MyMaps initiation

Started by air7, June 12, 2011, 10:10:04

air7

Good Morning,
I downloaded the app last night and already love it!
It is impressive, how superior it is to Google Tracks and Trimble Outdoors (tried these in vain before...)

The first trouble I ran into is Google MyMaps, which I would really like to use (import my tracks).
I have read all manuals and researched here in the forum but can`t find a similar problem:

In Locus`blog it is described to go to "tools", then MYMAps etc... but there is no MyMaps under Tools, in my version 1.8.7 it is under "functions" - but when I tap on "My Maps" in there, nothing happens...

What am I doing wrong....?

(Galaxy S2)

Besrt regards, Volker
Switched from iPhone4 to Galaxy S2 bcs screen
went on to -->Galaxy Note 2 --> then Note 3 --> now on Note 4 and Cat S40 rugged phone
SW: tried MotionX GPS (iOS), Google tracks and Trimble Outdoors on Android in vain
use Locus Pro since 2011 (internat. and offroad navigation, track record, share)
  •  

Menion

really nothing happen? Do you have any Google account in your phone? If you have one, you should see some confirmation dialog if you allow to use your account. If you have more then one account attached, then you should see choose dialog.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

air7

thx for the quick answer!!
no, really nothing happens.
I have one Google account on there and it works in all functions (mail, market, etc...)
went on to -->Galaxy Note 2 --> then Note 3 --> now on Note 4 and Cat S40 rugged phone
SW: tried MotionX GPS (iOS), Google tracks and Trimble Outdoors on Android in vain
use Locus Pro since 2011 (internat. and offroad navigation, track record, share)
  •  

air7

hi there,
just found that the Galaxy S2 has a bug with Google My Maps - and the firmware that fixes it, is not yet available here in Switzerland :-(
will keep you posted!!!
  •  

Menion

fine. It looks that you phone will be same big problem as previous Galaxy S. Fine, let me know when you'll have some news
  •  

air7

hallo again,
did my firmware update (( I9100KE7 Android 2.3.3 (21.05.2011) (Kies) (XEU)  )) and the google my maps bug is indeed fixed.
after 2 tries (error messages first...) it connected like a charm and now displays my google "my maps"

but...
when I select one and try to display it, it is only a straight line and does not follow the tracks I actually recorded! what am I doing wrong...?

Also, how do I export a track I just recorded to Google "My Maps" - so I can display it and potentially share the link on Facebook?
  •  

Menion

hi,
  hmm you mean, you draw path on web and set it as "follow road" and in locus is only straight line. That's the problem? It's correct, because path is computed by some google api on web. About uploading of tracks. I had this wish few times, but I'm sure that My maps isn't much useful for sharing bigger amount of points. It also have some limit, I think around 5000 points. This is also reason why I added support for GPSies server which is excellent choice for track sharing and you can upload track directly from Locus. Do you think that using My Maps for track sharing is useful? As I wrote, there are limits anyway it can be done if will be required.
  •  

air7

thx again for your quick answer and great support!
yes, most of the tracks I recorded with my motorbike (some offroad) are on Google My Maps - and they only appear as straight line from Start-point to finish-point on the map on locus.
but you are right, I do not consider it critical. I have now signed up to GPSies and it looks good, I will try to work with that.

However, one feature I found extremely useful when working with MotionX GPS on the iphone, was the ability to "Share" a link of a track I just completed on Facebook etc. It was a link to the regular Google Maps displaying my track. that is great. it looks like this: http://share.gps.motionxlive.com/shr/x/ ... 17e292486a
and there is a button to save the track in Google My Maps... Just as FYI
  •  

air7

Quote from: "air7"However, one feature I found extremely useful when working with MotionX GPS on the iphone, was the ability to "Share" a link of a track I just completed on Facebook etc. It was a link to the regular Google Maps displaying my track. that is great.

Hallo again,
I would like to come back to this question:
would there be any chance to implement a sharing functionality, that allows me to post a recorded track (i.e. a just completed hike) as a clickable link on a map to Facebook?
For me it would be added value to better share my hiking trails with friends and include all the details rather than the current functionality of just sharing the screen to Facebook.
For you, there is a lot of marketing potential when users share there adventures with clearly "Locus Pro" -labeled content to Facebook (as PR manager I am aware of the value ;-)

the workflow should be like this:
 - click on track (ideally even before saving)
 - click share
 - select social media platform (Facebook or other)
 - done...
 - on Facebook one should see a snapshot of the map and when you click on the path, the track information details should be displayed together with Locus Pro info

...possible ;-) ?
Best regards, Volker
  •  

Menion

Hello Air,
  I'll gladly add support for this. But
1. best place for such idea is on GetSatisfaction
2. this idea have my support!
3. and finally, I was already looking on it, let's say half year back, but had no idea how to do this :) Any suggestion? And I don't think where to place some sharing button in Locus, but I think how to do this on facebook. I think that there's need to upload track to some site and from there send link on facebook correct?
  •  

berkley

Ehm... you have already place for exporting tracks as gpx, kml and to gpsies, breadcrumbs and so on... just add facebook :D

About integration in facebook itself, you should have a look here:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/gu ... _hackbook/

have fun ;)
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

air7

hey, thank you for the quick and "interested" answer, I really appreciate it!
you are a star!!

join me on Facebook to see how I currently do it: it is a bit awkward, but get`s the job done...
and unfortunately there is no link to Locus Pro, which you would REALLY deserve!
http://www.facebook.com/volker.jacob
check out my post from 19.05pm today.

- I make a screenshot of the current track (or select "share screen" - to Facebook, but since I will have to work with more screenshots later, it is easier for me this way....
 - then I make screenshots of the track data and the chart and post them as well
 - this way, Facebook displays: Volker just posted 3 new photos - and my friends can easily click through the track details

but unfortunately this is strictly "static" and doesn`t allow any interaction with the track...
And yes, you are right: the track will have to go to any site (Google Maps or GPSies) and then somehow come back to Facebook.
Again, check how MotionX GPS (for iPhone) does it, they got it perfected.

Best regards, Volker
  •