Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

Erelen

Please, add coords copy to clipboard by tap (or long tap?) on this row?
  •  

jonny.blue

The geocaching part of the new point screen is definitely not finished.

I know but ... I really would like to have a change when taping a geocache point: then it would be helpful to reach the geocache screen directly and skip the first screen.
This double card is after a time really a little bit annoying.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55

Menion

Hi guys,

I'm trying to invest as much time as possible to sync service and offline BRouter integration, so sorry as it may looks I'm not so active.

Sync service is currently in our internal test and I'm sure that till the end of August, it will be ready for public test. The online version of route planner is also in the active preparation ;)

Anyway what I may share here, is early alpha of better BRouter support.

Alpha version "MapGooglePlay_3.47.2.1_955_beta" ready to install.

It now contains:
- integrated BRouter solution => so it is not needed external app from Google Play. It should be little faster, more user friendly and more flexible for me as a dev to get to some nice features ... later.
For now, I'm trying to achieve same functionality as over separate Google Play app.
All data should be placed into Locus/router directory. Custom profiles under "profiles2", routing data under "segments4". We will offer routing data in similar way like elevation files, but it is not yet ready, sorry.

- online BRouter solution => we will need router also on the web, so it is a testing service, that may come handy, but it is more for playing. For my surprise, even it runs on cheapest possible server, it is twice as fast as my Pixel 2, nice.

- I've removed support for profiles from external Brouter. It helps a lot to simplify UI and prevent huge confusion that this option caused. To use custom profiles with Google Play BRouter app, still use Locus/data/brouter directory. Later I'll merge it to the "internal" solution.

- and last thing I'm playing with. The chart in route planner now displays route surface as colors, when you use internal or online BRouter.

If someone wanna help me with ideal tags & colors, here is current setup.
Every item define my internal name like "asphalt", than current color and then list of OSM tags that this color match. It is based on most used tags, anyway suggestion for category, tags or change of colors are welcome.

asphalt = COLOR_GREY_DARK, asphalt
concrete = COLOR_GREY_MEDIUM, concrete, concrete:plates, concrete:lanes
dirt = COLOR_GREY_LIGHT, dirt
grass = COLOR_GREEN_MEDIUM, grass
gravel = COLOR_GREY_LIGHT, gravel
ground = COLOR_BROWN_MEDIUM, ground
paved = COLOR_GREY_LIGHT, paved
paving_stones = COLOR_GREY_MEDIUM, paving_stones, paving_stones:30, paving_stones:20
unpaved = COLOR_GREY_MEDIUM, unpaved, compacted
undefined = COLOR_RED_MEDIUM

And I'm leaving for a week to test Locus Map in the field, so excuse me please, thanks :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

freischneider

I think the idea with the way surfaces is great. The graphic representation is still a bit confusing. But I can't think of any improvement at the moment.

What do you want outdoors: You want to see where single trails are. And want as few roads as possible.
There is the possibility via the path surface or via the path type (street, track, path)
Komoot lists both, see picture. Idea: display options, route surface or route type in the chart.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

freischneider

Coloring: In the outdoor area, we especially want to highlight the paths, grass paths ... I would highlight these with a special color.
unknown: black, roads and road-like paths: gray tones, paths, grass paths ...: colored tones (red, blue, etc.
Outdooractive goes this way too. See picture in the post before.
  •  

freischneider

Ideas for the future: depending on the activity, the presentation could look different.
A cyclist here has different requirements (road, gravel paths) than a hiker (gravel paths, trails, grass paths) or a mountain biker.
Another idea: with Komoot, I can tap on the path condition in the legend and all sections with this path condition are highlighted in white on the map.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: jonny.blue

poutnikl

Quote from: menion on August 07, 2020, 13:46:11
All data should be placed into Locus/router directory. Custom profiles under "profiles2", routing data under "segments4". .....

..........To use custom profiles with Google Play BRouter app, still use Locus/data/brouter directory.....

I see little confusion about the exact folders.

