[Theme] OS Map

Started by karlchick, May 29, 2020, 17:45:48

twoten

Quote from: john_percy on January 16, 2022, 15:14:03
Have you selected Dynamic Scale in the theme's style menu?
Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
I missed thatsetting. Thanks for the help.
  •  

karlchick

As John kindly pointed out quicker than me, there are three overlay themes in both day and night themes, one for 25k, 50k and dynamic - which you have discovered will change automatically to 50k as you zoom out to Z15 and back to 25k as you zoom in to Z16.

I am working on an update to improve v5 OAM map support, e.g. route names need update  It is looking like I can keep v4 and v5 map theme in one file so far... also some improvements to the diamonds on walking routes to make them less intrusive and spaced more similar to OS maps.

I'm also thinking about adding all the missing non-OS amenities, e.g. shops, cafes etc as a non-OS amenities option...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

twoten

Thanks Karlchick,
If I use the dynamic setting the beer glass symbol displays as I wanted but when zooming ok the map doesn't display the "PH" abbreviation. If I set the map to just 1:50k the PH displays when zoomed in but again, not, when zoomed out to1:50k.
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: twoten on January 17, 2022, 11:32:37
If I use the dynamic setting the beer glass symbol displays as I wanted but when zooming ok the map doesn't display the "PH" abbreviation. If I set the map to just 1:50k the PH displays when zoomed in but again, not, when zoomed out to1:50k.

Yes, this is because all elements in the map only appear at a predefined zoom level and not before. This will depend on the map creator and the settings they used. For example with the latest OAM v5 maps bars and pubs appear at zoom level 17. They will disappear at zoom level 16 and lower, regardless of what the theme is defined to do.

You can usually find a file called tagmapping.xml where you download your maps from and this defines the "rules" for when certain items will be visible. The theme can also restrict when they appear too. Here is the entries for OAM v5 tagmapping.xml that affect the pub symbols in OS map theme:
   <osm-tag key='amenity' value='pub' zoom-appear='17' />
   <osm-tag key='amenity' value='bar' zoom-appear='17' />

For OS-Dynamic, the map theme uses the following zoom levels for both styles:
   - OS-50k for Z15 and below
   - OS-25K for Z16 and above

So what you have observed seems correct, if a bit annoying.
Personally I would like pubs to be visible much earlier. They appear at Z16 in LoMaps...
Hope that helps.
DiscussDownload

TeresaMiller

•  

geoffmozz

Good work :-) I'd like to try this theme in Locus Map 4 with OpenAndroMaps etc

Is that possible? If so, how?

I'm on Android version 12.
  •  

karlchick

The theme works fine with all versions of LM. You have to "install" manually, as per instructions in the forum/help.

The current public releases of OS Map theme work with lomaps and openandromaps versions v3 (discontinued) and v4. They will also largely work with v5 OAM, mainly the hike/bike routes names are affected.

I will be releasing an update to fix these issues and add some additional improvements, but not ready for public release yet.
DiscussDownload
  •  

Jethro10

Hi, I'm all new to this, and this theme saved me from giving up on Locus.

I may have found an error, may not, no idea really what I'm doing yet.. Using the OSM node in the link as an example, it looks like you display Adits as Mines but not Shafts as mines. The adits around here show, but not the shaft.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5214161855

Thanks
Jeff
  •  

karlchick

Thanks Jeff, you are correct and mineshaft is missing from the theme. I guess you using a lomap map as oam do not currently support mineshaft tags, only adits.

I suspect this is why it is missing, I added adits for oam (v4/v5) maps first and then updated the v3 map theme.

I'll include mineshafts in the next release. I might also request adding mineshaft to OAM maps too, there are over 10,000 tagged worldwide.

I'm still working on the update for v4/v5 map theme and will also roll back the improvements made to the v3 map theme. Once the v4 updated theme is ready/available, you might want to consider switching to using OAM maps as they have a lot more information in them and are getting rendered closer to OS maps now than lomaps... except for mineshafts, of course.
DiscussDownload
  •  

Jethro10

Quote from: karlchick on May 08, 2022, 19:31:48
Thanks Jeff, you are correct and mineshaft is missing from the theme. I guess you using a lomap map as oam do not currently support mineshaft tags, only adits.

I suspect this is why it is missing, I added adits for oam (v4/v5) maps first and then updated the v3 map theme.

