Open access land vs private land on England Lomap

Started by GusGF, July 07, 2020, 23:08:35

GusGF

UK ordnance survey maps show open access land (you can wild camp on) and private land (cannot camp on). How do I know this from looking at Lomaps?
  •  

john_percy

AFAIK the underlying map data from Openstreetmap does not record Open Access Land in England so neither LoMaps not OAM maps can display it.
There is an Ordnance Survey type theme available for Locus that mimics the OS display of Open Access Land but the areas it marks are not actually open access as far as I can see.
Also, to clarify, land being open access does not make wild camping legal in England and Wales without the permission of the land owner. (You might be more likely to get away with it there however.)

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: GusGF

GusGF

Thank you for replying.

Yes it does appear very restrictive unlike Scotland but to some extent I can sort of see why but also don't agree with it. Because the people who will abuse i.e. leave extensive trace e.g. raves, substance abuse fuelled parties will always ignore the law no matter what. The vast majority who wild camp I believe are sensible and will leave no trace.
  •