Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

poutnikl

Quote from: Menion on October 27, 2020, 12:01:12
... Currently, I'm working with Radim on our own BRouter data generator that will be integrated directly into the app, probably in a similar way to downloading elevation HGT files. ...

Will it include incremental updates similarly as  the Brouter app does ? ( or my Android termux Linux bash script for power users, calling BRouter  as java application brouter.jar  for the processing of the downloaded incremental download   )

(If the prior square update is not older than 7 days, incremental update downloads typically just 2-5% of the full size, very useful e.g. for frequent/daily updates of home square a/o neighbourhood, especially for data limited cases. )

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Menion

We are just working on it last few days. Right now I'm running benchmarks to detect the optimal age of diffs & time needed to perform merge on the client-side. So yes, it will be integrated and the question is only how old diff files will make sense for us. Testing up to three months old ... will see.

Current idea is to generate new routing data once per week, keeping diff files for 2 - 3 months, and allow fully automatic updates on the client-side with a define check period from 1 - 8(12) weeks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

poutnikl

As far as I known from the client side experience, Arndt probably chose good time threshold 7 days, having updates daily 1-7 days old.

As on client side, processing of older incremental data can be  slower than downloading the full file even at throttled speed of BRouter application.( even on Xiaomi MI A2 6 GB RAM and 8 cores.)

But this processing speed issue is rather inconvenience  solely of the BRouter application, than must be running foreground with display on. ( my script can run on background )

The server side optimum may be a different case, though.

I suppose there will be nonWiFi download limitation/warning.

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on October 27, 2020, 12:01:12
@slarti76
I'm not aware of any problem with the auto-save feature. Only how this may happen is that you have an active different profile at the moment of the save operation. It is important to keep in mind, that profile may be changed during recording (manually of for example over "Presets").
First of all, I should've posted this into the normal thread, it's not LM4-specific. But I think you already presumed that.
Anyway, what I do is that I send two intents with Tasker, first to stop recording, then to change preset to my Default. Is it perhaps possible the preset intent is executed in parallel, not sequentially, and is faster than the saving? Then sometimes or perhaps even always the saving would already use the changed values from the Default preset.
  •  

Menion

@poutnikl
thanks for the feedback. As I wrote, we are just doing some benchmarks to find an optimal compromise. Because download and merge will work in the background, time spend on merging is not critical like in the BRouter app. I personally prefer to download less data & spend a little more time by merging than the opposite.

@slarti76
Ah fine, this is the case. Yes, it is possible ... well it happens for sure. Saving of track is an async task and takes some time till all is set for "saving". Compare to this, a change of preset is applied immediately.
Hmm, interesting problem ...
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on October 28, 2020, 08:15:05
@slarti76
Ah fine, this is the case. Yes, it is possible ... well it happens for sure. Saving of track is an async task and takes some time till all is set for "saving". Compare to this, a change of preset is applied immediately.
Hmm, interesting problem ...
Nevermind, now that I know that I can adjust my Tasker task and add a wait of say 10s before I set the profile - no prob. Just happy to know what went wrong there :)
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Menion on October 28, 2020, 08:15:05
@poutnikl
... I personally prefer to download less data & spend a little more time by merging than the opposite.

I cannot agree more.

Tapio

Quote from: Menion on October 27, 2020, 12:01:12Distance along active route: very wanted task, I know. Doable with a new LM4 point screen. Remind me this once LM4 will be out and I'll return from at least a 14-day vacation  ;D, thanks.
Thanks, will definitely do.
As for your assumptions on Recording profile, Preset usage etc., you were totally correct, the cause were misconfigured presets + it was a lack of organisation/order on my (Tasker + sent Intents) on my end.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

jonny.blue

I finished geocaching part of the new point screen

8) ;)
  •  

Menion

New version 3.49.0.2 with all available LM4 stuff (inner router, sync, ...) available for test (link in the first post).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

freischneider

I really like geocaching points screen. Thanks for the great work.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

freischneider

I have a few more suggestions:
Favorites: if there are no favorites, leave the heart gray. When favorites are there, make the heart blue.

In the case of properties, I like that when I click on the symbol, an explanation comes up.
That could also happen with difficulty and terrain. Although this is already very common and that would only be an improvement with little added value.
But it's different when it comes to size. Cachers who rarely search often do not know what is behind size 1 or 2. An explanation when clicking on it would often be helpful here.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

balloni55

QuoteMeantime I finished geocaching part of the new point screen
thanks, so we can test the functionality ;)
first use on sofa,
i miss:
- add waypoints and waxypoint projection
- update cache a nd load loggs

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Thanks for testing!!

Explanations for size/diff, good point, thanks.

What I'm currently not sure how to solve is some info that "trackables" and "waypoints"  are important clickable buttons.

Also small warning ... all should work except managing of waypoints! It is a little more complex. Also in point should be a button (in the bottom toolbar) called "Old screen" with an option to display old screen from public version ... just to compare functionality or in case, you will need to work with waypoints.

@balloni55
update cache and logs is feature of Geocaching4Locus and it is visible on the same place as before: under "Share" button. not ideal name for features from add-ons, but in first step > same as before ;)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

balloni55

Quoteupdate cache and logs is feature of Geocaching4Locus and it is visible on the same place as before: under "Share" button. not ideal name for features from add-ons, but in first step > same as before
ok :-[

for mysteries it would be very useful to see the coordinates at the beginning of this window and be able to change them from there without additional clicks.

clickabel words (Logs, Trackables, Waypoints) should be bold or other colored, clickable area for Logs should be bigger not only the "arrow right"

option to view the complete listing without a additional click on "more"

switching between the listing description at "guide on" a multi waypoint and vice versa is very cumbersome.
many owners describe the task in the listing much more precisely than in the corresponding waypoint, therefore a simple switch is necessary
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •