Locus Map - cloud/sync server

Started by Menion, September 08, 2020, 13:06:05

freischneider

Quote from: jonny.blue on October 10, 2020, 11:35:01
Downloaded new version ... but the visibility problem is still there 🙄

Just to describe what I do and why it's important for me:

on tablet I prepare my geocaches in different folders. Some caches I hide (deactivate visibility) to see only those caches I want to solve when I'm outdoor with my mobile.
At the moment sync works good for folders and points ... but all caches on my later synced mobile are invisible.

Anyone any idea?
Is there anything I do wrong or is it just a bug (or maybe a feature 😁)

You could put the caches you want to be visible in a separate folder. And then only show this on the phone.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Erelen

Quote from: Menion on October 10, 2020, 11:55:23we decided not to transfer visibility state to allow a unique set of visible items on every unique device.
And what about order of folders and groups (for tracks and for points)? They doesn't sync by design or just not implemented yet?
  •  

Menion

This is really good question Erelen. I personally suffer for many years because of inability to sort folders internally :). Unfortunately, there is still no internal parameter that keep folders in some "sort" order. The result is, that in certain situations, result on the second device may not match exactly. Quite unfortunate.

Probably best should be to sort folders always by it's name. For now. I'll think about it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on October 12, 2020, 08:02:29
This is really good question Erelen. I personally suffer for many years because of inability to sort folders internally :). Unfortunately, there is still no internal parameter that keep folders in some "sort" order. The result is, that in certain situations, result on the second device may not match exactly. Quite unfortunate.

Probably best should be to sort folders always by it's name. For now. I'll think about it.
They're not sorted? Seriously...? On my device, folders and groups always seem to be sorted by name, even when I create a new one. That can't really be "coincidence", can it?
  •  

Menion

Of course, they are sorted ::) .. sorry, I was confused by Erelen's question because it looked like they are not. My mistake.

Oki, steps, back ... @Erelen, you see items sorted other than by name on the second device?
  •  

Erelen

After some time, order on my tablet become the same as on the phone. But now I reproduce problem: reinstall Locus 4 on my tablet and delete Locus/data/Database. And after first sync ("Full download" mode) I see different order again.

And I see pattern: on my phone my "conventional" order - english named folders (in alphabetical order) at first and cyrillic folders (in alphabetical order too) after them.

But on the tablet cyrillic folders are first and then - english.
  •  

slarti76

Hi, so I finally tried out the sync on one of my phones. The thing I noticed is that when clicking on the sync icon, the next screen is always the same, no matter whether you already synced or not. It always says "Start" which is confusing - seeing this after you already synced for the first time makes you think it didn't work. Also, there's still the button "Later" which makes no sense after you already started syncing.
I think that, after you set up sync, a click on the icon should immediately bring up the settings, best with the Advanced Options integrated.

One more thing: On this phone I have two Google accounts. Now as I aready logged in with one of those accounts in the store, so sync used that one without asking. Is that a restriction by Google that you can only use one Google account in the whole app? I would understand, but if it's possible to choose separately, that would be more flexible.
  •  

Menion

Hello @slarti76,
I've just published a new version of LM4 test version. I made quite a lot of changes in sync UI so give it a second try. Idea is that this screen should not be needed in the end, it should be completely automatic (not yet).

Google accounts: Locus Map don't care (do not know) which accounts are on your device. We use a single account for the whole Locus World (Locus Store, sync system, planner web planner, live tracking, etc). So it's just on your which account you choose (currently only possible to change in the side menu in Locus Store).Just keep in mind that synced data, purchased content in Store etc, are bound to your account!
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on October 29, 2020, 15:17:21
Hello @slarti76,
I've just published a new version of LM4 test version. I made quite a lot of changes in sync UI so give it a second try. Idea is that this screen should not be needed in the end, it should be completely automatic (not yet).
Yeah, ok, understand. Already looked at it, looks better.

QuoteGoogle accounts: Locus Map don't care (do not know) which accounts are on your device. We use a single account for the whole Locus World (Locus Store, sync system, planner web planner, live tracking, etc). So it's just on your which account you choose (currently only possible to change in the side menu in Locus Store).Just keep in mind that synced data, purchased content in Store etc, are bound to your account!
Ok, I kinda expected that. Not a problem, just curious. Probably would be better to move the selection of account to the settings (now that it's used in several places), but you seem to be aware of it.

Another question:
Is it planned to also sync icons and attached media at some point? At least icon ZIPs would be nice, and that shouldn't be too much data. With media, I can imagine that they could get quite big - and potentially difficult to sync if media from outside the Locus data directory is linked. How is this handled now?
  •  

Menion

Accounts ... what is planned on near feature is something like "My account", probably in the main menu, instead of Locus Store, where you should be able to change nick, photo etc. So yes, we are aware of it.

Attachments and icons ... well, attachments are currently a weak spot. We have a system for them set up on paper, but because we want to do it properly, it will take some more time so it won't be finished for the first version. But it is with very high priority next in the row. Together with it is planner bigger change in Locus Map & work with attachments in UI (simplier, faster).

Icons ... well, I'm still not sure what to deal with them, sorry :). So for now, they won't be synced as well.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on October 29, 2020, 18:50:32
Icons ... well, I'm still not sure what to deal with them, sorry :). So for now, they won't be synced as well.
Couldn't you just sync the ZIPs in data/icons? Would be useful in any case.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Cloud Sync > tap More Info button > there is less info (no date/ time), but mainly same info on bigger screen.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Andrew Heard

About 2 weeks ago I tried a manual cloud/sync for 1st time. Just 1 device. I assume it was OK - no errors.

So yesterday after a few more tracks & points I tried another manual sync. I was expecting the process to be fast because there were only 2 weeks of new tracks & points, but 40 minutes later I find that LM4 has created duplicates of every track, every point, every folder, every group.

Naturally this was quite annoying because A) when you delete a group you still have to delete each folder within the group, there is no option to delete all at once B) I then had to carefully pick which of each pair the latest changes, if any, were in, and delete the other. In one case I made a mistake & had to import.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

jonny.blue

sorry, but this is intended behavior.
Sync system currently sync data, but not it's visibility state.

I really want go back to this point ....

I thought sync is build for 'syncing' several devices to have the same data (points, tracks) on more than one device.

And in that way I would like to use it:
Building routes, loading and sorting geocaches on my tablet  ... and than go out with my synced mobile and see all those routes and caches ... and just walk and find them.😁
At the moment I have all my tracks and caches on my mobile but especially all those needed new points are invisible.
I have to enter every folder and set all to visible 😳

Do I use/understand 'sync' in a wrong manner?

What is the use case for a different visibility state?

Is there a workarround for this/maybe only my 🥴 problem?
  •  

michaelbechtold

I did a quite systematic test with three devices  in summer and stumbled across the same issues.
Followed by a discussion wit Menion.
Bottom line: there needs to be ONE master for the initial SYNC, other need to be empty followers.
The reason why: the finger print is not by content, but by some meta data combination, incl. time stamps of the local device (or so).
I strongly proposed to go to a hash across contentand title (and ignore the usual suspects that may differ for thechnical reasons). Such would avoid any of those problems (after some deeper analysis and proper solution design).
But it is not the way they built it - until now ...
Cheers
Michael
  •