Modify some navigation points from "Navigation along a route"

Started by Abricot, May 31, 2020, 10:45:50

Abricot

Hi,

I use the Function "Navigation along a route" from some GPX tracks I downloaded from the Net. It is my standard usage, for MTB on small pathes in forest and moutains. It is wonderful : Locus Map automatically generates navigation commands along the route in places of the most remarkable direction changes.

But here are some little mistakes sometimes : when there is a bifurcation with a small angle, you have to choose right or left but the navigation says nothing (probably because the angle is small).

Is there a way to improve this ? Can I make myself some add-ons inside the navigation prepared by Locus Map automatically (I mean I would add this navigation point myself in the Lotus navigation plan) ?

Thanks !
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,

I really do not think, that now, in "new" route planner, it's worst then before.
Anyway, you have a little specific needs that are currently not covered by the app directly > btw. nice idea.

Best steps should be >
- open track detail and press - tools > Make a copy
- in copy dialog, do not forget to enable "Add navigation prompts"
- open copy! of the track and in bottom menu choose "Route planner"
. in the Route planner, you may then quite simply remove existing navigation points or add a new (by tapping on the trackpoints).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Abricot

Abricot

OK, super, I had not seen the "Make a copy" feature ; I'll do so, and I won't forget to navigate the new track, thanks !
  •  

Andrew Heard

There are also the Route Planner Undo/ Redo buttons if you make a mistake?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Abricot

The one I used is "Service 1". Locups Map user guide says : "Locus Map automatically generates navigation commands along the route in places of the most remarkable direction changes." This is what I thought was delegated to BRouter or GrapHopper. But I get your point that is is not delegted, i.e. it is done by Locup Map itself directly.
  •  

poutnikl

BRouter generates(creates) navigation hints, if set to do so, LocusMap just announces them.

LocusMap generates them only if they are missing in data received from BRouter. They can be turned off in BRouter profile or in LM BRouter profile config.

LocusMap navigation hints follow the track geometry. BRouter hints follow the true crossings/junctions.

If the track file comes from the 3rd source than BRouter had nothing to do with it and LM create the geometry based guidance. To get Brouter-like guidance, the best is ( aside of track creation by BRouter in the first place ) to display that track and to create BRouter track in the Route planner along the provided track.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Abricot

@poutnikl : you wrote "to display that track and to create BRouter track in the Route planner along the provided track" => you mean to create the Route by placing the hint points myself along the displayed (GPX) track (one by one), or you mean using a precise feature with BRouter which could place some hint point automatically along the displayed (GPX) track ?
  •  

poutnikl

No, hint points are placed by the BRouter while generating the track for the particular route segment.

I mean :

- Set the imported track to be displayed in LocusMap.

- Launch Route Planner, with viapoints(VP) or shaping points (SP) as defaults.

- Prefer VPs to SPs if the route is more round-like than straight-like. It will prevent ugly surprises in some cases of route recalculation.

- Set appropriate BRouter profile.

- Mark the start at the route start.

- Version A:
    - Mark the sequence of consecutive VPs/SPs on suitable places until the destination.
    - Prefer sparse placement.
    - If the created route segment does not fit the displayed track, drag the round icon with the bicycle ( center of the route segment ) to the place of an extra VP/SP.
    - If applies, convert some SPs or navigation/hint points to VPs, if they are kind of POIs to you.

- Version B:
    - Mark directly the destination.
    - Iteratively drag the centers of route segments on the displayed track, until the whole route fits the track.
    - If applies, convert some SPs or navigation/hint points to VPs, if they are kind of POIs to you.

Abricot

OK, I'll try to follow precisely. Is there any option to do it on a PC or only possible on the smartphone ?
  •  

poutnikl

I am not sure. Until recently there was no way to upload a track to BRouter-web to display it, but there were presented ideas to implement it. Not sure about the current state.

Or, you may try some Android emulator or virtual machine.

Imho, it is quite convenient to do so on the phone, unless the screen is too small.

poutnikl

Yes, sure, I have checked now, there is the track upload.

I do not use BRouter-web much for route planning.

Abricot

Hi,

These methods are difficult to me. So I'm trying very progressively. I started with the first method, given by @menion at the beginning of this post : taking my imported track, making a copy of it not forgtting to enable "Add navigation prompts" => the copy is now a Route including some navigation hints (tiny blue dots - not so easy to be seen on my blue line : - ) created automatically. Then I need to make some improvements on the navigation hints/instructions myself.

1) Directly from the main map display screen (i.e. not Route Planner), I can Delete some unuseful navigation hints and I can Modify the direction instruction ("trun to the right"...) of some useful navigation hints. It works perfectly well, super ! Just I have to be courageous because I have to tap (click) 9 times per hint point to be modified. For a 32 km route it took me a very long time and it put me under pressure honnestly. At the beginning of this post, @0709 says : "in old versions it was easy to add, change or remove a navigation instruction at any single trackpoint location".
Question 1 : would it be possible to have an ergonomy improvement (i.e. optimize the number of clicks) ? It would be wonderful :-)

2) To just add a missing navigation hint (I just need to add a missing instruction), I really do not succeed. I open the Route in the route planner and I try everything I can, reading again and again the user guide, but unsuccessfully alas. Sometimes I think it works because I can change a point into a navigation point and I can select the direction instruction. But in the end when I want to save my modifications, the app wants to delete the initial Route...
Question 2 : could someone eplain me little step by little step how to add just a direction instruction (or just a navigation hint) in an existing route ?

Thanks for your help !

PS : in the navigation instructions menu, the fact that the icon and the voice are grouped together automatically is really good ! That's not the case in some other advanced apps...
  •  

Abricot

Some precisions about my problem in chapter 2) [I can't add a missing navigation instruction in my route]

In User Guide -> Chapter "Track/Route editing" -> Section "Editing navigation commands" -> Paragraph "Adding"
(https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:tracks:editing#editing_navigation_commands)

=> its says I should do the following : open the route in route planner -> tap the place where I want to add navigation point -> select "Change to navigation point".

But that is the problem : when I tap any place on the route, the point selected is NOT a simple trackpoint ; it is selecting a red circle (empty) ; and the menu associated to this point is NOT proposing a menu "Change to navigation point" : it is more like the menu of a Segment Point (showing a graph + button "Recalculate").

In other words it looks like my route is made only of a succession of segment points, which can't be changed into Navigation points. I remind this route was initially coming from an impoted GPX track ; may be this is the reason why ?? I feel lost anyway... :-)
  •