Should they be
Locus/brouter/segments4
Locus/brouter/profiles2
or
Locus/data/brouter/segments4
Locus/data/brouter/profiles2
?

I have copied segments and profiles to the latter,
installed the latest LM4 alpha,
chose the alpha local BRouter as the default routing service,
set advanced options in Config / Navigation settings....

but the profile list offers the builtin profiles only.

Edit: Or, I have misunderstood the info and there is currently no way for the internal alpha BRouter to use the external profiles. Thats a pity.

Hmm, and what is worse, it has affected the external BRouter as well, only internal profiles are present. I am rollbacking.... :-(

Hmm, hmm, when I rollbacked to prior LM4  and tried to restore the settings ( as I had to uninstall LM4 ) from the backup, it failed. I am doomed for now regarding LM4 :-(  It fails with any recent settings backup from LM4 or LM3.

balloni55

the download of missing routing data is not saved in the folder Locus/router/segments4 as expected...
but in
android/data/btools.rootingapp/files/brouter/segments4
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

poutnikl

It may not be a good idea to keep data in Android/data folder, if other applications need access.

My (internal storage ) data are in Brouter folder.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Menion

Thanks for tips.

@balloni55
the download is still done over the external BRouter app and yes, it stores in its own storage. I wrote that this does not work yet above. We need to set up our own server for a faster download of the data directly over Locus Map (later this month).

@poutnikl
not sure what happen to you and what confuse you :).

Anyway sorry, one small incorrect information. Here is the precise setup:

- BRouter external (BRouter from Google Play)
  - data in the own directory
  - custom profiles are selectable when placed into Locus/data/brouter
- BRouter internal
  - data in Locus/router/segments2
  - settings & profiles are currently shared with BRouter external, later will be custom profiles moved to  Locus/router/profiles2
- BRouter online
  - currently no config

To all ... since Android 11, no app will be able to access data stored in any app Android/data directory. Since 2021, also Locus Map  main directory will have to move into this private Android/data directory so it make sense to keep everything inside this app directory.
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: menion
not sure what happen to you and what confuse you :).

I guess router/* vs data/brouter/* confused me.  :-) It is quite some placement shuffling. Internal BRouter works now, with proper profiles and segment placement.

But the restore issue seems strange.

2 latest LM4 versions fail to restore their own backups of settings,
but 3 months old LM4 version is able to restore backups of versions 2-3 months newer.

I vaguely remember somebody mentioned similar issue recently.

Edit: It has heard me ! Latest LM4 did successfully restored just freshly made its own backup. Strange.

poutnikl

Quote from: menion on August 07, 2020, 18:53:06

To all ... since Android 11, no app will be able to access data stored in any app Android/data directory. Since 2021, also Locus Map  main directory will have to move into this private Android/data directory so it make sense to keep everything inside this app directory.

Does this mean applications will not be able to use explicitly provided folders out of Android folder, ( like BRouter and Locus and many others do for me ) ?

With danger of wiping all data if ( sometimes accidentally ) uninstalled ?

Menion

Exactly ... unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

•  

poutnikl

Kde asi udělali soudruzi z NDR chybu.. ?
( a Czech running joke about design flaws )

How is then solved a legitimate application data sharing ?

poutnikl

Quote from: menion on August 07, 2020, 13:46:11

- and last thing I'm playing with. The chart in route planner now displays route surface as colors, when you use internal or online BRouter.

If someone wanna help me with ideal tags & colors, here is current setup.
Every item define my internal name like "asphalt", than current color and then list of OSM tags that this color match. It is based on most used tags, anyway suggestion for category, tags or change of colors are welcome.

Good idea, it works for me.
It may be good to use it as a filling colour below the graph, instant if the line alone.
Particular colour may be better noticeable.

Be aware many highway=track|path|footway do not have surface= tag, but tracktype=gradeN, N=1..5 to express hard/soft surface ratio. grade1 is usually paved.
It should be used as alternative surface info. They are often together.

See OSM wiki.