Author Topic: Locus Map 4, discussion  (Read 27388 times)

Offline Žajdlík Josef

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Xperia M, Alcatel One Touch II, Samsung A3 (2017)
Re: Locus Map 4, discussion
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2020, 14:12:56 »
Would it not be possible to divide Locus databases into several parts according to data folders? Personally, I store data in folders according to dates. I look at old data only occasionally, and loading the entire data file (800 Mb) unnecessarily burdens Locus. It would also solve the synchronization, because the data files would be much smaller.

CZ: Nebylo by možné databáze Locusu rozdělit do více částí podle složek s daty? Osobně si ukládám data do složek podle letopočtů. Do starých dat se dívam jen ojediněle, a načítání celého datového souboru (800 Mb) zbytečně zatěžuje Locus. Vyřešilo by to i synchronizaci, protože by datové soubory byly mnohem menší.

Offline slarti76

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: S9, XCover 4s - Galaxy Tab S5e & S2 9.7
« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2020, 16:37:25 »
Would it not be possible to divide Locus databases into several parts according to data folders? Personally, I store data in folders according to dates. I look at old data only occasionally, and loading the entire data file (800 Mb) unnecessarily burdens Locus. It would also solve the synchronization, because the data files would be much smaller.
As I wrote above, I also would like to see folder-based sync. But I think that has to be done on DB-level - a file-based approach has all kinds of inherent problems, eg. what happens if you rename an existing database? If you rename the file also, it's hard to sync the correct db on the other side. If not, you run into problems if you create a new folder with the old name. And so on.
No, I assume if we get syncing of DB-parts, it must be done programmatically by the syncing algorithm.

Offline alexs77

• View Profile
  • Device: OnePlus 7
« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2020, 20:51:51 »
I recently installed the latest version from this thread. This morning, when I started Locus, I found that the normal (non pro) version from the store had been installed (or "updated"?).

How can I prevent that from happening? I'd like to stay on the Locus Map 4 version.

Thanks.

Offline balloni55

• Global Moderator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung XCover 4s Android 10
« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2020, 21:06:02 »
How can I prevent that from happening? I'd like to stay on the Locus Map 4 version.
open playstore/my apps > open LM FREE/ 3-dot top right/ disable " Enable auto-update"

thats my solution
Wolfgang
Locus PRO 3.48.2

Offline alexs77

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2020, 21:09:04 »
open playstore/my apps > open LM FREE/ 3-dot top right/ disable " Enable auto-update"

thats my solution
Wolfgang
of course

thanks a lot.

but…

it still shows up in the list of apps that can be updated in play store. and when I push the "Update All" button, it would "update" it as well. So — no, this won't work for me 😭

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 21:13:07 by alexs77 »

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy A5 Oreo/8, Lenovo Note 4 Nougat/7.1
« Reply #485 on: July 25, 2020, 00:15:08 »
LM4 & LM3-free both share the same app ID (for better or worse). You can only have one or the other installed, not both. Your choice.

Offline john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: MotoG
« Reply #486 on: July 25, 2020, 06:14:11 »
As far as I can see, the fact that they share the same id means that Google play store offers you updated versions of lm3free if you have lm4 alpha.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Offline alexs77

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 25, 2020, 08:11:15 »
LM4 & LM3-free both share the same app ID (for better or worse). You can only have one or the other installed, not both. Your choice.
yes, that's true. I don't want LM3 and I want Google Play Store to leave the LM4 alone. But as the id is identical and as the version number of LM4 is lower than the one of LM3, Play Store will "update".

there is no choice for the user, sadly.

Devs, could you release a new version of LM4 with a higher version number? Something like 3.50, or so? That would be great

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy A5 Oreo/8, Lenovo Note 4 Nougat/7.1
« Reply #488 on: July 25, 2020, 10:08:57 »
as mentioned you can turn off auto updates

in the same way, I only manually update LM3 free when a Beta version is released for testing
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:11:07 by Andrew Heard »

Offline alexs77

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 25, 2020, 10:13:53 »
as mentioned you can turn off auto updates
As mentioned, this won't stop Play Store from updating, when the "Install all updates" button is pushed. And as my phone, for whatever reason, often has a long list of pending updates (at the moment: 14), I kind of have to push that button.

Offline john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: MotoG
« Reply #490 on: July 25, 2020, 10:23:52 »
Does auto update not work on your phone, or do you choose not to use it?

Offline poutnikl

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
    • My Brouter Profiles
  • Device: Xiaomi MI A2 (6G/128G) / A10 / LM3 Pro + LM4 alpha
« Reply #491 on: July 25, 2020, 10:24:41 »
I update manually particular updates only. Different app ID would be nice, but I can live with that .

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Offline alexs77

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 25, 2020, 11:18:41 »
Does auto update not work on your phone, or do you choose not to use it?

it works, most of the time, but every so often gets stuck, it seems. it is enabled.

Offline Menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.asamm.com
  • Device: Pixel 2
« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2020, 19:50:13 »
Creating new version for Google Play with unique ID is currently not possible. It is still not a serious problem as automatic updates may be disabled etc. It will be interesting little later when Locus Map 4 will be officially published and I'll still need somehow provide versions for the testing. We will see ...
Ideas, wishes, problems
Advanced topics, public discussion, sharing of knowledges, testing beta versions: you're here!
Support email: locus.map@asamm.com

Offline slarti76

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: S9, XCover 4s - Galaxy Tab S5e & S2 9.7
« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:04 »
As mentioned, this won't stop Play Store from updating, when the "Install all updates" button is pushed. And as my phone, for whatever reason, often has a long list of pending updates (at the moment: 14), I kind of have to push that button.
Once you press "Install all", an X appears to the right of each app being updated. Simply press the one at LM4 and that's it. That's how I do it in those cases, only needs one additional tap...