Beep on GPS signal LOST

Started by elmuSSo, June 07, 2011, 13:36:03

elmuSSo

Sometimes im losing my signal and Im not aware of that. I'm thinking that my track is still being recorded, but it's not and Im discovering that when Im trying to save my track and there is almost nothing to save:( If there will be some beep when the signal is lost, I would be able to take a phone closer to the window or take if from a bag to increase the chance of finding a signal. BTW, beep on GPS signal found is really great!
  •  

elmuSSo

Im still experiencing big pain with lack of this feature:( I lost the signal so many times and I never had occasion to help the device with finding it. Sometimes when Im in aircraft, every second of lost signal means kilometers of lost track logging.

Maybe it would be great to introduce also the periodical beep every X seconds when the track is being recorded, and the signal is lost.
  •  

Menion

added ... check next version
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

wvb

Interesting feature!
Thanks for adding it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

packham

Quote from: "menion"added ... check next version

Hi menion,  I just downloaded you newest pro version (v1.10.0) from the market. I think there's a bug in this version. I always enable the beep sound when the app gets the GPS fix. But now I'm hearing the beep sounds almost constantly. The reported accuracy seems to drop whenever I hear the beep sound. When I look at the live logcat, I seems that the beep sound will come whenever I see the following lines in logcat.

D/gps_leo (  704): gps_inject_location() is called
D/gps_leo (  704): latitude=xx.xxxx, longitude=xx.xxxx, accuracy=50.000000

I have gone back to my previous version (v1.9.7) and I now don't have such problem. It beeps on the first fix and stays quiet while having the fix, indicating that my GPS is locking the signal fine. Maybe you could have another look at the beep-related code?
  •  

elmuSSo

Hi. I can't see any configurability for this feature. I can only hear double-beep which is almost identical as beep on fix sound. Please make some nice options for these features like:
- use custom sound instead of beep
- beep once or beep every x seconds, when signal is still lost (one beep not always can be heard when there is a noise around you)

Sent from my HTC Vision using  Tapatalk
  •  

elmuSSo

What would You say, menion?

Tapatalk@CyanogenMod@HTCVision
  •  

elmuSSo

Nobody interested?

•  

GOF007

Be able to select custom sound (like ringtone, notification~~~) would be nice.
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "GOF007"Be able to select custom sound (like ringtone, notification~~~) would be nice.

Yes that would be fine.
But a option to disable too.
BTW if I have checked silent modus on my LG-P970 I can hear the Locus sounds nevertheless :-(
I visited a church and Locus beeped because of GPS signal lost.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

joeloc

"GPS signal lost" is quite an important alert. It can sometimes mean the difference between life and death to have a proper track recording. Imagine backtracking on a glacier in a sudden whiteout: Too bad if your smartphone lost the signal somewhere on the way up and you didnt notice because it was stuffed away safely in your backpack.

Therefore, I suggest an option:

#  repeat GPS Signal Lost Alert when recording a track.

When enabled and Locus is recording a track, you would repeat the alert sound every 30s or so. The alert should also play btw, when you do still have a signal but it's worse than the configured minimum accuracy.
  •  

elmuSSo

Yes. Finally somebody feel the same need as me. Thanks guys. I was wondering, that maybe Im the only one who really needs this option. I will tell you something. Track recording is the main option I use in Locus. Im addicted of doing that, and I hate when I lost my signal and I didn't know about that.

Quote from: "joeloc""GPS signal lost" is quite an important alert. It can sometimes mean the difference between life and death to have a proper track recording. Imagine backtracking on a glacier in a sudden whiteout: Too bad if your smartphone lost the signal somewhere on the way up and you didnt notice because it was stuffed away safely in your backpack.
Therefore, I suggest an option:

#  repeat GPS Signal Lost Alert when recording a track.

When enabled and Locus is recording a track, you would repeat the alert sound every 30s or so. The alert should also play btw, when you do still have a signal but it's worse than the configured minimum accuracy.

Yup. I also suggested that a few posts above:
Quote from: "elmuSSo"- beep once or beep every x seconds, when signal is still lost (one beep not always can be heard when there is a noise around you)
  •  

elmuSSo

I was just now on a 5 days long trip in mountains. I lost my signal about 12 times. My tracks have a big holes in them. Holes with lost kilometers and lost altitude changes (hiking). If I would be alarmed earlier, I would have the chance to force the gps fix after a few metres, and not kilometres.

Menion, please. Add some proper GPS-lost alarms. I know you are focused on more important things, but this one is critical for me and other people addictively recording their tracks. Prosim.

•  

Menion

ok ...

new settings dialog ready for test (I'll add during day new testing version here on forum)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

elmuSSo

Thank you!

•