Offline LoMap Norway - sea area white tiles zoom 14+

Started by Terje, August 31, 2020, 21:59:22

Terje

Hello to you all! This is my first post.

First I want to say that Locus map is my favorite nav app. I like the way it works, like the way to edit (adjust) GPX files. And I discover new things all the time!

I have run into a strange problem with the tile rendering of offline Norway LoMap.

When I increase the zoom to level 14 and beyond, white tiles surface and start covering part of the sea areas and also some islands. It happens inside the fjords, so it's not outside of the map boundaries.

As an example search for "Bud" on the west coast of Norway, but it happens all along the coast.
Same problem surface, mostly in the same spots. As the zoom is increased, large parts of the sea surface is white.

I an using Huawei Mate 20P, Xiaomi Mi 2 (And 10), and Asus Zenpad (And 7).

The way I deal with it is to load openandromaps, they render perfectly. They are twice the file size, but they work.

Anybody who has a  suggestion?
  •  

Menion

Hello,
I'm checking the mentioned area in the Norway map.

Empty tiles you may see do not mean problem in the map. It is more a problem in how Locus Map draws empty tiles. In these areas is nothing except the ocean, no islands etc.

Anyway, agree it may be a little bit confusing. I'll look at it if there isn't any space for improvement.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

If it's not an issue with the map, why are OAM maps ok?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

OAM almost always (?) uses Mapsforge4 maps, so they use the new version of Mapsforge renderer. LoMaps still use highly customized V3 versions as you surely know.

Now sure how correctly works autoloading for V4 maps, but unfortunately V3 system collides with the mentioned problem. Complicated :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: john_percy

Terje

Thank you for explaining the reason. It's a minor issue really.

I see more of it than most others, living in a part of Norway scattered with fjords and islands (Ă…lesund).

Anyway, I have the luxury to use different maps. LoMaps surely has the best looks!

And OAM maps seems to use the same elevation data.

Thanks for an excellent map app
  •