[Theme] OS Map (v20200427 for v3 maps only)

Started by karlchick, April 19, 2020, 01:38:58

karlchick

Having used UK Ordnance Survey (OS) maps all my life, when I started using Locus Map I was desperate for a map theme that looked similar. After using both Voluntary UK and OS Style themes for a while, I still hankered after something closer to the style of the original UK OS maps. So I decided to create my own theme that tries to emulate the Ordnance Survey 1:25k and 1:50k map styles as closely as is possible within the constraints of Locus Map and data provided by the vector maps. It should work with both LoMap and OAM maps. I must give credit to John Campbell for his Voluntary UK theme that I used as a starting point (v. 190101).

There are 6 maps styles provided in the theme:

• Explorer 1:25k
  • Landranger 1:50k
  • Dynamic Scale
  • Night Mode 1:25k
  • Night Mode 1:50k
  • Night Mode Dynamic
Dynamic Scale automatically switches from 50k to 25k at zoom level 16.
Night Modes provide a darker colour scheme for night usage that preserve the OS colour, but muted a bit. I don't like the built in night mode as it inverts all the colours.

There are also several overlay options:

• non-OS  symbols
  • non-OS road furniture
  • demanding paths
  • hiking routes, national
  • hiking routes, local
  • emphasise hiking routes
  • cycling routes, national
  • cycling routes, local
  • emphasise cycle routes
  • fill in residential areas
  • grow 50k buildings into town masses
  • emphasise land access
  • OS style road labels
  • level road labels
  • boxed road labels
I used google translate to define the translations, so let me know if there are more appropriate translations.

I also created PDF legends for the 25k and 50k themes to show what is supported/different using a similar style to the original OS legends with screenshots from Locus Map and the theme's own symbols etc.

Last attachment is a ZIP of the theme. (now with .nomedia files, thanks Henk van der Spek for pointing that out).

Install in the usual way of unzipping in Locus Map's _theme folder, e.g.:

\<root>\Android\data\menion.android.locus.pro\files\Locus\mapsVector\_themes

I've only tried this on my phone (Samsung Galaxy A3) and tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014). It is quite a big theme file now (~10,000 lines)  because it contains so many different categories and overlay options. I am interested to know if it works OK for everyone. I have considered creating a "lite" 25k only option to see it is works faster or not...

I am putting this theme out there as I feel it might be of interest to others. It is provided as is.
I am not inclined to spend a lot of time working on it, but you are welcome to modify it for your own purposes.

Let me know if there some major problems with the theme.

Here is a comparison of the same map rendered with: Internal Theme, Voluntary UK, OS Style and my new 4 OS map styles (also attached as ThemePreviews_LORES.jpg but lower resolution):

USE SCROLL BAR TO VIEW THE REST >>>>

UPDATE 2020.04.27
I have fixed:
   - couple of  mistakes in the legends
   - added to the legends some additional overlay footer notes.
   - country borders to include admin_levels 2, 3 and 4 now.
   - rounded locks in rivers now square
   - some syntax errors I found during porting to v4 (which is now about 50% completed).

I've updated the attachments with new versions, hence their counters are reset.
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload

Henk van der Spek

Hi Karl,

I would love to test it but it seems not compatible with the V4 ML maps from openandromaps.org that I mostly use.
I checked it out on an older map V3 map from another country (where I can not go to now) and it looks very promising.
Let me know of this can be fixed and I will be happy to give you moere feedback, because we still can hike at home.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on April 19, 2020, 08:42:09
I would love to test it but it seems not compatible with the V4 ML maps from openandromaps.org that I mostly use.
Hi Henk, I thought I am using it with all the UK v4 OAM maps without issue (but I think I have v3 maps). Can you provide me link to the download for the map you can't use?
Thanks Karl
DiscussDownload
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Thanks for your answer.
Sure, here it is: https://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads/europe
And when I am viewing a V4 map your theme is not shown in the theme selection.
When I open a V3 map and select your theme all shows good. But then I pan to my own V4 region and the map is empty (not shown). Even after selecting that map by hand.
  •  

poutnikl

It looks like very fine theme, but I confirm for OAM Austria ML map v4 from July 3,  it is not listed among available themes for the map.
Not sure about the new maps provided with Locus compatible POIs DB.

