[APP] - version 3.42.+ ( 5. 12. 2019 )

Started by Menion, December 05, 2019, 13:54:23

Tapio

Menion, I have map shading with colored elevation in my profiles. After changing profile the map shading does not change. Does change/refresh on zooming map.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

Hmm, I've just created two new presets and set to first to disable shading (and nothing more) and to the second to enable colored shading. And switch between these two presets seems to work fine. No problem with vector or any online map.

Any idea what may cause a problem here? Because I don't have any. May you just double check that both presets have really set shading as you want? Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

balloni55

"automatic enabeling of GPS when start map rotate"
if i next disable GPS, map keep last rotating position and do not point "north up"
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

It's on a discussion. Rotation without centered location does not make too much sense, right? I found myself quite confusing and mainly problematic when during navigation (rotation enabled), I just wanted to move with a map and it still rotated under fingers. So rotation only when centered = ok?

Because of this, centering without GPS does not make sense so rotation without GPS as well (hmm this bring to question, if centering also should not enable GPS).

And now your good point ... completely disable centering when GPS is manually turned off? I just tried Google Maps and it behaves exactly like this ... the screen remains stuck on the last rotated value.

I hope that my monologue help me see clear optimal solution, but it didn't :). What you think?
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

The start-up logo displayed at program startup looks pretty blurry on the big tablet screen. Is there anything you can do about it?
  •  

Menion

Ah, thanks, sure it is, I'll look at it.

Just info: it has absolutely no impact on the start-up time. It is only a replacement for a white screen that was visible before.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on January 04, 2020, 20:04:05
centering without GPS does not make sense
@menion - why doesn't it make sense? My logic - if the compass is working on the GPS/ Compass screen and the map is centered, map rotation should be possible. It is still useful, for example inside when there is no GPS signal.

If I drag the map while the Rotate map button is blue/ rotation is enabled, maybe disable/ gray out the compass icon to indicate rotation is disabled?

As I've written recently describing my confusion on this topic - Rotate map button is blue, compass icon is displayed, so why won't the map rotate?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Because when you are not centered, the map rotates about some imaginary "map screen center" point and not around you ... because you (on your location) are who rotate with the device. And also, if you are not centered, it is most probably because you are moving with the map. And it's a problem I wrote before, that annoys me for years when checking the map in the field and not centered.

Indication of state > I'll do something with it. In current version and even in LM4, I've just forgot so thanks for the reminder.
  •  

Tom

Quote from: menion on January 04, 2020, 23:29:24
Because when you are not centered, the map rotates about some imaginary "map screen center" point and not around you
How about rotating around the REAL screen center (or the shifted one, if the option is enabled). So, in case of a centered map it would still rotate around you, but if the map is not centered, then it would rotate around an obviously desired axis.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on January 04, 2020, 23:29:24
Because when you are not centered, the map rotates about some imaginary "map screen center" point and not around you ... because you (on your location) are who rotate with the device. And also, if you are not centered, it is most probably because you are moving with the map. And it's a problem I wrote before, that annoys me for years when checking the map in the field and not centered.
@menion - sorry I read your post a few times but I don't understand your point. If I have a paper map and real compass I can rotate the map, and don't see why an app shouldn't be able to reproduce this same behavior, really whether GPS is enabled or not. It seems logical & consistent to me that the map be able to rotate around the current map center, if desired.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55

balloni55

QuoteAnd now your good point ... completely disable centering when GPS is manually turned off?
centering or not isn´t the point for me
QuoteI just tried Google Maps and it behaves exactly like this ... the screen remains stuck on the last rotated value.
is google always a role model ?? i don't think so !  ::)

For me there are only two understandable representations of the map, either direction dependent rotating from the magnetic compass / gps or always north up.
Randomly fixed orientations of the map are not understandable
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

@Tom
isn't it how the app behaves now?

@Andrew Heard
Mixing paper map with digital GPS based map is not too logical. With the paper map, your exact location is always "probably here". Also in our case here, you may simply cover your needs by manual rotation with two fingers. Then it will work exactly like your paper map > manually (just disable Settings > Controlling > .Map Screen > Simple multi-touch).

My point .. situation:
- centered map, you are heading to the north, rotate by 90% degree right so the top of the display point to the east
- move map two screens towards the top of the display (to the top)
- and now ... rotate by compass. What is the usage of this, just imagine it.
When you hold your device and turn by 90% (so the top of the display is pointing to the south), you see a map that is far away to the east and you can't say "this is what I will see when looking to the south".

So my main question: what is the use-case to rotate map that is not centered on your current location based on the compass? Because we may rotate by two fingers and agree, it may be rarely useful.

@balloni55
Quote from: balloni55 on January 05, 2020, 12:53:08
QuoteAnd now your good point ... completely disable centering when GPS is manually turned off?
centering or not isn´t the point for me
I wanted to write: completely disable rotation when GPS is manually turned off?

Google Maps aren't the only valid specification of how it has to work. Anyway, they are an inspiration and define how most of users expect it should work. And in the case of center & rotate mechanism, it makes to me perfect sense.

•  

Tapio

Quote from: menion on January 04, 2020, 18:46:00
Hmm, I've just created two new presets and set to first to disable shading
You need to switch between two different shadings. I have attached all necessary files... Shading and profile files.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

Ah, that's the point. Thanks Tapio, attached files helped. Will be fixed in the next version.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tom

Quote from: menion on January 05, 2020, 14:19:39
@Tom
isn't it how the app behaves now?
You are right, the Pro version behaves like this. Only the current beta turns off the map rotation when panning the map.
  •