom in or out to get the entire screen showing the map:

As well as OpenAndroMaps I also have a couple of LoMaps installed (for Christmas Island and Singapore, which avoids having to have 2.5Gb of the OpenAndroMap Malaysia-Indonesia map installed just to get those two small areas), and there are problems switching between OpenAndroMap and LoMap vector maps. This is what I see if I search for a location on Christmas Island, involving a switch from an OpenAndroMap to an LoMap. To get the map to display here, I have to open the map menu and tap on the map for the location:

And this is what happens going in the other direction - having an LoMap displaying and telling Locus to centre the map at my current location, which is on an OpenAndroMap. The POIs show up, but not the map itself. I have to similarly open the map menu and tap on the map for the area to get it to display:

•  

michaelbechtold

Glad the switching works now - in principle.
The malfunction you see now is beyond my reach. I think only Menion can comment.
  •  

Menion

Few notes
- OpenAndroMaps are not compatible with LoMaps. OAM maps are based on MapsForge V4 format, LoMaps use older V3 format. Maps cannot mix.
- I do not know how exactly works autoloading for OAM maps (V4 format) to be true. I personally created autoloading for V3 format, where it should work quite well I believe (so auto-loading for LoMaps)

With the above info, the mentioned problems make sense ;) (sorry).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

I can confirm that selecting an OAM map (checked in high zoom), then moving far away via the world map (low zoom) and digging deep again will bring the respective OAM map correctly.
Did not try jumping between LoMap and OAM, though.
  •  

poutnikl

I confirm that. OTOH, moving to  other maps while on high zoom level often does not work, perhaps because of typical large overlapping of OAM maps. LoMaps are said to have more precisely and explicitly defined boundary.