And WOW!! The PDF legends are positively 1A quality !

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Andrew Heard

The theme isn't listed when I display a V4 OpenAndoMap of Tasmania (Australia).

The legend PDF is very nicely presented. I would be SO GOOD if Locus team & other theme providers could provide a legend of this exceptional quality.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

karlchick

Hmm... I'm now wondering if I am actually using v3 maps after all... You are correct, all the v4 maps I tried do not work with OS Map theme.... I've started to look into it, seems v4 maps are handled differently in Locus Map from v3. I looked at how Velocity works for v3 and v4 and I got OS Map to be selectable for v4 maps but it displays nothing so far, seems I need would need create a new theme for v4 maps using different scalings/sizes etc... quite a bit of work.  Note Velocity is supporting v4 with a completely different theme with the same name...

For now I would suggest that this theme is for v3 maps only (I changed the post's title to reflect this too). I will look to see if I can get a v4 version working, but I suspect this may take some time. If anyone has any tips of converting v3 theme to v4 theme I would be glad to hear. Seems the zoom levels are reduced by 2 and line thicknesses are narrower and not using "dp" values...

Update: Found this might be useful: http://www.maiwolf.de/locus/
Update: Also found: https://www.openandromaps.org/en/oam-forums/topic/mapsforge-rendertheme-reference

Karl.
DiscussDownload

Tapio

Oh no  :) Most of us will use V4 maps, they aremuch better especially for text display order reasons. Thanks for your work though.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Nice map theme.  Would it be possible to highlight special bike paths?  See scr.  the cycle path is purple in color.
  •  

Menion

Just to refine @tapio post a little .. "most of us" at the forum, it's possible. By my older stats, it was about 60-70% users use LoMaps (V3), rest use combination of OpenAndroMaps (mainly) + some others.

Appreciate your work, looks pretty nice! If you would be interested to put it into Locus Store for direct download over the app, just let me know, @voldapet will help with it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Henk van der Spek

@Žajdlík Josef: offcourse you saw the settings in the theme for highlighting?
For me I am also missing the names of the hiking trails like E3 and GR5.
And also please put a .nomedia  file in your directories :) otherwise my Gallery App is flooded.  :)
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

The accentuation will be felt on all cycle routes, not just on roads specially built for cyclists.
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on April 19, 2020, 19:33:29
For me I am also missing the names of the hiking trails like E3 and GR5.
And also please put a .nomedia  file in your directories :) otherwise my Gallery App is flooded.  :)

I've replaced the theme with an updated version that now contains .nomedia files. I had them in there originally, but got over zealous deleting unused files before posting.

The hiking trails by default do not display their name labels (CW) but rather their full textual names (Cotswold Way). This is to be as compliant with Ordnance Survey's own maps. I have noticed that most non-LoMaps do not support this full name text of hiking trails, so I have included support for displaying the hiking trail labels, these are enabled by selecting the overlay "non-OS symbols" - you'll see in the Legends that all the non-OS symbols have a little 'cross' symbol next to them and a foot-note that tells you which overlay option selects them.

Hope that helps, Karl.
DiscussDownload

karlchick

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on April 19, 2020, 19:45:59
The accentuation will be felt on all cycle routes, not just on roads specially built for cyclists.

Hi Žajdlík Josef, which theme are you using that highlights cycle routes differently for roads vs off-road routes?  I was trying to figure out a way to differentiate between them because OS maps use a different symbol for non-traffic routes, but I couldn't figure out any way of doing it.

Having said that, in your example the cycle track is not on the road... so perhaps it is just the surface type...   The highlighting scheme was kept from the original Voluntary UK theme...
Karl.
DiscussDownload
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

I use Pawscyclist from the link below, but the Locus theme also shows the difference.
https://osm.paws.cz/render_themes.php
Sorry, my English is not very good.  These are special trails that cyclists can ride but no cars.  For cyclists on road bikes, these trails are important because they always have a solid base.
  •