Locus vs. BRouter, path confusion

Started by Tapio, April 09, 2020, 08:02:46

Tapio

Hi,

after there has been path changes to BRouter some while ago, I am still struggling with the profiles2 folders. I have them at 2 places:

a)/storage/emulated/0/brouter/profiles2/
b) /storage/sd_ext/Android/data/btools.routingapp/files/brouter/profiles2

- If I delete a), Locus does not list the contents pf profiles2
- If I delete b), those profiles are listed. But it cannot calculate the route, an orange error message appears (missing data)

So, I need both. Why is this?

It is set to "Locus profiles", because otherwise I cannot manage profiles from within Locus. TBH I do not understand the other option "Brouter profiles", where everything is grayed out. AFAICS I should use the Brouter app then, which seems weird.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

john_percy

You are correct, the set up is incredibly confusing now, due largely to Android security restrictions.
I also now have two folders of profiles. As I understand it:
- in Locus mode Locus can access its own internal Brouter profiles plus the ones in /brouter/profiles2. It then communicates with Brouter via an api and Brouter then writes a copy of the selected profile into _its_ system data folder (Android/data...) under the name of remote.brf and uses this to calculate a route.
- in Brouter mode, Locus relies entirely on Brouter and the settings in Locus cannot be used and are greyed out. Brouter accesses its own system folder directly and uses either its default profile/mode mapping or the one you can set up yourself in the Brouter app. So, this uses the Android/data... folder. As far as I can see this way of doing things has little to commend it now and is largely historic.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Tapio

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. So now what I did was, I deleted all *.brf in /storage/sd_ext/Android/data/btools.routingapp/files/brouter/profiles2

Which now leaves a less confusing state for me.
  •  

Menion

Using of profiles included in BRouter is older method. The main reason was that some people used the same profiles for OsmAnd and Locus, anyway for me, settings at the top of the "BRouter settings" screen (to use BRouter internal profiles) should be removed.

What I may suggest is to place own profiles in Locus/data/brouter directory  ;). Give it a try, it should work. Then is no need for profiles included in BRouter itself and all is under full control of Locus Map.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Tapio

Quote from: menion on April 10, 2020, 14:21:27What I may suggest is to place own profiles in Locus/data/brouter directory  ;). Give it a try, it should work. Then is no need for profiles included in BRouter itself and all is under full control of Locus Map.
It works and is definitely better now. I put some hand picked brf files there. You could please add data/brouter to the backup, as you know brfs are valuable for some of us, and they are small.
  •  

poutnikl

For completeness, here are my bicycle and foot profiles, locally generated, named and packed in Android by Linux/bash script sedbatch (my GitHub repo) in termux Linux console.

Skilled users can do it any time to fetch up-to-date profiles, as the script is able to pull profile templates master and develop branches from my GitHub repository.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e9072dd6f74e/BR-Bike-Profiles-develop-locus.zip

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e9072e94e6a4/BR-Bike-Profiles-master-locus.zip

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e907319904c2/BR-Foot-Profiles-master-locus.zip

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on April 10, 2020, 14:21:27
What I may suggest is to place own profiles in Locus/data/brouter directory  ;). Give it a try, it should work. Then is no need for profiles included in BRouter itself and all is under full control of Locus Map.
@menion - 3.44.3.3 BETA - I moved all brouter/profiles2/*.brf files to Locus/data/brouter but now in Locus settings > Navigation > data source > BRouter profiles - only 5 default (fast, short etc.) profiles are displayed, all disabled. I then moved all *.BRF back to brouter/profiles2 & same issue. I then checked with 3.44.3 PRO - all my BRouter profiles are recognised & can edit them.
LM4.23.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Don't you only have enabled BRouter option (toggle button) at the top of BRouter settings dialog?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

yes, I tried both toggle button positions
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on April 13, 2020, 01:40:18yes, I tried both toggle button positions
I currently have the Alpha installed, Locus\data\brouter method works there as well as in stable.
EDIT: OK, also works in Beta.

@Andrew, are you sure you just didn't put them into the BETAs data-folder? I hate to ask ;-)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: tapio on April 14, 2020, 09:14:49
I currently have the Alpha installed, Locus\data\brouter method works there as well as in stable.
EDIT: OK, also works in Beta.

@Andrew, are you sure you just didn't put them into the BETAs data-folder? I hate to ask ;-)
thanks for the reply @tapio & thanks for asking - BETAs data-folder? Same folder as PRO?

Instead of Locus/data/brouter I have now moved all brouter/profiles2/*.brf files to Locus/data/brouter/profiles2 & that seems to have worked. Is that the intention?
  •  

john_percy

I have my *.brf files in Locus/data/brouter/ and they work there for both Pro and beta.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: PeterSpunkt

poutnikl

I have in Android 10 the BRouter folder in the root of internal storage, same as the Locus one. I have never noticed any access problem to Brouter profiles in Brouter/profiles2, especially with BRouter API10 accessing Locus points in the opposite direction.

Be aware Android uses a Linux file system with case sensitive names, what is a frequent issue if a Windows user writes names carelessly.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Andrew Heard

Quote from: john_percy on April 15, 2020, 09:39:59
I have my *.brf files in Locus/data/brouter/ and they work there for both Pro and beta.

I can't explain it. Weird.
  •