Menion

Important links
- this time without a blogpost
- list of news of public versions

Versions
9. 1. 2020 - Locus 3.43.0
14. 1. 2020 - Locus 3.43.1
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

The display of the Locus startup icon on an Android 5 tablet is still poor.  See Scr
  •  

Menion

Wait you see it like this, like a full-screen icon? Heh, :D ... it should be a small icon in the middle of the screen. What Android version is your tablet? I'll check it, thanks.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Tablet Alcatel Pixi, Android 5.01.  The display is OK on your Android 8 phone.
  •  

zossebart

I also see the big scaled icon (Android 5.1.1).

Btw: you forgot to mention the navigation started/stopped intent notifications in the releasenotes. But they are there and working fine, thanks!

Gesendet von meinem D5503 mit Tapatalk

•  

lor74cas

Hello,
take a look at the image, 5 notification for Locus if we use add-on. Is there any chance to group them in future versions?

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

slarti76

First start on Moto G5 (rather slow older phone):
GUI appeared with all buttons and blank (white) map screen, then it took ca. 10s before the "Initializing Locus" progress dialog showed up. I already thought Locus crashed.
That dialog should really open asap in order to not confuse user.
  •  

Menion

@Žajdlík Josef
hmm so it seems to be bug on Android 5.0 so thanks, this start logo removed from this Android version.

@zossebart
forget mentioned tool is intent in this case. I'm a) still not sure if this is a really useful method and b) I believe it needs few more parameters, not just related to navigation but at least for track recording.

@lor74cas
heh ... it's quite extreme in your case. Garmin & Geoching4Locus are not inside in Locus Map, so there is no chance. Rest ... it is complicated. Every "big service" needs own notification that say user that it's running and consume device resources. Since Android 7 or 8 (not sure now) you may specificy in the app system settings, which notifications will be visible (as on attached screenshot) so you may remove them over this tool.

@slarti76
I can't imagine it display sooner. G5 is not so old so 10 seconds is way too much. The same delay is in all other app starts or just for the first time? Weird, anyway really can't imagine why this happens and how to speed up. In the first moment, Locus notice that UI is visible, it displays loading dialog.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

slarti76

Quote from: menion on January 13, 2020, 12:02:58
@slarti76
I can't imagine it display sooner. G5 is not so old so 10 seconds is way too much. The same delay is in all other app starts or just for the first time? Weird, anyway really can't imagine why this happens and how to speed up. In the first moment, Locus notice that UI is visible, it displays loading dialog.
Tried it again after closing Locus with swipe from the task switcher:

• Blank screen with centered Locus icon for like 2s.
  • Locus UI with all buttons and blank map for 10s
  • Map appears, Locus is usable
This time, the "Initializing" dialog didn't appear at all, but that seems to be normal if Locus wasn't killed completely. I tried to, but in the "App info", the "Force Stop" button is greyed out.
When I close Locus with Double-Back from within the app, startup is much faster, no blank map.
Still, didn't see the Initializing dialog again since I updated. Would probably appear again after a reboot, I assume.
  •  

Menion

This init dialog is visible only when it's needed. It may be during the first run in case, you have any (for the app) unknown maps or later in the case, there is a lot of points/tracks that need to be loaded on the map.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on January 13, 2020, 13:05:42
This init dialog is visible only when it's needed. It may be during the first run in case, you have any (for the app) unknown maps or later in the case, there is a lot of points/tracks that need to be loaded on the map.
Cannot really be the reason. As I said, I can reproduce the lag every time. Can't say if it's new in this very release, but I'm sure the problem is "newish" - I was on a longer holiday in Nov/Dec and don't remember anything like that. Didn't update during that time, to be on the safe side, so can't say which version I used all the time.
  •  

zossebart

Quote from: menion on January 13, 2020, 12:02:58
@zossebart
forget mentioned tool is intent in this case. I'm a) still not sure if this is a really useful method and b) I believe it needs few more parameters, not just related to navigation but at least for track recording.

I find it very useful ;-) Please don't remove it again. Maybe implement it as opt-in via expert settings or config.cfg?
And more parameters would be great, of course!
  •  

Menion

No worry, I do not plan to remove it ... just my head needs some time to validate that it is a good perspective method on how to do it. But yes, most probably I'll add few more parameters over time and tell Michal to wrote some blog post about it :).

Žajdlík Josef

In the latest PRO version, a white screen is displayed instead of the logo at startup.  It's worse than the blurred logo, because it makes the program seem to hang.  It would take at least a small text, like: Locus is starting.  Tablet, Android 5.01.
  •  

Menion

It should be the same as it was before. Before I tested this small logo at the start, you've most probably also seen just a white screen for a moment, or not? I'll have to try it ...
  •