I'll include mineshafts in the next release. I might also request adding mineshaft to OAM maps too, there are over 10,000 tagged worldwide.

I'm still working on the update for v4/v5 map theme and will also roll back the improvements made to the v3 map theme. Once the v4 updated theme is ready/available, you might want to consider switching to using OAM maps as they have a lot more information in them and are getting rendered closer to OS maps now than lomaps... except for mineshafts, of course.

Thanks
I just be getting better, I actually understood some of that!

Jeff
  •  

Jethro10

I may have found another. Natural=Saddle tag isn't displaying but does on OS maps.
In general are you trying to replicate the look of OS maps but with other things on it, or an accurate facsimile of the dataset of OS maps?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4859334903

Jeff
  •  

karlchick

Generally I am trying to emulate the look and feel of OS maps with this theme. It will be impossible to exactly match OS maps, since not all features of OS maps are supported by either the source data (OpenStreetMap) or the map creators (e.g. LoMap and OpenAndroMaps).

There is also a difference in how map features are used by the map creators, this is defined by a tag-mapping file. Only the tags in the tag-mapping files can be drawn...

OSM maps include a lot more content than OS maps, and I have added options in the theme to allow displaying addition non-OS content, e.g. Post boxes, hedges etc.

In general I have tried to create similar icons and symbology for non-OS content that are hopefully in keeping with the style of the original OS maps.

I'll take a look at Saddles too. Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated. I am working on a massive improvement to the rendering, starting with the v4 theme that mainly supports OAM maps, including v5 maps now.  I'll then be looking to update the LM/v3 map theme...
DiscussDownload

Jethro10

Ok, thanks.
Following that fairly well.
A few questions so I can do more myself without bothering you as much.
How do you handle a point with multiple values that may conflict your graphical representation.
This example may not be relevant but a mountain peak is Natural=Peak, but a lot of peaks, if they have the OS survey trig columns have a second tag Man_made = survey_point. I disagree a point can be both natural and man made at the same time but if you happened to see both, what happens?

Is this the tag cross reference file I need to look at to see if an item exists? if not you can't display it? Stops me bothering you as much....
https://www.openandromaps.org/en/map-basics-2/tag-mapping

Is it reasonable for me to request items to be added to Open Andromaps? if so, do you know where I'd ask?

Finally, if I unzip your theme, eg. an svg called weir.svg matches the xml tag waterway=weir and the zoom level it appears at. Patterns for Areas rather than points.
Is that basically how it works?

I'm very much a rural user in the mountains and fells so don't look at towns or roads a lot, and there's only a few things I miss that generally offer good landmarks for navigation

Thanks Jeff

•  

karlchick

Hi Jeff,

You are correct, the European tag mapping file defines which information from OSM is in the OAM maps and at which zoom level they can first appear. Some of the tags are renamed for various reasons too.

If there are multiple points/nodes to display then they drawn based on the display and priority options, or the order they appear in the theme file. Order is quite important, and sometimes a compromise has to be made, often transparent fills are used to deal with hidden/layerred items, but this is difficult when emulating the OS map theme.

You can request additional items via the OAM forum;

https://www.openandromaps.org/en/oam-forums/forum/maps

You'll see I've requested some things, but not all requests will be accepted, especially if they do not meet the purpose of OAM maps, which is primarily for walking/cycling. Also there is a 15 tags limit per osm item (node/way/area) which if violated causes the whole tile to not be drawn.

If there are any items in the tag mapping that are not in my theme, please let me know and I'll do my best to include them in a future release.

I am planning to rework the summits in a similar fashion to the OutdoorV5 theme which makes summits visible based on their prominence and zoom level. But first I have to formalise all the v5 and tidal features improvements I have prototyped...

Note, some background info: I have two master theme files, one for locusmap/v3 maps and one for OAM v4/5 maps. Each defines both the night and day themes, to make it easier to work on both at the same.e time, but are very large and hence slow to use. So when I release a theme I have a script that splits the day and night parts into separate theme files. Resulting in the four theme files you are looking at.
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Jethro10

Jethro10

I've come across another if you think it's ok, that generally gives me landmarks for walking that exists in the XML file

amenity=hunting_stand which to us in the uk is almost exclusively a Grouse Butt.

Thanks Jeff

•  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick